Singapore Expats Forum

Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
almondize18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2018

Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby almondize18 » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 4:54 pm

Hi all,

I recently received my approval in principle letter for Singapore citizenship and am wondering about the journey from approval in principle to full citizenship e.g. new NRIC, red passport etc.. So far the steps I have identified are:

Receive approval in principle letter
Complete eJourney
Attend Experiential Journey
Attend Community Sharing Session
Receive formal approval letter
Renounce former citizenship and get document confirming this
Register for Singapore citizenship
Attend Singapore citizenship ceremony and get citizenship certificate / new NRIC

Three questions for people who have been through this process:

1. Am I missing any steps?
2. How long does it take from receiving approval in principle to registering for Singapore citizenship?
3. At which point do you get the Singapore passport?

Thank you for your help in advance!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1576
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 8:19 pm

almondize18 wrote:Hi all,

I recently received my approval in principle letter for Singapore citizenship and am wondering about the journey from approval in principle to full citizenship e.g. new NRIC, red passport etc.. So far the steps I have identified are:

Receive approval in principle letter
Complete eJourney
Attend Experiential Journey
Attend Community Sharing Session
Receive formal approval letter
Renounce former citizenship and get document confirming this
Register for Singapore citizenship
Attend Singapore citizenship ceremony and get citizenship certificate / new NRIC

Three questions for people who have been through this process:

1. Am I missing any steps?
2. How long does it take from receiving approval in principle to registering for Singapore citizenship?
3. At which point do you get the Singapore passport?

Thank you for your help in advance!


After receiving formal approval letter, you will renounce your existing citizenship. Then, you can register for singapore citizenship (oath taking). Immediately after Oath Taking you are considered as SG Citizen. On the same day you can apply for SG Passport and it will take 7 days to process.

2. IPA to Oath Taking - Depends 2-4 months.

3. For Receiving your IC and Citizenship certificate - It will be given at the Citizenship Ceremony and this might take another 1-4 months from Oath Taking.

almondize18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2018

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby almondize18 » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 9:52 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
After receiving formal approval letter, you will renounce your existing citizenship. Then, you can register for singapore citizenship (oath taking). Immediately after Oath Taking you are considered as SG Citizen. On the same day you can apply for SG Passport and it will take 7 days to process.

2. IPA to Oath Taking - Depends 2-4 months.

3. For Receiving your IC and Citizenship certificate - It will be given at the Citizenship Ceremony and this might take another 1-4 months from Oath Taking.


Thank you for this quick reply! Super helpful. I am planning to complete the community sharing session by mid-March; do you know how long after this session I’ll get the formal approval letter? I remember applying for SC and being so shocked that my document submission appointment was only seven months after submitting the application :shock:

I also hope it doesn’t take a long time to go from getting the formal letter to going down and taking the oath! The renunciation process for my nationality should be pretty fast I think, so hopefully I can become a Singaporean soon :D

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1576
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:51 pm

almondize18 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
After receiving formal approval letter, you will renounce your existing citizenship. Then, you can register for singapore citizenship (oath taking). Immediately after Oath Taking you are considered as SG Citizen. On the same day you can apply for SG Passport and it will take 7 days to process.

2. IPA to Oath Taking - Depends 2-4 months.

3. For Receiving your IC and Citizenship certificate - It will be given at the Citizenship Ceremony and this might take another 1-4 months from Oath Taking.


Thank you for this quick reply! Super helpful. I am planning to complete the community sharing session by mid-March; do you know how long after this session I’ll get the formal approval letter? I remember applying for SC and being so shocked that my document submission appointment was only seven months after submitting the application :shock:

I also hope it doesn’t take a long time to go from getting the formal letter to going down and taking the oath! The renunciation process for my nationality should be pretty fast I think, so hopefully I can become a Singaporean soon :D


1week~1 month max for you to get the formal approval letter after completing all components of SC Citizenship Journey

synkronize
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 08 May 2007

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby synkronize » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 9:24 am

Out of curiousity, during this entire process, can you still travel in and out of the country? Or would there be a time that you have to take note of to not book any travels because you would not have any supporting papers/documentation to leave the country?

coollz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 05 Dec 2013

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby coollz » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:26 am

You can no longer travel once you renounce your citizenship at your embassy until you received your Singapore passport. Your embassy will either cancel or impound your passport once you renounce your citizenship.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1576
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 9:15 pm

coollz wrote:You can no longer travel once you renounce your citizenship at your embassy until you received your Singapore passport. Your embassy will either cancel or impound your passport once you renounce your citizenship.


+1. Agree

synkronize
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue, 08 May 2007

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby synkronize » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks. I’m aware after renouncing my citizenship I won’t be able to travel until I get issued a SG passport. Typically how long does this take any idea or gauge?

I have some upcoming travels happening in Aug and Oct and I’m just worried it gets affected. First leg of my journey with everything scheduled is meant to complete by end May before second leg happens ie renounciation.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1576
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Journey from IPA / AIP to full citizenship?

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 01 May 2018 2:28 pm

synkronize wrote:Thanks. I’m aware after renouncing my citizenship I won’t be able to travel until I get issued a SG passport. Typically how long does this take any idea or gauge?

I have some upcoming travels happening in Aug and Oct and I’m just worried it gets affected. First leg of my journey with everything scheduled is meant to complete by end May before second leg happens ie renounciation.


It depends on how fast you can schedule yourself for SC registration. After SC registration you would need 3-7 days to get your passport (They can expedite if it is really urgent). So, totally I would say 10 days after renouncing your citizenship.

But to complete your SG Citizenship Journey - 1.5-2 Months.
To get your final approval letter after SG Citizenship Journey - 2-3 weeks
Renounciation of Citizenship - Depends on local embassy. Varies for different Nationality
SC Registration and getting Passport - 7 -10 days


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest