Singapore Expats

kids of 2nd generation PR who did not serve ns

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Sujuhai

kids of 2nd generation PR who did not serve ns

Post by Sujuhai » Sun, 04 Feb 2018 3:03 pm

Hello guys, I am currently a 27 year old australian citizen living in australia. As from the title, I lived in Singapore from birth till 18 as a PR did not get to finish my poly and serve NS as my whole family had to leave Singapore, because my father could not find a job and ICA thus did not allow for him to renew his REP. Futhermore he was out of work for close to 2 years and our savings were running dry so my parents decided to move back to australia while withdrawing their CPF(my mom doesnt work). Thus I am not allowed to get pr/ep/sp in Singapore again and I accept this even thought it was due to situations outside my control.

However I would like to ask for the sake of my son whether he would be allowed to migrate to Singapore by himself/with his own family when he grows up as a potential PR/citizen or would he not be allowed to because of his lineage.

thank you all for reading.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: kids of 2nd generation PR who did not serve ns

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 04 Feb 2018 8:41 pm

For your son the usual situation would apply (find a job, get a pass, work your way up to PR or SC over time) I suspect.

Even for you I would not assume the doors are completely closed. If you migrated correctly without "CMPB issues outstanding" you may be ok.

The unfortunate issue is that right now we seem to be in a raise to the bottom with our neighbours and frankly I don't intend to stay on in Singapore once my current job is done as the chances of finding another well paid job are zilch thanks to our friends from the subconn eroding wages.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sujuhai

Post by Sujuhai » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 8:49 am

Interesting, I Guess that might be good news if he wishes to migrate to an Asian country for better prospects and community.

I personally wouldn't mind going back to Singapore with my family for a few years to see how life is there. I am able to go there as a tourist(have did for a couple of times over the years) but I remember signing a form that said the standard "please note that future applications to work , live or study in Singapore will be adversely...", does that mean I still have a chance to return there on an EP/SP assuming a company can sponsor me?

And to PNGMK, do you mind if I ask what age/industry you are in that the job prospects are not so good anymore? Currently I am doing well as a software engineer in aus and salary and everything is okay but the only thing I can complain about is that me and my family cannot fully assimilate into the community here (due to our Asian looks) and the culture is honestly quite different(harder to make "real" friendships that will last).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 9:27 am

Sujuhai wrote:Interesting, I Guess that might be good news if he wishes to migrate to an Asian country for better prospects and community.

I personally wouldn't mind going back to Singapore with my family for a few years to see how life is there. I am able to go there as a tourist(have did for a couple of times over the years) but I remember signing a form that said the standard "please note that future applications to work , live or study in Singapore will be adversely...", does that mean I still have a chance to return there on an EP/SP assuming a company can sponsor me?

And to PNGMK, do you mind if I ask what age/industry you are in that the job prospects are not so good anymore? Currently I am doing well as a software engineer in aus and salary and everything is okay but the only thing I can complain about is that me and my family cannot fully assimilate into the community here (due to our Asian looks) and the culture is honestly quite different(harder to make "real" friendships that will last).
I'm in Oil and Gas. I guess that form makes Singapore hard but it doesn't lock you out of Hong Kong or some of the other booming S/W centres. Australia is hard I agree and I am an Aussie who grew up in PNG and never fully settled back there.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!