Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore as a spouse

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jcloiseau

Moving to Singapore as a spouse

Postby Jcloiseau » Sun, 18 Feb 2018 3:43 am

Hello there,
Straight shooter type answers welcome:
My wife's company is relocating her in SG as head of apac office so after 12 years in Prague we're moving to SG in early July 2018.
They will take care of my dp and said they will help to get me a job but I know the drill, better not count on it.
I'm an it pro with >10 years xp working in marketing sales, internal audit, incident management, risk management, information security and risk management. Today I am the head of Identity and access management for one of the top pharmaceutical company in the world (there is an office in SG but our location strategy is not in line with me being in SG so I know it will be a challenge for an internal move).
Now I've read around, "the ep is awfully hard to get, SG for singaporeans first and you should get a job before you get here, etc."
I already shortlisted companies and people I will reach out to on LinkedIn but this is where I need your help:
What else can I do in the absence of a pre-established network?
Besides LinkedIn what are the best place to look for contacts and opportunities?
If we arrive and I still don't have a job, what are the best place to build a network and become visible to the decision makers?

Thank you for your help!!

JC

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: Moving to Singapore as a spouse

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 18 Feb 2018 8:25 pm

Just bang away at networking. You're not likely to get a job via the God awful HR folk here although true talent recruitment might work.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

Jcloiseau

Postby Jcloiseau » Sun, 18 Feb 2018 9:38 pm

PNGMK wrote:Just bang away at networking. You're not likely to get a job via the God awful HR folk here although true talent recruitment might work.
Thank you.
This is a challenge everywhere indeed. Besides this forum and targeting people who may be interested on LinkedIn, are there any other forums or groups that are popular with professionals in SG?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 7:21 am

Jcloiseau wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Just bang away at networking. You're not likely to get a job via the God awful HR folk here although true talent recruitment might work.
Thank you.
This is a challenge everywhere indeed. Besides this forum and targeting people who may be interested on LinkedIn, are there any other forums or groups that are popular with professionals in SG?

I once was in IT but left it a decade ago. I would look for professional groups with deep domain knowledge. For example I have transitioned to oil and gas so I attend the Society of Petroleum Engineers and the SEAPEX meetings. I have seen people find work via those networks.

I don't know your domain expertise but I assume you must have one... without it you're competing against a million guys and gals in Bangalore.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

Jcloiseau

Postby Jcloiseau » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 7:22 am

PNGMK wrote:
Jcloiseau wrote:
Thank you.

I once was in IT but left it a decade ago. I would look for professional groups with deep domain knowledge. For example I have transitioned to oil and gas so I attend the Society of Petroleum Engineers and the SEAPEX meetings. I have seen people find work via those networks.

I don't know your domain expertise but I assume you must have one... without it you're competing against a million guys and gals in Bangalore.
Thank you for the tip! I should look for one of those!