Singapore Expats

Any issues with leaving Singapore Early after Employment End-date?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SGMeow

Any issues with leaving Singapore Early after Employment End-date?

Post by SGMeow » Tue, 23 Jan 2018 9:01 am

Dear All,

Would just like to clarify something with Tax Clearances. I have read some of the topics here regarding this but was getting mixed responses when reading.

My situation is as follows:
I am ending my employment contract with my agency 20-Feb. Note that this is a contract end (not termination, or resignation), and I opted to not extend my contract. I have informed them that I will opt not to extend my contract one month in advance.

The Employer keeps a portion of my salary every month, and then they will also withhold the last month salary. I calculated my projected tax per IRAS website, and it will be a case of Tax Rebate (no chance of insufficient salary withheld due to tax).

In addition, I do not have any loans, or monthly subscriptions. The only thing I am maintaining is my monthly rent.

The case is, my last day is 20-Feb. I informed my landlord and the landlord mentioned that I can only stay up to 28-Feb. He mentions that if I stay longer than 28-Feb I have to pay for the whole month of March.

I am currently in talks with my employer and they are saying that it takes generally 7-14 days to clear the tax.

My query to all is that considering the situation above:
1) will I be kept by Immigration and forced to stay in the country until my employer pays my tax? (worst case 14 days)
Or will I be able to leave the country considering that I have a lot of extra money to my employer?
2) If ever, what additional documents do I typically need in case immigration holds me in the airport? Do I need to get any letter from my current employer so that I can leave Singapore earlier?

Thanks for the help....

SGMeow

Re: Any issues with leaving Singapore Early after Employment End-date?

Post by SGMeow » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 7:53 am

*Bump*

Anyone?

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 8:59 am

Your last month's salary had already been held by your employer for any possible tax payable. As a result, your tax liabilities are more than accounted for. There is no reason for you to be concerned about being held back at your departure. in fact the only issue I see is ensuring you get your balance pay sent to you back at your home country.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

SGMeow

Post by SGMeow » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Was just confused why they wanted me to stay longer when its already foregone conclusion that the money they are withholding is significantly more than I would need to pay the taxes.

Am planning to leave my DBS account above the minimum rate, as am expecting that I will still use it for purchases (Xbox Online Marketplace), so can just leave the account open and remit to home country.