Singapore Expats

Help!! Landlord threatening to deduct our security deposit

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Sweta K

Help!! Landlord threatening to deduct our security deposit

Post by Sweta K » Sun, 07 Jan 2018 1:51 am

Hi All,

Our rental contract tenure is going to end on 31 Jan 2018. Agreement mentions to inform the agent 2 months in advance if we do not want to extend the tenure. As per the contract we informed the agent on 19 December 2017 that we do not wish to extend the tenure contract and will shift on 31 Jan 2018 and the agent can start looking out for new tenant. To this the agent initially agreed and didnt mention anything about breach of contract. Today i.e., 6 Jan 2018 when my husband again confirmed about the shifting to the agent, he threatened us that our security deposit will be deducted as it is a breach of contract.

We understand there was a delay of few days while informing the agent. We didnt realise that even after informing the agent before hand he will still consider it as breach of contract.

I would appreciate if any help or advice please.

Thanks in advance..

Search By

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Help!! Landlord threatening to deduct our security deposit

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 07 Jan 2018 3:56 am

Looks to me like you should have notified the LL no later than Nov 30, 2017 of your intent to vacate, or you would be in breach of your agreement. Why didn't you inform in November and avoid all the hassle?

Then again, it's a pretty shitty LL who would attempt to keep your entire deposit because of a breach of a couple of weeks... and that's pretty typical for Singapore.

I don't have an answer... perhaps others can help you retain at least part of your deposit.

parivinu

Post by parivinu » Thu, 11 Jan 2018 11:28 am

hi Sweta,

this is exactly what happened to us now , we are also in the same state. you can call CEA or extent your one month state and do not pay them rent that will offset your deposit amount

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jan 2018 1:06 pm

CEA wont help you as you are in default of the T & C because you didn't give them due notice as required by the terms of the T & C. Therefore, you are in violation of your contract. Extending your stay and not paying them their due rent (e.g., squatters) is also illegal. Two wrongs do NOT make a right. As to whether or not it is fair is another story, but from a legal point you have no grounds to to stand on. Staying on after the end of your lease without paying rent or getting permission could find you with your door locks changed with all your possessions impounded until they get the rent. But it's your call. You couldn't be bothered to follow the Terms & Conditions of your lease so you will get your just desserts as LLs here are a vindictive lot.

I've just read your other post. It would seem the LL is actually giving you a way out by letting you stay (and giving the proper two months notice). You seem to be determined to violate the terms of your contract one way or the other. They place was dirty/dusty? Why did you take it in that condition? You should have taken the advice of most people in taking pictures of everything in the unit before you moved in in order to defend yourself. From my point of view, you seem like you are the ones who started this fiasco by not following the T & C. Harsh? Yes. But that's the way things are with LLs in Singapore (albeit some are excellent though).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers