Singapore Expats

Singapore PR leaving SG - Tax Clearance

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
reilog1

Singapore PR leaving SG - Tax Clearance

Post by reilog1 » Tue, 16 Jan 2018 6:02 pm

Dear All,

My HR informed that if I am leaving SG for more than 3 months after cessation from my current job, I will have to do the tax clearance

Else, I will need to sign the undertaking letter from IRAS saying that I will not leave Sg permanently.

My concern is, if I go for the tax clearance, will I have a bad reputation in the SG government because I had an intention to leave the country and this will affect when I need to renew my PR later on.

Please advice

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Singapore PR leaving SG - Tax Clearance

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jan 2018 9:23 pm

Depends on how long you are gone.
If you are planning on keeping your PR as a bolt-hold like some do, you will find that ICA is wise to those ruses now and will not think twice about giving you a 12 month REP renewal in order to get your affairs in order before you are bid farewell permanently.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

reilog1

Post by reilog1 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 2:19 pm

but my REP now is valid for 5 years.. Can they change my REP validity to 12 months when I leave the country?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 9:42 pm

reilog1 wrote:but my REP now is valid for 5 years.. Can they change my REP validity to 12 months when I leave the country?
They won't change your REP validity to 12 months when you leave SG. However, when your REP is due for renewal, ICA may renew it for 12 months instead of the usual 5 years if you remain outside SG and/or not gainfully employed in SG (i.e. no CPF contribution, no tax, etc) at the point of renewal.

So when does your REP expire?

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:18 pm

reilog1 wrote: My concern is, if I go for the tax clearance, will I have a bad reputation in the SG government because I had an intention to leave the country and this will affect when I need to renew my PR later on.
Did you get your PR under PTS, or as spouse of Singapore citizen? You may have slightly more slack in case of the latter