Singapore Expats

Doubts for LTVP Spouse of Singaporean

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
daviddc

Doubts for LTVP Spouse of Singaporean

Post by daviddc » Sat, 06 Jan 2018 2:36 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post, though I have read you for a while. It is very cool to find so many helpful threats.

To make it short, I am thinking about applying for a LTVP to reunite with my wife and it would be great to have some doubts clarify for people that has gone through it.
I am Spanish, my wife is Singaporean and we married 2 years ago in Canada.
1-Would be our marriage certificate from Canada be enough, or do we need to legalize the marriage in Singapore before?
2-I didn't find details about the education certificate. I know it needs to be translated. Nothing else? There is no need to get a special certificate for international purposes, or get it translated by appointed translators, right?
3-What I know about the process is, that once we have all the documents my wife can apply online, and that it can take up to 6 weeks, and after that we will get a response and we will have to make an appointment for "completion" at ICA. I want to keep the process as short as possible and I read in the forum (viewtopic.php?t=108810) that you can walk-in ICA for an appointment. Is this still possible? If I follow the regular process, how long it can take in your experience? It would save me a lot of time and I could approach employers more confidently having already LTVP in my hand.

Thank you in advance for your help!

marie_katie

Re: Doubts for LTVP Spouse of Singaporean

Post by marie_katie » Mon, 08 Jan 2018 2:32 pm

daviddc wrote:Hello everyone. This is my first post, though I have read you for a while. It is very cool to find so many helpful threats.

To make it short, I am thinking about applying for a LTVP to reunite with my wife and it would be great to have some doubts clarify for people that has gone through it.
1-Would be our marriage certificate from Canada be enough, or do we need to legalize the marriage in Singapore before?
2-I didn't find details about the education certificate. I know it needs to be translated. Nothing else? There is no need to get a special certificate for international purposes, or get it translated by appointed translators, right?
3-What I know about the process is, that once we have all the documents my wife can apply online, and that it can take up to 6 weeks, and after that we will get a response and we will have to make an appointment for "completion" at ICA. I want to keep the process as short as possible and I read in the forum (viewtopic.php?t=108810) that you can walk-in ICA for an appointment. Is this still possible? If I follow the regular process, how long it can take in your experience? It would save me a lot of time and I could approach employers more confidently having already LTVP in my hand.

I am in the similar situation. I'm singaporean & my husband is a canadian. We got married in Canada last year but we didn't re-register our marriage in Singapore.

Firstly, did you both do the Pre-Marriage LTVP?

1. From what i know, canada's marriage is recognised here too. But if you want to re-register it, just go to ROM website to check how to do it. I think it costs $70+ and you need to bring your canada marriage certificate & some documents down to ROM.

2. Education certifications and any other required documents stated online will only be needed when you go to ICA for your formalities. Some would be required after you submitted the ltvp application online (they will email you) but i didn't get any email for those documents.
Best to get it translated to English and notarized it. If you're in canada, probably can do it at city hall. Gonna pay some $$ to get it done though.

3. You need to be in Singapore before your wife can apply online using her singpass. They will need your DE card number (white card that you get on arrival) to continue the online application. They don't require any documents online, more of like asking how much your wife earns, what education level, how long you get married etc etc.. But do get those documents ready just in case they ask for verification over email or in person.

If you did pre-marriage ltvp, it takes up to 6 weeks. If you got married before doing it (same as my case) then it takes up to 6 months. Mine have been receiving attention for 17 weeks and it seems excessively long as compared to others. It might be due to the fact that we left the country. There's various reasons why and ICA won't disclose that. I emailed them and they said it takes up to 6 months.

You can extend your short-term visa (30 days) online through ICA website up to 89 days if your ltvp isn't approved quickly. Also try looking for a job. Depending on your education & experience, you might be able to score an Employment pass. Unless your wife earns alot of $, don't count on it being approved fast.. Good luck!

SaraAbdul

Post by SaraAbdul » Mon, 08 Jan 2018 2:45 pm

daviddc wrote:Hello everyone. This is my first post, though I have read you for a while. It is very cool to find so many helpful threats.

1-Would be our marriage certificate from Canada be enough, or do we need to legalize the marriage in Singapore before? As long as the marriage is done legally according to the country it is good enough for ICA. On my case, we never apply for any pre-aprrove course or approval, we just get married. FYI we did not get married in Singapore or even in my own country. We did it at some western country (too private to share here).

daviddc

Post by daviddc » Mon, 15 Jan 2018 8:46 pm

Thank you both! It is very helpful to know other's experiences.