Singapore Expats Forum

2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
IUXD
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2018

2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby IUXD » Tue, 30 Jan 2018 7:31 pm

Hello,

I am currently an australian citizen living in Australia but I have lived in Singapore for the first 15 years of my life. However due to my fathers job we(whole family) had to move over to australia permanently and my brother, also a 2nd gen pr was 17 at the time so he did not get to serve ns even though he renounced PR legally.

Currently I am not very happy here and I wish to move back(possibly to become a PR again) but I am wondering whether this is allowed since I am a female but my brother did not get to serve his PR. I am the only one in my family who wishes to return and am wondering whether ICA will accept my application assuming I have the proper qualifications and such.

Thank you.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5807
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 31 Jan 2018 9:07 am

I think you have a potential pathway back as your family appear to have migrated correctly. Your pathway back is finding a job where the employer will sponsor your for an SP or EP. That's the only way open I think.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby okonu » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 11:32 am

Correct - you can come back on same terms as any other Australian passport holder - get employment that will sponsor you.

IUXD
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 30 Jan 2018

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby IUXD » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 3:02 pm

Very well, I could go down that path but is there any possibility that I could possibly become a Singapore PR/citizen after that?(possibly after a few years of living in Singapore with an EP or SP)

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5807
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 3:55 pm

IUXD wrote:Very well, I could go down that path but is there any possibility that I could possibly become a Singapore PR/citizen after that?(possibly after a few years of living in Singapore with an EP or SP)

Yes but your chances are completely unknown and there would be no likely positive weighting given to your ancestry.... And maybe a negative weighting.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby BBCDoc » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 7:55 pm

There’s always a possibility, just like the lottery. You need to move over, work hard and make yourself a shining example to get the attention of the powers that be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Kamikaze
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 27 Sep 2017

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby Kamikaze » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 4:37 am

I would be keen to know the reply you get from ICA and also the application status, if you do proceed forward.

I renounced my son's PR last year as we got transferred on my job. Now my job is made redundant. At the time of transfer it was not time bound and we did not have enough money to put up the security bond. Hence we renounced.

In addition to the agony of being made redundant (owing to business restructuring), I am faced with the prospects of re-applying for my son's PR. All other members of the family have retained the PR.

Any advise will be helpful on how we can approach ICA. We never had any issue of him serving the NS and in fact he was keen to enroll. He is still 17 years now.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5807
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 9:19 am

Kamikaze wrote:I would be keen to know the reply you get from ICA and also the application status, if you do proceed forward.

I renounced my son's PR last year as we got transferred on my job. Now my job is made redundant. At the time of transfer it was not time bound and we did not have enough money to put up the security bond. Hence we renounced.

In addition to the agony of being made redundant (owing to business restructuring), I am faced with the prospects of re-applying for my son's PR. All other members of the family have retained the PR.

Any advise will be helpful on how we can approach ICA. We never had any issue of him serving the NS and in fact he was keen to enroll. He is still 17 years now.



Why don't you create a new thread Kamikaze instead of jumping onto others. Layout as many facts as you can. Your paragraph above is pretty sparse.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby okonu » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 5:55 pm

Kamikaze wrote:I would be keen to know the reply you get from ICA and also the application status, if you do proceed forward.

I renounced my son's PR last year as we got transferred on my job. Now my job is made redundant. At the time of transfer it was not time bound and we did not have enough money to put up the security bond. Hence we renounced.

In addition to the agony of being made redundant (owing to business restructuring), I am faced with the prospects of re-applying for my son's PR. All other members of the family have retained the PR.

Any advise will be helpful on how we can approach ICA. We never had any issue of him serving the NS and in fact he was keen to enroll. He is still 17 years now.


He can still get DP until he is 21 - but time for him to have a plan A that doesn't involve being in Singapore. I presume that he is going to have to get a job/ scholarships if he wants to go to college if paying the bond was tough for you, so it is probably time for him to leave the nest.

mzees
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 14 Mar 2018

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby mzees » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 8:59 am

So what is the proper way for a 2nd gen. male PR to cancel PR (or had it canceled) in case the family migrates out of the country? There are many posts on this board concerning the process for SC but I had troubles finding more consolidated information for the PRs.

For example, does this famous term of enjoying social/economical benefits also applies? Should acquiring the NRIC be avoided? Any age limits? It looks people have done it even crossing the 17yo (16.5) age mark...

User avatar
Adamly2006
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 18 Aug 2017

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby Adamly2006 » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 5:58 pm

IUXD wrote:Hello,

I am currently an australian citizen living in Australia but I have lived in Singapore for the first 15 years of my life. However due to my fathers job we(whole family) had to move over to australia permanently and my brother, also a 2nd gen pr was 17 at the time so he did not get to serve ns even though he renounced PR legally.

Currently I am not very happy here and I wish to move back(possibly to become a PR again) but I am wondering whether this is allowed since I am a female but my brother did not get to serve his PR. I am the only one in my family who wishes to return and am wondering whether ICA will accept my application assuming I have the proper qualifications and such.

Thank you.

You might try, but personally I think the timing your bro renounced his PR status is soooo “coincidental”. You might have your reasons to justify the immigration to Australia. Evading NS is a serious offense, which will not just affect the offender himself but also his families( clearly stated in the application documents).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mzees
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 14 Mar 2018

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby mzees » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:02 am

IUXD wrote:I am currently an australian citizen living in Australia but I have lived in Singapore for the first 15 years of my life. However due to my fathers job we(whole family) had to move over to australia permanently and my brother, also a 2nd gen pr was 17 at the time so he did not get to serve ns even though he renounced PR legally.

I wonder how did he do it legally. According to the board gurus (eg. viewtopic.php?t=108359), he would need to have his PR canceled before the age of 13. Has he resided last 4 years on LTVP?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5807
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:18 am

mzees wrote:
IUXD wrote:I am currently an australian citizen living in Australia but I have lived in Singapore for the first 15 years of my life. However due to my fathers job we(whole family) had to move over to australia permanently and my brother, also a 2nd gen pr was 17 at the time so he did not get to serve ns even though he renounced PR legally.

I wonder how did he do it legally. According to the board gurus (eg. viewtopic.php?t=108359), he would need to have his PR canceled before the age of 13. Has he resided last 4 years on LTVP?


PR cancellation is not an issue (just leave). SC cancellation with outstanding CMPB issues is impossible.

To clarify: cancelling your PR may not erase an NS obligation.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

mzees
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 14 Mar 2018

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby mzees » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:41 am

PNGMK wrote:
mzees wrote:
IUXD wrote:I am currently an australian citizen living in Australia but I have lived in Singapore for the first 15 years of my life. However due to my fathers job we(whole family) had to move over to australia permanently and my brother, also a 2nd gen pr was 17 at the time so he did not get to serve ns even though he renounced PR legally.

I wonder how did he do it legally. According to the board gurus (eg. viewtopic.php?t=108359), he would need to have his PR canceled before the age of 13. Has he resided last 4 years on LTVP?


PR cancellation is not an issue (just leave). SC cancellation with outstanding CMPB issues is impossible.

To clarify: cancelling your PR may not erase an NS obligation.

Thank you. This I understand, but the NS obligation is the unclear part. For example, in the link above, the 13 age limit is mentioned and that later the person is a defaulter. Here, you also mentioned it: viewtopic.php?t=112214 but in the same thread Sundaymorning says it differently.

I understand renouncing will have some nasty effects, this is clear, but it is a different story when one is simply refused pass to work or even longer stay, and different if the country considers such person a criminal. So what would be the case for having it canceled before enlistment but after 13?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5807
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 2nd Gen ex-PR wanting to return

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 2:41 pm

mzees wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
mzees wrote:I wonder how did he do it legally. According to the board gurus (eg. viewtopic.php?t=108359), he would need to have his PR canceled before the age of 13. Has he resided last 4 years on LTVP?


PR cancellation is not an issue (just leave). SC cancellation with outstanding CMPB issues is impossible.

To clarify: cancelling your PR may not erase an NS obligation.

Thank you. This I understand, but the NS obligation is the unclear part. For example, in the link above, the 13 age limit is mentioned and that later the person is a defaulter. Here, you also mentioned it: viewtopic.php?t=112214 but in the same thread Sundaymorning says it differently.

I understand renouncing will have some nasty effects, this is clear, but it is a different story when one is simply refused pass to work or even longer stay, and different if the country considers such person a criminal. So what would be the case for having it canceled before enlistment but after 13?



Has the second gen PR in question received official notices for either call up or applying for an exit permit?
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest