Singapore Expats

Citizenship application status still pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Citizenship application status still pending

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 21 Sep 2018 2:00 pm

Archams wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
stelllla wrote:I submitted in Nov 2017 the status is still pending
Too early to expect a result..Mine took 1 year and 3 months.
I applied in Nov 2017 too... Why it takes so long? What do they check?
Not even 1 year and you are rushing?

zap1201

Post by zap1201 » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 4:43 pm

Hi, I submitted my SC application (with family, wife and 2 daughters) in Aug 2017. Status still says pending. Going by the comments, it seems this long review period is pretty standard nowadays.

However, wanted to seek feedback if I should be taking this as a positive? i.e. are there stats/data points indicating a high degree of success, if the waiting period is > 1 year? I have been making regular trips to ICA to submit additional documents and the last couple of times I was told the application is with the 'highest officer'. Does that mean anything at all?

Not from a preferred race, household income more than a few 100k per annum, been a PR for about 9 years.

Very much appreciate inputs from people on the forum. Many thanks!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 4:57 pm

zap1201 wrote:Hi, I submitted my SC application (with family, wife and 2 daughters) in Aug 2017. Status still says pending. Going by the comments, it seems this long review period is pretty standard nowadays.

However, wanted to seek feedback if I should be taking this as a positive? i.e. are there stats/data points indicating a high degree of success, if the waiting period is > 1 year? I have been making regular trips to ICA to submit additional documents and the last couple of times I was told the application is with the 'highest officer'. Does that mean anything at all?

Not from a preferred race, household income more than a few 100k per annum, been a PR for about 9 years.

We have seen waiting period as long as 15 months and still rejected. So, there is no pattern that if waiting period is more than 1 year it will ALWAYS be approved.

Even if it is with the highest officer, he/she can still reject it at the highest level if needed.

So, overall dont try to judge based on a pattern. Sit back and relax

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 9:19 pm

zap1201 wrote:Hi, I submitted my SC application (with family, wife and 2 daughters) in Aug 2017. Status still says pending. Going by the comments, it seems this long review period is pretty standard nowadays.

Just my view. Any SC application from PR for around 9-10 years has least chance of success. That’s because their PR were approved back in 2008-09 when almost anyone could be PR.

The environment now is very different.

In any case, I still hope you have a successful outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakulii
Regular
Regular

Post by Bakulii » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 9:39 pm

bcheng74 wrote:

Just my view. Any SC application from PR for around 9-10 years has least chance of success. That’s because their PR were approved back in 2008-09 when almost anyone could be PR.

That's not 100% correct, imho. PR and SC applications are treated with different set of guidelines and requirements.

When i submitted application for my son's SC recently, they requested some additional clarification and supporting evidence a few months later for a particular document. I asked why there were no problems accepting that same document during his PR application years ago and the officer said they vet documents more thoroughly for SC applications.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:20 pm

bcheng74 wrote:

Inclined to agree with you there actually. But then again, according to the government, PR is a step towards SC. If they aren’t going to give SC to a PR who was given that in 2008-2009, why do they still continue to renew their PRs?

Also, just curious, but what would you think of my case? 2nd gen PR here since 2005 (studied here since sec sch), not from preferred race, average salary.

zap1201

Post by zap1201 » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:38 pm

Well, my wife’s and elder daughter’ PR was approved in 2015, which I presume was a tougher environment vs. 2009.

zap1201

Post by zap1201 » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:41 pm

mystic_river wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:

Inclined to agree with you there actually. But then again, according to the government, PR is a step towards SC. If they aren’t going to give SC to a PR who was given that in 2008-2009, why do they still continue to renew their PRs?

Also, just curious, but what would you think of my case? 2nd gen PR here since 2005 (studied here since sec sch), not from preferred race, average salary.
Well, my wife’s and elder daughter’ PR was approved in 2015, which I presume was a tougher environment vs. 2009.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Citizenship application status still pending

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:53 pm

mystic_river wrote: Inclined to agree with you there actually. But then again, according to the government, PR is a step towards SC. If they aren’t going to give SC to a PR who was given that in 2008-2009, why do they still continue to renew their PRs?

If you look at the region of origin of new PR (and SC) granted, the gahmen has enough stock from the S.E.A pool to convert to citizens, especially those from across the Causeway, in order to maintain the ethnic mix of SC population. Unfortunately, some of those who obtained their PR (rather easily) during 2007-09 do not fit into that pool.

Most of them would have obtained their PR through the PTS scheme so as long as they are gainfully employed in SG, the gahmen will renew their REP. However, if they lose their jobs or retire or stay out of SG for a prolonged period, then they can kiss their REP goodbye.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Oct 2018 8:54 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
mystic_river wrote: Inclined to agree with you there actually. But then again, according to the government, PR is a step towards SC. If they aren’t going to give SC to a PR who was given that in 2008-2009, why do they still continue to renew their PRs?

If you look at the region of origin of new PR (and SC) granted, the gahmen has enough stock from the S.E.A pool to convert to citizens, especially those from across the Causeway, in order to maintain the ethnic mix of SC population. Unfortunately, some of those who obtained their PR (rather easily) during 2007-09 do not fit into that pool.

Most of them would have obtained their PR through the PTS scheme so as long as they are gainfully employed in SG, the gahmen will renew their REP. However, if they lose their jobs or retire or stay out of SG for a prolonged period, then they can kiss their REP goodbye.
Besides, it would require tremendous resources to make a proper judgement for revoking PR (refusing REP) based on the potential of the PRs to became the SCs. Right now is kept simple and easy to asses.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Sat, 20 Oct 2018 1:20 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:Most of them would have obtained their PR through the PTS scheme so as long as they are gainfully employed in SG, the gahmen will renew their REP. However, if they lose their jobs or retire or stay out of SG for a prolonged period, then they can kiss their REP goodbye.
Yep. Government doesn't revoke PR's or reject REP renewal willy-nilly. You're officially sponsored by the government, permanently settled, often with your entire immediate family & possibly a home owner (well, leasee :D) having contributed significant assets into public housing. As a PR you've potentially served in the Army. Having a steady job, living in SG & generally staying out of trouble, the government will maintain your status.

Conversely, work pass holders of any kind has zero personality in SG, being 100% the responsibility of the company employing them. It's just business. Renewals are never guaranteed.

zap1201

Post by zap1201 » Mon, 31 Dec 2018 1:14 am

Two more months have gone by, so now 16 months and counting...

SGtraveler

Post by SGtraveler » Fri, 04 Jan 2019 2:18 pm

Hi guys,

After reading many posts here on the forum regarding SC application, I would like to share my story:

35 years old
Single
120K annual income at application time
PR since 2013
Mixed race
EU passport
Applied online in November 2016
Submitted documents in June 2017
Received my IPA in the letterbox on 24 December 2018.

Currently doing my SGJourney. It was a long waiting time, but well worth the wait!

Good luck to everyone applying for SC!

Bakulii
Regular
Regular

Post by Bakulii » Fri, 04 Jan 2019 4:20 pm

Congrats, SGtraveler!

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Fri, 04 Jan 2019 4:54 pm

Congrats!

Sometimes I wonder if the norm for the processing time nowadays is 12-18 months. If it is, ICA should put that instead of 6-12 months. At least then there won't be all the people here asking why their application is taking so long...