Singapore Expats

EP Rejected - Malaysian studying in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nothandsome

EP Rejected - Malaysian studying in Singapore

Post by nothandsome » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 11:25 am

Hi,

I am a Malaysian who has be studying in Singapore for 4 years (PhD in engineering, NTU).

Recently, I got an offer from a semiconductor MNC as a senior engineer with a starting offer of $4500. Since my PhD has not been confirmed yet, the HR made the application using my Master in Engineering (from University of Malaya) as my highest academic qualification.

My first round of EP application was rejected after ~19 days. HR told me this "Don't worry, MOM need more information for your position". Anyone experienced this? I am worry that my pass will not be approved, and don't feel like disturbing HR with more questions, has they have already resubmitted my application last week :(

Another question is, the MOM website says that the appeal takes at least 3 weeks, sometimes longer. Any case which the decision is made slightly earlier?

Really appreciate your experiences/inputs, thank you!

Cheers~

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: EP Rejected - Malaysian studying in Singapore

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 11:54 am

You're not being paid enough money for your level of education.

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 12:00 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You're not being paid enough money for your level of education.
Maybe yes. But my China coursemate who has the same education background and same pay (under the same school and same company) with me got it in a month. So I am quite confused now.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 4:18 pm

Do you have the same parent, siblings, grandparents, home of record, etc., etc., Was their PhD also unconfirmed? Unless all are identical, then YMMV.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 5:25 pm

nothandsome wrote:Hi,

I am a Malaysian who has be studying in Singapore for 4 years (PhD in engineering, NTU).

Recently, I got an offer from a semiconductor MNC as a senior engineer with a starting offer of $4500. Since my PhD has not been confirmed yet, the HR made the application using my Master in Engineering (from University of Malaya) as my highest academic qualification.

My first round of EP application was rejected after ~19 days. HR told me this "Don't worry, MOM need more information for your position". Anyone experienced this? I am worry that my pass will not be approved, and don't feel like disturbing HR with more questions, has they have already resubmitted my application last week :(

Another question is, the MOM website says that the appeal takes at least 3 weeks, sometimes longer. Any case which the decision is made slightly earlier?

Cheers~
If company say don't worry , then don't worry.

Semicon here is almost all foreigner so one more isn't going to make a difference.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 6:58 pm

:cool:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you have the same parent, siblings, grandparents, home of record, etc., etc., Was their PhD also unconfirmed? Unless all are identical, then YMMV.
their PhD is unconfirmed, too

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 6:59 pm

Barnsley wrote:
nothandsome wrote:Hi,

Cheers~
If company say don't worry , then don't worry.

Semicon here is almost all foreigner so one more isn't going to make a difference.

hope so, hope HR wasn't trying to sugar coat the situation haha.

HR said MOM needs more information about my position

cosmos2017

Post by cosmos2017 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 1:53 pm

Hi when did you submit your first and second application?

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 2:52 pm

cosmos2017 wrote:Hi when did you submit your first and second application?
Hello cosmos.

My first application was around 21st Dec, my second application was around 9th Jan, still waiting for the outcomes from second application.

Appreciate your advice too :)

cosmos2017

Post by cosmos2017 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 3:48 pm

My wife submitted EP application in late Dec, MOM requested for some additional docs from employer on 4 Jan and the status is still pending today. Feeling anxious too.

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 3:52 pm

cosmos2017 wrote:My wife submitted EP application in late Dec, MOM requested for some additional docs from employer on 4 Jan and the status is still pending today. Feeling anxious too.
From MOM's website it is mentioned that the appeal case takes at least 3 weeks. Probably that's why it is still pending? Is your wife a new applicant or renewal?

cosmos2017

Post by cosmos2017 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 4:11 pm

It was not a reject and appeal.

Just request for additional docs.

cosmos2017

Post by cosmos2017 » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 4:13 pm

nothandsome wrote:
cosmos2017 wrote:My wife submitted EP application in late Dec, MOM requested for some additional docs from employer on 4 Jan and the status is still pending today. Feeling anxious too.
From MOM's website it is mentioned that the appeal case takes at least 3 weeks. Probably that's why it is still pending? Is your wife a new applicant or renewal?
My wife is changing the employer.

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 4:26 pm

cosmos2017 wrote:It was not a reject and appeal.

I see. For my case, it appeared as "Rejected" on 8th Jan, and became "Pending" on 9th Jan.

When I asked my HR, they also said MOM requested for more information about my position.

Therefore, I am not sure whether my case is registered as "rejected" or "appeal" in such case.

nothandsome

Post by nothandsome » Wed, 17 Jan 2018 4:27 pm

nothandsome wrote:
cosmos2017 wrote:It was not a reject and appeal.

I see. For my case, it appeared as "Rejected" on 8th Jan, and became "Pending" on 9th Jan.

When I asked my HR, they also said MOM requested for more information about my position.

Therefore, I am not sure whether my case is registered as "rejected" or "appeal" in such case.
According to the online EP status check