Singapore Expats Forum

Driving Singapore Style

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

merlin69

Driving Singapore Style

Postby merlin69 » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 4:26 pm

Driving Singapore Style

I remember driving in Singapore in the late 1990’s and how completely appalling my road manners were; and probably still are. The only thing saving the rest of the road users this time round is the fact that after an extended period of not driving my skills are not quite as sharp as they used to be and I would be a major liability to myself on these roads.

The first rule of driving in Singapore is, don’t. Take a cab. Its cheaper, less stressful and it will make you a better person, improve your karma and not derail you from the path of enlightenment. Besides, whereas ten years ago you couldn’t find a cab to save your own life on Orchard Road on a Saturday afternoon, the stellar performance of the Singapore economy in recent years with the hypercompetent government at the helm has meant that the roads are full of cabs driven by ‘retired’ investment bankers, equity analysts and brokers, and M&A lawyers. If you have to drive then remember, offensive, not defensive driving is the rule in Singapore.

Taking off.
Do not signal when pulling out on to the road. To do so will encourage other road users to quickly block your progress. I cannot explain why this happens but this is how it works. Signaling your intention as you turn to join the flow of traffic is possibly one of the silliest things to do since all it does is cause the traffic to suddenly huddle together to make sure that you cannot make your exit.

Overtaking.
Do not signal when attempting to overtake. In fact, there are situations where it is optimal to signal the opposite of your intentions. Signaling to overtake is another silly thing to do since all it does is does is cause the traffic to suddenly huddle together to make sure that you cannot make execute your manoeuvre.

Cruising.
Do not just cruise. It is imperative to maintain a tight distance between yourself and the car in front of you of no more than a few feet. This is to ensure that no one can cut in your way for whatever reason be it to overtake someone in their own lane, to exit from a parked position, to make a turn, to do whatever it is they wanted to do. They must not be allowed to do that. Why? I do not know. This is how it is in Singapore. To allow someone to do what they want to do is simply unacceptable.

Plan ahead.
Always choose the fastest lane. This is typically the rightmost lane. However, since everyone wants to take the fastest lane, believed to be the rightmost lane, the rightmost lane is almost always the most congested. This leaves the centre and left lanes less crowded. This being Singapore, one of the most congested and crowded places on the surface of the planet, left lanes, centre lanes and right lanes are pretty much chockablock anyway. This leaves the service lane which is meant for broken down vehicles anyway. Singaporeans are quite happy to cruise in the service lane while their brethren stew in their cars in the left, centre and right lanes like a bunch of silly sods. Soon, left, right, centre and service lanes are completely clogged. Welcome to the Garden City.

Highways.
Nascar. Highways are simply roads where one is allowed to drive faster. Distances between cars remains the same, lane discipline remains the same, the paranoia of being overtaken or cut up remains the same. As a result, a squadron of several hundred cars traveling at speed in tight formation is often seen speeding at up to and sometimes beyond 100 km/h on the highway. This is a fascinating and awesome display of skill. In any other country, drivers would be dying like lemmings. In Singapore, the accident rate is fairly low. Obviously tight formation driving has been either taught in schools, passed from one generation to the next as a survival skill or practiced at home on the Playstation.

Parking:
Parking space is scarce. I cannot understand why parking charges are as low as they are. In other countries with market economies, decentralized planning and all that sort of thing, parking charges are eye wateringly expensive. In Singapore its cheap to park a car. Finding parking space is eye wateringly intractable. Upon finding an empty car parking lot, its best to move swiftly up to the lot to block it in the most convenient fashion. You can adjust your way in at your leisure while half a block of tailbacks curse the day you were born.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: Driving Singapore Style

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 5:28 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Mon, 22 May 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 2:49 pm

Anyone ever tried to drive in Milan or Madrid? That's fighting for ever cm... here in singapore driving is actually boring. only 90 kmh on highways makes it hard to stay awake. at least overtaking on both sides makes for a bit of fun.
What singaporeans really can't is sideway parking, in europe leaving more than 5 cm distance to the other car is a waste of space. here people leave a metre just to make sure they can get out....

Savage
Regular
Regular

Postby Savage » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 2:51 pm

If you think that is bad, you should try driving in Bangkok or Bombay...

Pkchukiss

Postby Pkchukiss » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 2:54 am

Incidentally, cab drivers are one of the worst offenders.

I've had some of them lecture me on the finer aspects of driving in the fast lane: "Never let others over-take you. You will lose out."

However, he couldn't answer when I asked him, "What if everyone thought this way?"
Ignorant no more
Visit my blog here

Postby Guest » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 3:23 am

Pkchukiss wrote:Incidentally, cab drivers are one of the worst offenders.

I've had some of them lecture me on the finer aspects of driving in the fast lane: "Never let others over-take you. You will lose out."

However, he couldn't answer when I asked him, "What if everyone thought this way?"

I would have thought that cab drivers would have been the least offenders. I mean, think - the more people that overtake a cab, the longer it takes for the cab to arrive at it's destination, the larger the fee for the passenger.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sun, 20 Feb 2005 6:00 pm

merlin69 wrote:Driving Singapore Style

*giggles*

Better than reading the sunday funnies..... :lol: :lol:

Munichmad

Postby Munichmad » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 2:28 am

seraphim wrote:
merlin69 wrote:Driving Singapore Style

*giggles*

I think driving in Singapore is much better than Paris or Munich. Over there one stands and waits and waits for hours to cross the road if you are a pedestrian :lol:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:42 am

seraphim wrote:*giggles*

:roll: funnier than me? crazier than me??? :P I'm much more regular than the weekly! I cracked you up just last night, didn't I? huh ? huh? :twisted:

Ok, am twisted, 'xcuse me babe, am at work !!!! *lets out a BIG.... sigh*
Plus, alcohol wasn't that great last night...

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:46 am

Sorry Merlin, didn't mean to side-tracked of your thread... :lol:

I get very impatient with a lot of drivers here locally, they are lucky that they don't have the madwolfie behind the wheels, otherwise I would have gotten a lot of demerit points myself *ROFL*...

I'm merely the next sit-in passenger next to the driver, and will go along with what the driver scolds, curse, criticise... and the extra set of eyes to help look out on where the correct turns are, parkling lot, crazy people who just dash across the roads, etc...

Postby Guest » Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:58 pm

madwolfie wrote:
seraphim wrote:*giggles*

:roll: funnier than me? crazier than me??? :P I'm much more regular than the weekly! I cracked you up just last night, didn't I? huh ? huh? :twisted:

Ok, am twisted, 'xcuse me babe, am at work !!!! *lets out a BIG.... sigh*
Plus, alcohol wasn't that great last night...

mad as a madcow disease, hotter than fanglaa-fanglaa, but yeah sex was a bit of a slog too nisht many months ago. Hooooboobshie bong, gooooboobshie bong. bonglabong...woooshayeeeeeeeea

Postby Guest » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:27 am

madwolfie wrote:Sorry Merlin, didn't mean to side-tracked of your thread... :lol:

I get very impatient with a lot of drivers here locally, they are lucky that they don't have the madwolfie behind the wheels, otherwise I would have gotten a lot of demerit points myself *ROFL*...

I'm merely the next sit-in passenger next to the driver, and will go along with what the driver scolds, curse, criticise... and the extra set of eyes to help look out on where the correct turns are, parkling lot, crazy people who just dash across the roads, etc...

What is it with people here who do that....at least LOOK first? I'm an avid jaywalker myself, but really....I've seen people ambling across busy roads, with an expectancy for driver to slow down and let them cross? Madness! Well not quite on Wolfies level, but nearing that. :wink:

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:43 am

Oops...that was me up there...forgot to log in. :roll:

Postby Guest » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 7:15 pm

Put it down to their lack of manners and general intelligence levels.

srikrishnak

Postby srikrishnak » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 7:43 pm

LOL..LOL...
Really a nice topic..I'vent been to europe..But i was in Australia...comparing to other places here parking charges are quite cheap as well as cab charges...
N dunno why the gov is reducing the price of COE so the roads will get more congested.....May be is it good so i can have a car..
Anyway thz really makes me laugh...
Thx a lot to all..