Singapore Expats

HELP! Jobless due to headhunter's visa mistake

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ahan0723

HELP! Jobless due to headhunter's visa mistake

Post by ahan0723 » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 3:55 pm

Hello, I provided my IPA and other necessary docs to headhunting firm and signed a contract with a company in Singapore. After moving to Singapore with all my households, the day before my start date, headhunter suddenly says my LTVP is not sufficient for the job. Now company says it is difficult to hire me as they have to pay additional 1,200 SGD/mnt compared to the preciously agreed amount and it will take another 3 weeks at least to get me a EP or SP visa so company cannot wait longer. Headhunting firm received my IPA letter starting day 1 so they knew I held a LTVP and my common law/husband is not a Singaporean or a PR holder. They are accusing the company as they are the ones not hiring me for the work pass but while the company and I both agree it is the headhunter's duty to check my status before a foreigner flies into the country. Headhunter said they thought I had a DP not a LTVP but all of these info have been sent and found in our IPA letter so I am certain they did not do their duty to check official documents. Now I am suffering from finncial loss from the overseas move, quitting my previous job, and now I am jobless in Singapore. I want to try seeking for legal advice (but heard it is difficult and expensive in Singapore) so please recommend me someone who can lead me with the litigation. Thanks for reading.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: HELP! Jobless due to headhunter's visa mistake

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 4:08 pm

How do you have an LTVP in the first place? Normally only issued to relatives / spouses. What was the IPA for? There is no IPA for an LTVP AFAIK.

It sounds like a scam on someone's end. Did you pay for this job placement?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ahan0723

Post by ahan0723 » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 4:11 pm

My common law (husband) also found a job in Singapore so he has his EP visa and I got my LTVP throuh his company. I am upset with the fact that if this is not sufficient then headhunter should have informed me before flying to Singapore. They just kept saying 'no worry' 'no worry.' So yeah now this happend.

kozizi

Post by kozizi » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 4:21 pm

If your husband is on EP, then you should have gotten a DP - dont understand how you got an LTVP in the first place :-k DP is for spouse & kids, LTVP is for parents of EP holder. Or is he on PEP..?

And yeah - LTVP holders also get an IPA to enter SG similar to DP/EP.

Did you receive a formal offer letter from the firm and did you sign it ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 4:58 pm

kozizi wrote:If your husband is on EP, then you should have gotten a DP - dont understand how you got an LTVP in the first place :-k DP is for spouse & kids, LTVP is for parents of EP holder. Or is he on PEP..?

And yeah - LTVP holders also get an IPA to enter SG similar to DP/EP.

Did you receive a formal offer letter from the firm and did you sign it ?
#-o MOM/ICA only allowed the LTVP and not the DP as the Common Law Marriage is not a legal marriage in the eyes of the Singapore Government.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ahan0723

Post by ahan0723 » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 5:25 pm

So the Singaporean headhunter should have known this difference before hiring and promising a position for foreign employee right?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 9:50 pm

ahan0723 wrote:So the Singaporean headhunter should have known this difference before hiring and promising a position for foreign employee right?
No. It's up to you as well to do your own due diligence before accepting an offer.

I repeat again my question; did you pay this headhunter any money?

ahan0723

Post by ahan0723 » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 11:21 pm

No I did not pay. The company that hired me is actually my previous company's asian headquarter. So HR told this headhunting firm to contact me and lead me through the hiring process.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Mar 2018 7:09 am

ahan0723 wrote:No I did not pay. The company that hired me is actually my previous company's asian headquarter. So HR told this headhunting firm to contact me and lead me through the hiring process.
Well you need to go back to HR and explain to them how the headhunter has screwed up. Can you get married? That would mean you can get an LTVP and use an LOC to work.

ahan0723

Post by ahan0723 » Tue, 06 Mar 2018 11:33 am

I would like to try maintaining my marraige status for personal reasons. But yes all my boss and HR were surprised. HR said this is the first time such thing happened. So I want to know if there are other expacts who experieneced a similar issue and how they resolved it. HR already contacted me and explained why they cannot proceed with the hiring. They also introduced me to another headhunting firm so I can look for another job. But with my LTVP my monthly salary has to be at least 7000 which is pretty high so my boss said it wont be easy. But later headhunting firm sends a short email saying since I spoke to HR they will cancel the contract. So I emailed them back saying I cannot agree.