Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore to attend Duke-NUS; Possibility of getting PR for lower tuition?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sibby_44

Moving to Singapore to attend Duke-NUS; Possibility of getting PR for lower tuition?

Post by sibby_44 » Mon, 12 Feb 2018 4:59 pm

I am a Canadian citizen about to graduate with a B.Sc from a Canadian university. I have always wanted to become a doctor, so I followed the standard Canadian track: B.Sc first, then MD. Then I met my Singaporean boyfriend and I began to reassess my grand plans for life. We have been talking about marriage lately, and I can see myself starting a life in Singapore with him. I don't want to give up my dream of being a doctor, but the typical Singaporean track is undergraduate medical school. That ship has already sailed for me. Singapore does, however, have an American-style graduate medical school. Unfortunately, tuition rates for international students are crippling. But rates for PRs are significantly lower.

Some things about me:
I am a 23yo female
I am a Canadian citizen
I currently live in Canada
My mother is a Singaporean citizen/Canadian PR (and my father is a Canadian citizen)
I lived in Singapore for 6 months in 2015 while attending NUS as an exchange student (Student Pass)
I lived in Singapore again for 4 months in 2017 for an internship (Temporary Employment Pass)
My boyfriend of 2 years is also a Singaporean citizen (completing a Master's at NUS)

It is no longer possible to apply for PR as the child of a citizen (age limit is 21), so the only potential routes are as the spouse of a citizen (we have been talking about marriage recently), or as an employment pass holder (need to find employment first). I don't mind delaying my enrolment by a few years if it means lower tuition and some time to work and become more financially stable.

What sorts of factors go in to the decision to grant PR? I certainly have ties to Singapore and would like to spend my life there. However, I am afraid our marriage would be deemed out of convenience (and perhaps rightfully so), causing my application to be rejected. If I am serious about moving to Singapore and eventually attending Duke-NUS, should I start by planning a wedding?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Moving to Singapore to attend Duke-NUS; Possibility of getting PR for lower tuition?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 13 Feb 2018 6:53 am

Marriages of inconvenience has been a hot topic but that should not stop you from legitimately getting married.

However the chances of this working a multiples of chances (PR, marriage success, application at duke, chances of getting scholarships yadda yadda). There's also the time issue - starting from today the earliest you can realistically get PR is 3 to 5 years away IMO. IF you have a clear pathway to doing an MBBS in Canada that is financially affordable I would hesitate to abandon it for a much riskier pathway.

I would check if you can complete a MBBS in Canada and then qualify/specialize in Singapore.

Taxico is our resident Medico and can probably give some ideas on other pathways. There are plenty of foreign doctors here so there must be a logical path for you that doesn't involve lying, cheating, subterfuge and all other other qualities we expect in a medical doctor.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!