Singapore Expats

Will my application for PR be approved automatically if my unborn child is a Singaporean citizen?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Pinningfor2

Will my application for PR be approved automatically if my unborn child is a Singaporean citizen?

Post by Pinningfor2 » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 9:50 pm

I am American and is currently on LTVP. My wife is SC and she is currently pregnant. Does this help my application for Singapore PR status? I’ve heard that if my child is a SC, I’ll get PR immediately. I would like to confirm this.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Will my application for PR be approved automatically if my unborn child is a Singaporean citizen?

Post by bro75 » Sat, 24 Feb 2018 9:22 am

As far as I know, there is no automatic PR approval in Singapore. In your case, you must apply for it under family ties with your wife as the sponsor. As long as the government sees that your marriage is not of convenience, then there should be a good chance of approval.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Will my application for PR be approved automatically if my unborn child is a Singaporean citizen?

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 24 Feb 2018 7:39 pm

No but it won't hurt. The biggest issue is that if you're white the number of PR approved is very low per year. This one falls into the category of typical Singapore urban myth. Fortunately the Internet is slowly removing belief in such things.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Pinningfor2

Post by Pinningfor2 » Sat, 24 Feb 2018 7:46 pm

So there’s a quota per year for white people. When does that quota get renew?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 25 Feb 2018 1:17 pm

Pinningfor2 wrote:So there’s a quota per year for white people. When does that quota get renew?
Read the statistics annual report.

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/docs/default ... on2017.pdf

In there you'll see that immigration is used in part to maintain the racial balance as it was many years ago (in short, Malays and Indians [some] outbreed the Chinese so immigration is used to top up the Chinese birth to death ratio). Because 'others' (aka Whites and other indeterminables) were post independence a small % of the popn (2% - and no you cannnot include Eurasians - they are a distinctly different group) and because PR approvals hover around 25,000 p.a. we can infer that the total % of 'others' approved is probably LESS than 2% and hence less than 500 persons per annum. Families who have a clear pathway to productive citizenship are favoured I believe as ICA clearly use immigration to boost pop'n - this approach to using PR to SC disfavours westerners because I suspect the ICA statistics show that very few % of Aussies, Kiwis, Eurotrash and North Americans actually sake up SC from having PR.

There is no quota period like the USA or Australia but my gut feeling is that it's like a sliding window through the year.....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Pinningfor2

Post by Pinningfor2 » Sun, 25 Feb 2018 2:18 pm

Thank you so much. This information is highly helpful to me. So if it does get denied, I’ll understand it better.