Singapore Expats

PR rejected. Got the "PR kiss of death"?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
borneankid

PR rejected. Got the "PR kiss of death"?

Post by borneankid » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 12:07 pm

Last edited by borneankid on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: PR rejected. Got the "PR kiss of death"?

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 1:09 pm

borneankid wrote:Hi all,
New to the forum. To go straight to the point, I’d like to list out my details for all to assess.
Years of stay: 1 y 2 mo when documents submitted
Application status rejected: 7 months since doc submitted (this month)
Nationality: Msian(east) chinese male
Industry : audit
Income: 33k
Education:
Dip and adv dip in accounting (msian grad) – 4.5 years (gpa 3/4)
MSc in Finance (uk grad. No name uni) – 1 year (distinction)
ACCA affiliate (passed the exams) accumulating work experience
Dependents : none
Relatives in sg : none

My friend who has exact education background (same cert, same uni, marginally better grades, same industry, same sized firm, same income bracket) as me submitted her docs 6 months earlier than me and got approved the same time I did. Only difference I can think of is that she has a cousin that is a SG citizen and our gender.

At first, I was thinking my rejection is definitely due to my low income and length of stay in sg. But upon lurking the forums for a bit, apparently “you can reside here as long as your work permit is valid” is the “PR kiss of death”, which worries me a bit. My letter also did not have the paragraph that states to reapply in 2 years. See viewtopic.php?t=107795

How should I proceed and if the PR kiss of death is still applicable in 2018.
Moving forward, 2018 expected income to increase to 37k+. EP in process of renewal for 2 years starting may’18.
You have only been here 5 minutes , just show some staying power and applying again in a couple of years.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 1:17 pm

Barnsley wrote:just show some staying power and applying again in a couple of years.
+1 for this

borneankid

Post by borneankid » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 1:27 pm

Barnsley wrote:
New to the forum. To go straight to the point, I’d like to list out my details for all to assess.
Education:

My friend who has exact education background (same cert, same uni, marginally better grades, same industry, same sized firm, same income bracket) as me submitted her docs 6 months earlier than me and got approved the same time I did. Only difference I can think of is that she has a cousin that is a SG citizen and our gender.

At first, I was thinking my rejection is definitely due to my low income and length of stay in sg. But upon lurking the forums for a bit, apparently “you can reside here as long as your work permit is valid” is the “PR kiss of death”, which worries me a bit. My letter also did not have the paragraph that states to reapply in 2 years. See viewtopic.php?t=107795

Moving forward, 2018 expected income to increase to 37k+. EP in process of renewal for 2 years starting may’18.
You have only been here 5 minutes , just show some staying power and applying again in a couple of years.
I get what you mean. Just that it's been pretty tough to move up the corporate ladder (esp for entry level positions like mine) without a PR. Smaller companies that have reached out to me have said that they are only looking for locals/pr due to FW quota. Such irony, need PR to get better paying job, need better paying job to get PR. #-o

Taking into account the "PR kiss of death" paragraph and no text stating to reapply in x amount of months, does that mean that I can still reapply after 1-2 years? PR quotas have been shrinking which worries me a bit.

Besides, my gf is looking to BTO already. 3-4 years is a long wait, she complained.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 2:47 pm

borneankid wrote:
Besides, my gf is looking to BTO already. 3-4 years is a long wait, she complained.
She Singaporean?

If so she should know how it works.

Was she questioning your manhood following the rejection? :o

Do Malaysians count towards a quota as you can get a different pass no?

Though East malaysians maybe get different treatment.

If you go onto the MOM website when it comes to quota calculation Malaysians dont appear to be in the calculation , unless maybe they count as 0.5FT

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 7:33 pm

I received the KoD when I applied 2 years into my EP.

Got new job, pay rise, had baby Daughter then was able to get PR 2 years later.

Try and replicate that, you have a massive advantage with your race and gf...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

nightwind

Post by nightwind » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 10:18 am

Education:

May I know what do you mean “and got approved the same time I did” for your friend?

Her application was approved in this month too or do you mean that her application was approved after 7 months of application?

borneankid

Post by borneankid » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 3:52 pm

Barnsley wrote:
borneankid wrote:
She Singaporean?

If so she should know how it works.

Was she questioning your manhood following the rejection? :o

Do Malaysians count towards a quota as you can get a different pass no?

Though East malaysians maybe get different treatment.

If you go onto the MOM website when it comes to quota calculation Malaysians dont appear to be in the calculation , unless maybe they count as 0.5FT

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
She knows how it works. just that talks of BTO only 6 months into our rs sounds a bit too quick for a non-singaporean, but i definitely understand where she's coming from. Now that i need to reapply for my PR, 1-2 years>BTO queue another 1 year (if lucky). then for the BTO to complete another 4-5 years.

Not sure about Msian's having a diff set of quota. Can you provide some source for me to read more about?

borneankid

Re: PR rejected. Got the

Post by borneankid » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 3:53 pm

BBCDoc wrote:I received the KoD when I applied 2 years into my EP.

Got new job, pay rise, had baby Daughter then was able to get PR 2 years later.

Try and replicate that, you have a massive advantage with your race and gf...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! nice to know that the KoD is not necessarily a KoD anymore. :) Dont think GF plays a role in my application(future) though. Does it?

borneankid

Post by borneankid » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 3:55 pm

nightwind wrote:
Education:

May I know what do you mean “and got approved the same time I did” for your friend?

Her application was approved in this month too or do you mean that her application was approved after 7 months of application?
Got approved the same week as I did. We arrived in SG also during the same month. Meaning she submitted her documents 8 months since she first arrived, waiting another 1 year 1 month, and got approved. Not sure what was the dealbreaker between her credentials and mine. Care to give it a shot?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 4:26 pm

borneankid wrote: Not sure what was the deal breaker between her credentials and mine. Care to give it a shot?
You and your friend are 2 different people for starters, not even the same sex, and you separate applications.

This is how it works in Singapore, there is no criteria set in stone for approval , I am surprised your friends haven't told you this.

I appreciate its often hard for a Malaysian Chinese person to accept PR rejection especially when their friends and colleagues are getting approval left right and centre. , but it is what it is and if you stick with working in Singapore for a couple more years then re-apply then I think you shouldn't have an issue.

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 7:19 pm

There is no such thing as the PR kiss of death. I initially got rejected with the same letter.....until three years later upon me was bestowed thy PR.

Right lads off you go.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:43 am

CashewNut wrote:There is no such thing as the PR kiss of death. I initially got rejected with the same letter.....until three years later upon me was bestowed thy PR.

It would be interesting to note the changes between your first application and the application filed 3 years later. Most of those Kiss of Death letters were/are a result of duplicate application with nothing substantially changes aside from possible a COLA each year. We do know a several who have turned this around but in almost all cases, there were substantial changes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:54 am

In my case it was new employer, won some awards, extra 4 years of residence under my belt (when I applied only had one year) and roughly a 50% increase in monthly base salary due to job change).....

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Tue, 27 Feb 2018 11:23 am

CashewNut wrote:There is no such thing as the PR kiss of death. I initially got rejected with the same letter.....until three years later upon me was bestowed thy PR.

True. ICA kissed me three times before my PR approved.