Singapore Expats

Alleged Sexual Harassment by Singapore Youtube "influencer" exposes Possible SPF Incompetency

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Alleged Sexual Harassment by Singapore Youtube "influencer" exposes Possible SPF Incompetency

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 7:42 pm

https://coconuts.co/singapore/news/ever ... 2-81656358

The police apparently (according to third party statements) blamed the victim. Shame on them (if this is true).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: Alleged Sexual Harassment by Singapore Youtube "influencer" exposes Possible SPF Incompetency

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 02 Feb 2018 2:45 am

This also boils down to how much faith you have in the Singapore justice system and its law enforcement. Their competence and professionalism in uncovering the truth.

Police officer showed up to search Amos Yee's home and was questioned by his family for his lack of identification, he forgot to bring it with him and did not have the intention of going back to retrieve it from his car. The little India riot, Mas Selamat escape (largest manhunt ever lauched in Singapore) and Canadian bank robber.

I mean SG is small country that is densely-populated. It does not have the geographical terrains of wild, vast land, jungles or rainforest for these criminals to hide out. And with a system (* based on fear, rather than doing the right thing) of highly-regulated human activities (e.g. maid and foreign workers), how many Singaporeans dare harbor these law-breakers? Add to that, the non-existence of gun ownership among citizens, one would think it shouldn't be that difficult for these law enforcers, right?

Quoted taken from the comment section.
"My largest problem here is the extortion. The old he slapped me on the ass, I am local, I will drop the charges if you settle with me for $10000 trick. What does this stem back to? Laziness of course and not wanting to work hard for a dollar. These aren't just stories. This is definitely real, it happened to someone I know who left the moment after he got his passport back. Not in admittance of guilt by any means. But how is a man supposed to explain to his wife and children he is up for charges of sexual harassment even without any cctv evidence or witnesses and just one person's word versus another. Where the locals is the only side which seems to be seen as having any truth in it? Obviously most wouldn't risk getting locked up for 2 -5 years for something they obviously haven't done when their word here means nothing and just end up settling outside the court. Which these bludging skanks are completely aware of. In most countries extortion carries a much harsher penalty than a slap on the ass (not that I condone such behaviour)."
https://www.singledudetravel.com/2013/0 ... tardation/
Last edited by earthfriendly on Fri, 02 Feb 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: Alleged Sexual Harassment by Singapore Youtube "influencer" exposes Possible SPF Incompetency

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 02 Feb 2018 3:07 am

* A fear-based system, and what does that get you? Mediocrity ! Do you think the search for truth, getting to the bottom of things and having an investigative mindsets are considered valuable assets in this kind of climate? And risking one's life and well-being in pursuit of these ideals. I have even heard Singaporean saying if her son is the police officer involved in the riot, of course she will tell him to not get too close to the incident and getting in harm's way :roll: .

Survivalism and self-preservation at its worst. The rules of the jungle.

The justice system can only be as strong as the peoples' will to uphold it.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 02 Feb 2018 1:29 pm

Speaking of mediocrity and the mentality of doing just enough to survive and self-preserve. I have encountered too many lack lustre service myself. I am not surprise at his experience.
A couple years ago on Valentines day I went to buy flowers for my wife at a shopping centre near the raffles hotel, I knew the shop was nearby where I was but couldn't see it. I walked into a shop and asked the assistant politely "Excuse me do you know where the flower shop is around here?". After 5 years here the reply would not surprise me today. "Dunno". It was 2 doors down. Seriously? You spend 8+ hours a day in a shopping centre and you are too lazy to tell me it is 2 doors down because it isn't your job to do so? I absolutely hate this. In almost any other country even with people that barely speak English if you ask for directions the vast majority of people will attempt to assist you. But due to the extreme lazy nature of people here, if it isn't part of their job mandate or in their interests to assist you its a lot easier just to say "dunno" or simply "no". Because "Just 2 doors down that way" would have absorbed a lot more energy and mental thought process.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 03 Feb 2018 8:24 am

To be honest, I don't think it's spite or malice, mostly anyway. I think their reluctance to reply properly may be shyness, or perhaps a lack of confidence in their English, or just not wanting any attention drawn to themselves. Culturally, people aren't as "small-talky" here as they tend to be in the west.

But I've had locals come up to me unsolicited, asking if I need assistance, while I'm gazing at one of the MRT route maps, for instance. Invariably it's the younger generations that do this. Uncles or aunties, not so much.

That said, there's still a considerable contingent of no-hopers too, who won't bother to raise a finger, literally, to hold the elevator when you're a mere 5 steps away and obviously striding to get on. :???:

What blows me away most is that it happens over and over, in my own tower!

I'm still sorta hoping the reason is the above. If not, then wow. :shock:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 03 Feb 2018 9:25 am

There was no mention of spite or malice. Where did that come from? He has specifically indicated that it is out of laziness. Which ties in to my "mediocrity" theme.

You brought up a good point i.e. SG is generally not a communicative culture. It is common for them to use hand or body part gestures in place of words. When asked for directions, instead of responding with words, they may physically step out of the store and point with his fingers / hand as a way of directing you. I do that quite a bit, even in USA. You can take the Singaporean out of Singapore........... :lol: In the beginning, the Apple employee was having a hard time controlling the crowd. Verbal directives like "one step back" just doesn't cut it. It is up to the local guy to come up with the idea of physically moving the bodies in order to start an orderly line at mark 0:52 .

https://www.facebook.com/ChannelNewsAsi ... 870612934/

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 11:16 am

I feel for this father. His three daughters were sexually assaulted by this scum. Parents, for all the love and care that you shower on your children, please take the time to talk to them about the real threats out there. Over 150 victims. How did it get that way? We need to teach our young to speak out if ever they are personally violated. To put an immediate stop on the tracks of these sexual predators.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/victims-fathe ... ories.html

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 1:57 pm

earthfriendly wrote:I feel for this father. His three daughters were sexually assaulted by this scum. Parents, for all the love and care that you shower on your children, please take the time to talk to them about the real threats out there. Over 150 victims. How did it get that way? We need to teach our young to speak out if ever they are personally violated. To put an immediate stop on the tracks of these sexual predators.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/victims-fathe ... ories.html
Revenge isn't the problem... pro-active work to make sure it never happens again is...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 06 Feb 2018 10:38 am

PNGMK wrote:
Revenge isn't the problem... pro-active work to make sure it never happens again is...
True. But if revenge is your thing, he just got another 40 - 125 years on top of the 125 he already had. Don't think we will see much of him again. =D>

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 3:55 am

Photography of air crashes are to be reported to the police now? What is next? What if a tourist posted the photo or video on FB / Youtube when he returns to his home country. Are you gonna drag him back into SG to face charges?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... ?cid=FBcna