Singapore Expats

Bringing Dog to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
gepetohong

Bringing Dog to Singapore

Post by gepetohong » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 1:26 pm

I have not been able to find any posts anywhere regarding this, hoping someone could provide insight. We are preparing to move to Singapore for work, and have a large Labrador mix that has been with us since he was a puppy (9 years old now). I have gotten myself familiar with the requirements at AVA, and will likely hire a pet mover to manage his move. Problem is, we don’t know what the “mix” is, and whether it is one of the restricted breeds. The vets have never speculated, and have always just labeled him as a Lab Mix.

Is there a process that we need to go through to validate he is not a mix of one of the restricted breeds? How does AVA determine that he is okay - breed-wise - to come into Singapore? Or will our vet’s “sign-off” suffice for their approval? Thanks in advance.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Bringing Dog to Singapore

Post by the lynx » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 5:41 pm

gepetohong wrote:I have not been able to find any posts anywhere regarding this, hoping someone could provide insight. We are preparing to move to Singapore for work, and have a large Labrador mix that has been with us since he was a puppy (9 years old now). I have gotten myself familiar with the requirements at AVA, and will likely hire a pet mover to manage his move. Problem is, we don’t know what the “mix” is, and whether it is one of the restricted breeds. The vets have never speculated, and have always just labeled him as a Lab Mix.

Is there a process that we need to go through to validate he is not a mix of one of the restricted breeds? How does AVA determine that he is okay - breed-wise - to come into Singapore? Or will our vet’s “sign-off” suffice for their approval? Thanks in advance.
This is a tough question. We do not have many members posting about the breed dilemma. The vet signed off as just "Lab Mix"? I have friends who moved to Singapore with their dogs that were rescued from shelters, off the street, so the exact breed mix can be questionable. Didn't hear anything about that issue, though.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 03 Mar 2018 8:44 pm

Conduct a genetic test to determine the nature of the mix. Make sure it is a credible, certified lab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

gepetohong

Post by gepetohong » Sun, 04 Mar 2018 12:39 am

Thanks for the responses. He is labeled as “Lab Mix” on our vet papers, and for some reason Vets have been unwilling to speculate on what other breed he may be. We are not keen on doing a genetic test since finding out what his breed isn’t the objective, the objective is to get him approved for Singapore. So unless they ask us to do that, we would rather not go through that.

AVA has contacted us and asked us to send them pictures for approval. That may be the process, so once I go through that I will post back with what I went through.

swanlu

Post by swanlu » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 4:50 pm

Hi, I hope you have solved the problem. If not, my groomer brings in puppies from Australia regularly. They should be familiar with the process. you can contact them at https://thelovelypets.com :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 9:11 pm

swanlu wrote:Hi, I hope you have solved the problem. If not, my groomer brings in puppies from Australia regularly. They should be familiar with the process. you can contact them at https://thelovelypets.com :D
You might want to do some research before buying any dogs imported by local businesses from Australia as a lot of local companies are known to rip off anybody they can including their own families.

https://www.animalsaustralia.org/featur ... roblem.php
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

swanlu

Post by swanlu » Sat, 18 Aug 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out this morning. They sold labrador and labradoodle at 8 grand! Very expensive. Corgi was being sold at 6500. Luxurious and awesome pups but definitely not for me. Then I went to the pet shop at Nex and at Vivo. Their prices are very high too. Are dogs in Singapore this expensive?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 11:47 am

You could take a rescue dog for a lot less
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:28 pm

I second PNGMK. Do not buy a dog in Singapore, many of the breeders have unethical profiteering practices and buying a dog at sky high prices just encourages it. There are many rescue dogs that need a good home but are shunned by people for shallow reasons like "dangerous because it has a black nose" or "pigmented tongue" or who want a pedigreed trophy dog. These medium sized Singapore Specials are affectionate, good-natured and better suited to Singapore weather/environment than non-native dogs breeds (e.g. my SS prefers an open window to aircon anyday). There are several animal welfare groups which will help you adopt such dogs often with volunteer fosterers till the find their "forever home" and they essentially do this for free for the betterment of Singapore's abondoned/stray dog population. PM me if you want the contacts of a few such groups (you could probably find on google also)