Singapore Expats Forum

PR for foreigner husband chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kimls
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 08 Nov 2017

PR for foreigner husband chances

Postby kimls » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:49 pm

Hello all.

Would like to ask what would our chances be to obtain PR for my husband. Or anyone in a similar position who has tried applying for PR, please feel free to share your thoughts!! Will ICA also look at the amount of stocks we own??

Me: SC female/27
Education: Masters degree from Melbourne
Income: $3.6k/ month
Industry: Aerospace engineering

Him: Korean/30
Current visa: S Pass - working in Singapore since Nov 2016
Education: Bachelor degree from Korea
Income: $3.6k/ month
Industry: IT

We just registered our marriage in Sept 2017 in Korea.
-

Prior to registering our marriage, I applied the pre-LTVP for him and it got approved within 2 weeks. However, we decided to not put him on the pre-LTVP as being on S Pass has more benefits.
My dad has been rushing us to apply for PR even though I've read from this forum that it would be better to be married for a few years or even with kids. Can anyone share if they have tried applying for PR right after marriage and whether it was successful?

Cheers!

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2295
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: PR for foreigner husband chances

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 1:59 pm

kimls wrote:Hello all.

Would like to ask what would our chances be to obtain PR for my husband. Or anyone in a similar position who has tried applying for PR, please feel free to share your thoughts!! Will ICA also look at the amount of stocks we own??

Me: SC female/27
Education: Masters degree from Melbourne
Income: $3.6k/ month
Industry: Aerospace engineering

Him: Korean/30
Current visa: S Pass - working in Singapore since Nov 2016
Education: Bachelor degree from Korea
Income: $3.6k/ month
Industry: IT

We just registered our marriage in Sept 2017 in Korea.
-

Prior to registering our marriage, I applied the pre-LTVP for him and it got approved within 2 weeks. However, we decided to not put him on the pre-LTVP as being on S Pass has more benefits.
My dad has been rushing us to apply for PR even though I've read from this forum that it would be better to be married for a few years or even with kids. Can anyone share if they have tried applying for PR right after marriage and whether it was successful?

Cheers!


If you search the forum you will read that many applied directly after marriage and almost all are rejected.

That's not to say that you cannot apply , you can do this , just have your expectations realistic, so should they say come back in X months/years you wont be disappointed.

Your Dad sounds like he is from the old school that believes Singapore is still handing out PR/Citizenship to anybody who applies, I think he should do some more research on the reality of the situation these days.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

gold.spot
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 01 Jun 2012

Re: PR for foreigner husband chances

Postby gold.spot » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 6:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, being on S Pass has less benefits than being on LTVP. Being on EP, even, has lesser benefits than LTVP.

kimls
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 08 Nov 2017

Re: PR for foreigner husband chances

Postby kimls » Thu, 18 Jan 2018 1:43 pm

gold.spot wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, being on S Pass has less benefits than being on LTVP. Being on EP, even, has lesser benefits than LTVP.


Would you mind sharing the benefits for LTVP in comparison with SP? I'v always thought that being under SP, the employer will cover the pass holder's insurance. and for LTVP, you will need a LOC from MOM if you want to work in Singapore. Of course LTVP+ is better with a longer validity but need to be married for a few years before you'll be considered. I'm not too sure myself.. :???:

gold.spot
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 01 Jun 2012

Re: PR for foreigner husband chances

Postby gold.spot » Thu, 18 Jan 2018 2:33 pm

kimls wrote:
gold.spot wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, being on S Pass has less benefits than being on LTVP. Being on EP, even, has lesser benefits than LTVP.


Would you mind sharing the benefits for LTVP in comparison with SP? I'v always thought that being under SP, the employer will cover the pass holder's insurance. and for LTVP, you will need a LOC from MOM if you want to work in Singapore. Of course LTVP+ is better with a longer validity but need to be married for a few years before you'll be considered. I'm not too sure myself.. :???:


On SP or EP, if your husband is let go from his job, he will have 30 days to leave Singapore.

On LTVP, he can continue to remain here without a job. LOC is not difficult to approve, especially is he's already working on SP in Singapore. LTVP LOC also does not count to the SP quota.

On insurance matters, you're right, I don't think LTVP LOC is required to have insurance.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests