Singapore Expats

Minor repair fee in TA

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ksameera

Minor repair fee in TA

Post by ksameera » Sat, 13 Jan 2018 12:29 pm

Hello Everyone,

What's the usual market rate for minor repair fee for a 12 month lease of a 1+2 1 room locked HDB property?

My agent says it's 200$ and it seems quite high for me. Great if you could share your experience on this.

Thanks

Search By

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Minor repair fee in TA

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 13 Jan 2018 1:02 pm

We had $150 7 years ago, so not unreasonable. We also had a clause that if we had to fix something more than twice LL had to fix or replace next time... the dryer, for example.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Sun, 14 Jan 2018 10:58 am

The fee has been $150 in both of my leases since moving to Singapore.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 14 Jan 2018 2:45 pm

Try to keep it to $150, and you must take into account the age and state of the appliances and furniture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:54 am

cheeckybummy wrote:Don't know sia, you can check over at XXXXXX website ba. I always jump around forum to find great deals

MODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mods: Wha???!!! :)
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mydnight

Post by mydnight » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 4:16 pm

Hi, jumping in on this thread. It's our (husband and me) first time renting and I'm also a bit confused with the minor repair clause. What happened is about 2 months back, we informed the LL's agent that the toilet bowl is clogged and the washbasin tap is leaking. We discovered this after the so-called one month "warranty" period by the LL, as the issues only became noticeable after that warranty period. So recently the agent informed us that the LL has a go-to contractor who can fix things up at our unit, at the cost of $150 for the tap and $100 for the toilet bowl. Now that I'm reading the TA properly, it says tenant is to bear the cost of repairs up to $150 per item. So it appears we have to pay $250 to repair everything.

My questions are:
1) Is it the norm for minor repairs to be capped at x amount per item repaired?
2) I would think that tap and toilet bowl repairs are categorised into bathroom related repairs. Should the costs be separated like what the agent told me?
3) If I disagree to the costs and choose not to repair it and just bear with it until my tenancy is up, will the LL have the right to deduct the cost of repairs from my security deposit?

We've only rented the unit for 5 months to date, and we've since discovered various minor damages in the unit. We suspect these toilet problems were pre-existing conditions as a plumber who we asked to come take a look said the clogged toilet is probably caused by something foreign being flushed down, and the leaking tap was only discovered when a relative came to visit and used the guest bathroom. I just felt it's unfair that we have to pay for repairs to pre-existing problems. The agent has not been easy to deal with and we know for certain the LL will try their best not to pay for anything at all. For example, the non-functioning kitchen hood. We were told to use a fan and keep the windows open when we cook.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JustSee » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 2:30 pm

mydnight wrote:Hi, jumping in on this thread. It's our (husband and me) first time renting and I'm also a bit confused with the minor repair clause. What happened is about 2 months back, we informed the LL's agent that the toilet bowl is clogged and the washbasin tap is leaking. We discovered this after the so-called one month "warranty" period by the LL, as the issues only became noticeable after that warranty period. So recently the agent informed us that the LL has a go-to contractor who can fix things up at our unit, at the cost of $150 for the tap and $100 for the toilet bowl. Now that I'm reading the TA properly, it says tenant is to bear the cost of repairs up to $150 per item. So it appears we have to pay $250 to repair everything.

My questions are:
1) Is it the norm for minor repairs to be capped at x amount per item repaired?
2) I would think that tap and toilet bowl repairs are categorised into bathroom related repairs. Should the costs be separated like what the agent told me?
3) If I disagree to the costs and choose not to repair it and just bear with it until my tenancy is up, will the LL have the right to deduct the cost of repairs from my security deposit?

We've only rented the unit for 5 months to date, and we've since discovered various minor damages in the unit. We suspect these toilet problems were pre-existing conditions as a plumber who we asked to come take a look said the clogged toilet is probably caused by something foreign being flushed down, and the leaking tap was only discovered when a relative came to visit and used the guest bathroom. I just felt it's unfair that we have to pay for repairs to pre-existing problems. The agent has not been easy to deal with and we know for certain the LL will try their best not to pay for anything at all. For example, the non-functioning kitchen hood. We were told to use a fan and keep the windows open when we cook.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
You had a month to notice the toilet and tap are leaking, and you noticed "just" after that month passed? Quite unlikely.
Other pre-existing damage that you had should have been brought to the attention of the LL/agent when you moved in, and if you took photos when you moved in, it should show there and will be your proof when you move out.

Regarding fixing the items and what you see as unfair - that is your opinion, contract states "per item", faucet and toilet are different items... if the issue is the joint plumbing between them - that would be considered one item, but from reading your response it's 2 different items that you'll have to repair.

Now, if you can fix it yourself, I probably would - applying a silicone seal around where it is leaking, or tightening nuts would cost you much less than that.
Also, look for your own contractor instead of going to LL every time, as you might get it fixed for a much lower price - $250 for fixing small leaks sounds very steep.

mydnight

Post by mydnight » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 9:11 pm

You had a month to notice the toilet and tap are leaking, and you noticed "just" after that month passed? Quite unlikely.
Well JustSee, it's quite likely that we only noticed the leak after the warranty period as it was the spare bathroom which no one uses. As what I've mentioned, it was only noticed after a relative came to stay for a few weeks and it got worse over time.

We did asked a plumber to come take a look and he told us the tap has to be replaced. This is the same as what the LL's contractor said too. I just thought it's ridiculous we have to bear the cost of fixing the toilet problems (not minor leak but changing the entire tap) when we've only rented the place for a few months.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask those few questions so that I'll know how to handle/talk to the agent.

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JustSee » Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:56 am

If the entire tap needs to be replaced, you can argue that you have not used that room and will be looking for the LL to replace it.

There are lots of different LLs here. Luckily for me it was either a shitty LL and a place that doesn't break down, or awesome LLs that tell me no need to pay the small repair fee and just send someone.

And remember, if you decide to use your own handyman, make sure the LL approved the tap! Otherwise you might need to replace it when you move out.
When you are moving out, take pictures of the ENTIRE place (walls, floors, windows, cabinets, faucets, toilets) while walking through with the LL and BOTH agents, any defects take pictures and note it on a piece of paper, and if there is anything to repair, do not sign it till there is an estimate - DO NOT leave this to the LL alone, be involved and ask to send someone to do a quote.

Best of luck!

mydnight

Post by mydnight » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 9:15 am

Thanks for the reminders. Unfortunately our LL left everything to the agent and she will tell us the warranty period is over, so tenant to bear the costs. No negotiations. :?

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JustSee » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:29 am

Well, you can always play hard ball and tell her to get back to the landlord as you want their response documented - this will make sure that LL is aware, though again, it might help and it might not.

Good luck.