Singapore Expats

Is it illegal to live in Singapore more than a year on 90 day visa (with visa runs)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
talcumpowder

Is it illegal to live in Singapore more than a year on 90 day visa (with visa runs)

Post by talcumpowder » Tue, 30 Jan 2018 3:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I've had some really helpful advice from the folks here before so I'm hoping that the same goodwill can be extended (I will offer more donations to the needy, I promise!) to me again.

To cut a long story short, my lovely partner, who is English and moved here to be with me two years ago and landed a not-so-good job for the sake of an EP, is keen to start his own business. He wants to resign, which obviously means he has to give up his EP status.

My question is - would it be possible for him to stay here for another year or two working from home while doing visa runs? We go on holidays quite regularly so I don’t think it’s going to look anything out of the blue.

And no, marriage is not on the cards yet so that’s out of the question for now. :)

Thanks!

talcumpowder

Re: Is it illegal to live in Singapore more than a year on 90 day visa (with visa runs)

Post by talcumpowder » Tue, 30 Jan 2018 3:15 pm

Sorry guys, had a read through past threads and found my answer!! I have no idea how to delete this thread...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Is it illegal to live in Singapore more than a year on 90 day visa (with visa runs)

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Jan 2018 11:27 pm

talcumpowder wrote:Hi everyone,

I've had some really helpful advice from the folks here before so I'm hoping that the same goodwill can be extended (I will offer more donations to the needy, I promise!) to me again.

To cut a long story short, my lovely partner, who is English and moved here to be with me two years ago and landed a not-so-good job for the sake of an EP, is keen to start his own business. He wants to resign, which obviously means he has to give up his EP status.

My question is - would it be possible for him to stay here for another year or two working from home while doing visa runs? We go on holidays quite regularly so I don’t think it’s going to look anything out of the blue.

And no, marriage is not on the cards yet so that’s out of the question for now. :)

Thanks!
Not only does he have to give up his EP status, he needs to register his new business, then apply for a work permit to work for it. There are many threads in the Business and Careers forums on this subject.

The exception to this rule would be if your LP (lovely partner) were to be operating a business that had no legal presence in Singapore and provided no goods or services in Singapore, then he wouldn't need a work permit. He would still need a legal residence permit of some sort, however. Were you to be married, then this would be a DP or LTVP. Otherwise, he might consider staying employed to retain his EP (for its legal residency benefits), assuming his employer was OK with him starting a business, and, as noted, the business has no connection with Singapore.

And, as you have probably already discerned, working without a permit, and visa runs will get you nothing but a heap of trouble.