Singapore Expats Forum

Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
R.Naomi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby R.Naomi » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:53 am

Hi everyone, I am really hoping that I could find some answers here.

Basically, my boyfriend would like to relocate to Singapore and look for a job here. He is a 34 year old French & Portuguese citizen and teaches languages (French & Spanish), he also happens to be very fluent in several other languages (German, English, Portuguese etc; if this helps?). He has more than 4 years of teaching experience and he has taught in boarding schools in England.

I would like to ask if this is considered "good" in the education field? I am not sure as I do not have friends who are teachers and am not one myself. Would he be considered a good and highly sought-for applicant? And what kind of work visa would he need? Would it be better if he applied for International Schools or language specialised schools? Would translating jobs be an option too?

Is there any other way to stay in Singapore without a work/tourist visa?

I know I am asking alot of questions :???: but I really hope I can find someone who can help us! Especially from those who are expat teachers themselves :)

Thank you so much for reading this post! :)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 9:55 am

R.Naomi wrote:Hi everyone, I am really hoping that I could find some answers here.

Basically, my boyfriend would like to relocate to Singapore and look for a job here. He is a 34 year old French & Portuguese citizen and teaches languages (French & Spanish), he also happens to be very fluent in several other languages (German, English, Portuguese etc; if this helps?). He has more than 4 years of teaching experience and he has taught in boarding schools in England.

I would like to ask if this is considered "good" in the education field? I am not sure as I do not have friends who are teachers and am not one myself. Would he be considered a good and highly sought-for applicant? And what kind of work visa would he need? Would it be better if he applied for International Schools or language specialised schools? Would translating jobs be an option too?

Is there any other way to stay in Singapore without a work/tourist visa?

I know I am asking alot of questions :???: but I really hope I can find someone who can help us! Especially from those who are expat teachers themselves :)

Thank you so much for reading this post! :)
Marry him ?

You are a citizen ?

User avatar
R.Naomi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby R.Naomi » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
R.Naomi wrote:Hi everyone, I am really hoping that I could find some answers here.

Basically, my boyfriend would like to relocate to Singapore and look for a job here. He is a 34 year old French & Portuguese citizen and teaches languages (French & Spanish), he also happens to be very fluent in several other languages (German, English, Portuguese etc; if this helps?). He has more than 4 years of teaching experience and he has taught in boarding schools in England.

I would like to ask if this is considered "good" in the education field? I am not sure as I do not have friends who are teachers and am not one myself. Would he be considered a good and highly sought-for applicant? And what kind of work visa would he need? Would it be better if he applied for International Schools or language specialised schools? Would translating jobs be an option too?

Is there any other way to stay in Singapore without a work/tourist visa?

I know I am asking alot of questions :???: but I really hope I can find someone who can help us! Especially from those who are expat teachers themselves :)

Thank you so much for reading this post! :)
Marry him ?

You are a citizen ?



Yes I am a citizen myself and we have thought about this but is there any other option other than marriage?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5805
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:26 am

I have posted many times on how to find work here in a International School. He may be able to.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:55 pm

R.Naomi wrote:
Yes I am a citizen myself and we have thought about this but is there any other option other than marriage?


marriage to a pink IC opens up a lot of options, including LTVP+ .. And ability to work in any job.

User avatar
R.Naomi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby R.Naomi » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:57 pm

PNGMK wrote:I have posted many times on how to find work here in a International School. He may be able to.



Thanks, i'll look them up.

User avatar
R.Naomi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby R.Naomi » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:58 pm

ecureilx wrote:
R.Naomi wrote:
Yes I am a citizen myself and we have thought about this but is there any other option other than marriage?


marriage to a pink IC opens up a lot of options, including LTVP+ .. And ability to work in any job.


I understand that but we're not exactly ready for something like that just yet and we don't really think its right to just get married just for a visa.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby bgd » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:19 pm

R.Naomi wrote:
I understand that but we're not exactly ready for something like that just yet and we don't really think its right to just get married just for a visa.


Gosh, common sense. It's amazing how rare that is, especially when it comes to visas, housing and the like.

There is also a whole tutorial industry here. Hours and work can be pretty tough but it could be a foot in the door if the school route doesn't pan out.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11148
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:20 pm

R.Naomi wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
R.Naomi wrote:
Yes I am a citizen myself and we have thought about this but is there any other option other than marriage?


marriage to a pink IC opens up a lot of options, including LTVP+ .. And ability to work in any job.


I understand that but we're not exactly ready for something like that just yet and we don't really think its right to just get married just for a visa.


That's a very practical and thoughtful perspective. I hope things work out for you.

User avatar
R.Naomi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby R.Naomi » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:51 pm

bgd wrote:
R.Naomi wrote:
I understand that but we're not exactly ready for something like that just yet and we don't really think its right to just get married just for a visa.


Gosh, common sense. It's amazing how rare that is, especially when it comes to visas, housing and the like.

There is also a whole tutorial industry here. Hours and work can be pretty tough but it could be a foot in the door if the school route doesn't pan out.


Yeah, we just don't want to make any rash decisions and end up making things worse than they already are.

User avatar
R.Naomi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 19 Jan 2018

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby R.Naomi » Fri, 19 Jan 2018 1:51 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
R.Naomi wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
marriage to a pink IC opens up a lot of options, including LTVP+ .. And ability to work in any job.


I understand that but we're not exactly ready for something like that just yet and we don't really think its right to just get married just for a visa.


That's a very practical and thoughtful perspective. I hope things work out for you.



Thank you for your well wishes.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Please Help: How to get visa in Singapore?

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:38 am

R.Naomi wrote:
I understand that but we're not exactly ready for something like that just yet and we don't really think its right to just get married just for a visa.


my point is, being married eases lot of things. Including ease of finding jobs ..

Especially now in Singapore... with tightened policies.. marriage to Sc has helped a lot, like I know, foreign spouses able to get jobs not related to their work experience and qualifications, which is hard in other circumstances ..


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests