Singapore Expats

Ex singaporean - marrying singaporean

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
alowahboy

Ex singaporean - marrying singaporean

Post by alowahboy » Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:06 pm

1. Ex-singaporean;
2. Left Singapore at 8 years old;
3. Never returned to live permanently since the age of 8;
4. Deferred NS to age of 21 on basis of dual citizenship;
5. Did not complete NS;
6. Renounced SC at 21

I am a lawyer with 5 years experience. Salary about 120k p.a.

I am marrying a Singaporean.

What are the chances of me obtaining -

1) EP;
2) LTVP; or
3) SPR

Would my chances increase if I have kids born in Singapore?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Ex singaporean - marrying singaporean

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:39 pm

You took all the necessary steps to legally ensure that you weren't required to do NS?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:41 pm

IANAL but read Para 2 of this: https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/dam/mfa/ ... enship.pdf

..there will be an adverse affect on your immediate or future applications of any form of work/student passes and visa entry into Singapore....

that seems to rule anything out in the most obvious way... however - no harm in trying.

Para 1 is just as damning.

You would have seen this form when you renounced I assume?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

alowahboy

Post by alowahboy » Thu, 22 Feb 2018 3:00 pm

PNGMK wrote:IANAL but read Para 2 of this: https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/dam/mfa/ ... enship.pdf

..there will be an adverse affect on your immediate or future applications of any form of work/student passes and visa entry into Singapore....

that seems to rule anything out in the most obvious way... however - no harm in trying.

Thanks for your reply. I did read it but I really did not have much of a choice when I renounced. I was taken out of Singapore as my parents worked overseas. I acquired Australian citizenship when I was there. At 21, I actually asked for further deferment from NS (4 months) to complete my law degree. CMPB refused and said that I can be called up anytime in the next 2 months.

The university did not hold credit points for more than 12 months. So i was pretty much screwed.

My brother was in the same position as me and was granted deferment at 21 (Medical degree). The only difference in circumstance was our degrees and mine was post celebrity pianist Melvyn Tan.

I was prepared to come back but I could not secure that deferment. I went to the MP at my grandparent's constituency and they too were unable to help after writing in on by behalf.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 Feb 2018 3:32 pm

alowahboy wrote:
PNGMK wrote:IANAL but read Para 2 of this: https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/dam/mfa/ ... enship.pdf

Thanks for your reply. I did read it but I really did not have much of a choice when I renounced. I was taken out of Singapore as my parents worked overseas. I acquired Australian citizenship when I was there. At 21, I actually asked for further deferment from NS (4 months) to complete my law degree. CMPB refused and said that I can be called up anytime in the next 2 months.

The university did not hold credit points for more than 12 months. So i was pretty much screwed.

My brother was in the same position as me and was granted deferment at 21 (Medical degree). The only difference in circumstance was our degrees and mine was post celebrity pianist Melvyn Tan.

I was prepared to come back but I could not secure that deferment. I went to the MP at my grandparent's constituency and they too were unable to help after writing in on by behalf.
In retrospect I would have recommended completing the degree and then coming back to face the court martial (if any that - some kids don't get called up for a year) - as you may have missed a few months the penalty would have been minor and you could have completed your NS obligation. That was a pretty crappy law degree if they didn't teach you to think laterally and work that out! (Mind you 53 years of having a cynical view of the world helps too). Anyways I don't have an answer for you - the gahmen run this as a closed box as you probably know. I also successfully completed a M.Eng remotely at UWA by flying down for exams only... so I don't quite understand why you could not have balanced it all out but what's done is done.

The other issue is whether (ignoring passes and all) is whether your LLB even gets you in to sit for the Bar in Singapore..... or Malaysia? Maybe take up lawyering in Malaysia?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 23 Feb 2018 8:25 am

alowahboy wrote:1. Ex-singaporean;
2. Left Singapore at 8 years old;
3. Never returned to live permanently since the age of 8;
4. Deferred NS to age of 21 on basis of dual citizenship;
5. Did not complete NS;
6. Renounced SC at 21

I am a lawyer with 5 years experience. Salary about 120k p.a.

I am marrying a Singaporean.

What are the chances of me obtaining -

1) EP;
2) LTVP; or
3) SPR

Would my chances increase if I have kids born in Singapore?
I would say chances is low - nil. I have an ex-colleague who was a Malaysian and Singapore PR (second generation). He did not complete NS because he was studying in Australia. He recently received a job offer in Singapore (about $200k p.a.) and his EP was not approved after 3 months wait. In the end, the job offer was revoked. This was recently, i.e. 2-3 months ago.