Singapore Expats Forum

What if e-REP renewal process is in progress and the REP expires?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
stargazer15

What if e-REP renewal process is in progress and the REP expires?

Postby stargazer15 » Fri, 26 Jan 2018 2:22 am

Dear All
Need clarity on this case.
My REP is about to expire. I live overseas and not working in Singapore currently.
I initiated the REP renewal process online through e-services.The application status is in PENDING state for some time, and now my question is : if the renewal process completes after my REP expiry date , what happens ?Considering the REP is renewed , Will I still lose my PR Since the approval came in after the old REP expiry date, and I was overseas without a valid REP ?
Obviously , if the REP renewal is rejected then this question won't arise.

Appreciate your response!!

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: What if e-REP renewal process is in progress and the REP expires?

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 26 Jan 2018 6:31 am

I'd say you're safe.... note that the eREP system is normally very fast though.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

stargazer15

Postby stargazer15 » Sat, 27 Jan 2018 1:47 am

PNGMK wrote:I'd say you're safe.... note that the eREP system is normally very fast though.

Thanks PNGMK , however my original question remains , will the PR status be gone if the REP renewal is approved past the old REP expiry date?

Appreciate your response.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 27 Jan 2018 8:47 am

The fact that you filed for renewal before expiry keeps you safe as to losing for failure to renew. The real question is whether they will actually renew. That's most likely based on you being none resident and other factors. If it's not renewed it won't be because you filed too late.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Jan 2018 9:14 am

As long as you are in Singapore, no, the PR will not be rescinded. However, should you be out of Singapore, yes, it will be revoked, but if unintentional and you can provide proof to ICA when you return to Singapore they "may" give you a fine and a 1 year REP and an admonition not to repeat it as the next time you will probably lose it permanently.

I've gone as long as 15 months without a valid REP without losing my PR as I never left Singapore during that time. You do not need an REP to remain a PR. HOWEVER, you cannot leave Singapore even to go to JB or Batam as leaving the country without an REP is signalling ICA that you are voluntarily giving up your PR.

stargazer15

Postby stargazer15 » Sat, 27 Jan 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks much All

mps888eng

Postby mps888eng » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 12:46 pm

Hi all,
newbie here and need advice desperately. I'm in the same situation, i initiated eREP renewal but still pending and my current REP expired. I am still working in SG and been in SG for the past 5 years, I dunno why my REP renewal still pending. It's already been 1 week, pass the 5 working days that the system says in check application status. I also emailed ICA, no reply yet.

Is this normal?
How long usually is the process? I check from pass topics usually it is immediate approval? I'm wondering why mine is pending =(
I plan to go back home for CNY but seems like i cannot leave singapore if i havent got rep renewal.

Please advice..

Thanks,
Mps

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 1:17 pm

mps888eng wrote:Hi all,
newbie here and need advice desperately. I'm in the same situation, i initiated eREP renewal but still pending and my current REP expired. I am still working in SG and been in SG for the past 5 years, I dunno why my REP renewal still pending. It's already been 1 week, pass the 5 working days that the system says in check application status. I also emailed ICA, no reply yet.

Is this normal?
How long usually is the process? I check from pass topics usually it is immediate approval? I'm wondering why mine is pending =(
I plan to go back home for CNY but seems like i cannot leave singapore if i havent got rep renewal.

Please advice..

Thanks,
Mps

I wonder if this time of the year (when income taxes are auto filed) is a bad time to apply for REP renewal - reason being is I think the ICA use the IRAS data for employment validation. For those following this thread I'd suggest you set up a reminder and do a renewal exactly 3 months before your REP expires (you cannot do it earlier than 3 months).

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 05 Feb 2018 2:00 pm

mps888eng wrote:Hi all,

Is this normal?

Please advice..

Thanks,
Mps

You will surely get the outcome before CNY

As long as you

- Work in SG
- Been here for atleast 2 years in the last 5 years
- Paid CPF

You don't need to worry.

chengxunloh

Postby chengxunloh » Fri, 09 Feb 2018 4:30 pm

Hi All, I need some advice on the e-REP renewal process as well. My REP expired yesterday on 08-Feb, but till today my renewal application status is still pending. Can I travel out from Singapore if the status is still pending? and will my PR status been cancelled because I travel out without valid REP?

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 09 Feb 2018 4:33 pm

chengxunloh wrote:Hi All, I need some advice on the e-REP renewal process as well. My REP expired yesterday on 08-Feb, but till today my renewal application status is still pending. Can I travel out from Singapore if the status is still pending? and will my PR status been cancelled because I travel out without valid REP?

Come back in on an SVP if not approved before you departure or while you are away. The other option is not to leave if at all if you cannot accept any risk. The fact the you applied before it expired gives you a sort of grace in terms of leaving with an expired permit. If it is renewed when you're away you won't need an SVP.

chengxunloh

Postby chengxunloh » Fri, 09 Feb 2018 4:42 pm

Meaning to say that while duration I'm not Singapore and it's approved, then I don't need to worry much. But however if during the time I enter Singapore and it's still not approved, then I will need to get SVP to enter. Am i right?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Feb 2018 5:55 pm

Good luck on that. I believe they ask if you have been to Singapore before. Depending on the answer and body language, they may or may not put your particulars in the computer system to see what pops up. Should it show you were here as a PR, you could find yourself in some difficulties. The best thing to do is stay put. But if you have a large risk appetite, go ahead and chance it, but remember, when they catch someone deliberately trying to game the system, it usually bodes ill for that person when caught. Good Luck

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 11 Feb 2018 8:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good luck on that. I believe they ask if you have been to Singapore before. Depending on the answer and body language, they may or may not put your particulars in the computer system to see what pops up. Should it show you were here as a PR, you could find yourself in some difficulties. The best thing to do is stay put. But if you have a large risk appetite, go ahead and chance it, but remember, when they catch someone deliberately trying to game the system, it usually bodes ill for that person when caught. Good Luck

I genuinely don't believe there is a risk of losing PR on this basis SMS. I think that having applied for an REP prior to departure is a sign of intention to return and that either the REP will be issued PRIOR or DURING or AFTER the return of the OP with the caveat that if ICA intend not to renew the REP they will not do so regardless of whether the OP has gone on a break or not.

I remember coming back into Singapore with a few days left on my REP - immigration hopefully pointed it out and said "next time you have to use SVP if you don't renew'".

OP's - please keep us up to date - this is a new situation here.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:28 am

I'm pretty sure you are right PNGMK. But I'm pretty risk adverse, to be honest.