Singapore Expats

FTW working parents without helper

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
V_anessa

FTW working parents without helper

Post by V_anessa » Sun, 21 Jan 2018 6:20 pm

I am working full time (9-6) while my Husband travels a lot. We have no live-in maid and we have been doing ok so far as my current work place is near my Daughter’s childcare (Tampines) so I usually drop her off in the morning and picked her up after work at 6.

But I’m changing job and will be working in town. The school informed me that they have no more space in the school bus thus I will need to find other transportation for my child (which is impossible to find as my child will need to be picked up from the centre door) as well as a part time babysitter.

Should I consider a live-in nanny?
How do you guys ftw parents figure this out?

Thank you in advance!

MrEgon

Re: FTW working parents without helper

Post by MrEgon » Tue, 23 Jan 2018 11:37 pm

I guess in your case, lots of people would just take a helper. Of course maid might cause problems, but maid could also help a lot. In Singapore, maid-topic is a forever-topic. Just read the local newspaper. Maid mistreated / beaeted the baby. 26-year-old Maid had sex with their 14-year-old son. The couple divorced and the woman moved out, but the maid got married to the ex-husband. On the other side, the family don't give enough food to the maid. The man raped their maid. Maid dropped from 8th floor by hanging clothes. The drama has been going on and on all the time...

What is your reason not to have FDW? What was your concern?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: FTW working parents without helper

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jan 2018 9:15 am

Use a maid. Be prepared to through a few. I now do the insurance and MOM paperwork and just look for transfer maids from friends or colleagues when I need a new one. The MOM cost is nothing, the insurance a bit more. That way you don't feel bad to let them go when they are unsuitable or kill your pet rabbit or get pregnant.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!