Singapore Expats

5500 SGD/month for housing - single young expat - where to live?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
michael625

5500 SGD/month for housing - single young expat - where to live?

Post by michael625 » Thu, 11 Jan 2018 8:22 pm

I'll be relocating from Belgium to Singapore for a few months. My company has allocated 5500 SGD per month on housing costs to look for a short-term Serviced Apartment. This is separate from my living costs, salary, etc. Our office is near the Bugis MRT station. I'd like to live somewhere within walking distance or no more than 15min by public transit, ideally somewhere near bars/cafes and somewhat trendier. Location doesn't have to be high-end by any means, but I would prefer a modern interior.

Unfortunately, the agency my company is using came back with only one suggestion and near Orchard Rd (30min by transit) that is a small 38sqm studio without room for even a couch. This is too small and based on what I see online the area seems too high-end/developed. I think I need to give them more guidance on what I want - the problem is I don't know anything about where I should be living...

Ideas on locations would be much appreciated :)

Search By

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Re: 5500 SGD/month for housing - single young expat - where to live?

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 8:34 am

Welcome to Singapore! My husband is from Belgium too! :)

Do you have more information on how long you will be here and you will be here based on an employment pass or work visa? If you are here on work visa, Service Apartments in Singapore would be pricey. The alternatives is to potentially find an informal shorter term arrangement to flat share.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:00 am

michael625 wrote:I'll be relocating from Belgium to Singapore for a few months. My company has allocated 5500 SGD per month on housing costs to look for a short-term Serviced Apartment. This is separate from my living costs, salary, etc. Our office is near the Bugis MRT station. I'd like to live somewhere within walking distance or no more than 15min by public transit, ideally somewhere near bars/cafes and somewhat trendier. Location doesn't have to be high-end by any means, but I would prefer a modern interior.

Unfortunately, the agency my company is using came back with only one suggestion and near Orchard Rd (30min by transit) that is a small 38sqm studio without room for even a couch. This is too small and based on what I see online the area seems too high-end/developed. I think I need to give them more guidance on what I want - the problem is I don't know anything about where I should be living...

Ideas on locations would be much appreciated :)
That's because they are maxing out your budget to try and rent a place that hasn't been touched by anyone in a while.

They will try and put you in something to their benefit and not yours sadly , its a renters market at the minute so when someone comes along like yourself they will have to try and cash in!!

Have look along Beach Road , there has been tons of new build going on there.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:37 am

Plenty of choice in walking/ cycling distance of Bugis

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:51 am

Look at the top of the page, there is a link to Serviced Apartments. That will help with ideas.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:05 am

The rules seem to have changed for private residential properties. Take a look at this URA webpage:

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/buy-property ... esidential

and here:

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/media-room/n ... un/pr17-44

If you have an employment permit good for at least 3 months and can find a landlord willing to rent a place to you, you have plenty of options other than Serviced Apartments.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:39 pm

Pan Pacific hotel on beach road has Serviced Apartments - cross the street and you are in Kampong Glam, probably a 400-500m walk to Bugis MRT

Disclaimer - I stayed there for a month or so. They definitely aren't the newest/ flashiest, but under your budget & location is great for you