Singapore Expats

Acra address and HDB home office scheme??

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
allanyeowjj

Acra address and HDB home office scheme??

Post by allanyeowjj » Tue, 26 Dec 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all

I intend to start my own ecommerce business and am quite confused of the Acra address and hdb home office scheme?? I will register with Acra as a sole proprietor. The link between this 2 is also confusing even if i find the information online so i hope someone here can enlighten me.

Question for Acra
1. If i register my residential address as business address with Acra, does it mean i am only allowed to work at home? Can i bring my laptop to work at co sharing workspaces outside, or library or cafes?
Am i only restricted to work at home if my address registered with Acra is the residential address? Note that i will only be working with my laptop.

Question for HDB office scheme?
1. I am unsure if and how my ecommerce business will apply for the hdb office scheme or small base home office scheme? If i apply for the home office scheme does it mean i can only work at home and not outside? Is this compulsory to apply for my busienss?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Acra address and HDB home office scheme??

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Dec 2017 2:10 am

First of all, this page.

https://www.acra.gov.sg/components/wire ... =1087#1091

The whole idea is that if you are running a business that is not disruptive to your neighbors, for example, you are an accountant preparing financial statements for clients, then you have no issue with a home office scheme.

If you were to have lots and lots of people coming to your flat as part of your business, you'll probably be in violation of the rules.

I can only tell you to check the links on the web page and call for more information.

allanyeowjj

Post by allanyeowjj » Wed, 27 Dec 2017 4:42 am

If i register with Acra using residential address, does it mean i have to get the home office scheme also? What justifies as a home office? As mine is purely ecommerce business, i see no way my home will become an office

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Dec 2017 6:50 am

allanyeowjj wrote:If i register with Acra using residential address, does it mean i have to get the home office scheme also? What justifies as a home office? As mine is purely ecommerce business, i see no way my home will become an office
It doesn't matter where you conduct your actual business. You don't have to conduct business, per se, at your home, if all you need is a registered address. If you have another location in Singapore that you want to use as your registered address, then you don't need to fool with your home address at all.

The whole ACRA residential address scheme has been setup for people who don't have a physical presence anywhere else in Singapore. This enables them to register without needing to setup a serviced office as an "official" registered address.

I can't help you beyond that; my knowledge of the details is limited. Contact HDB at the website links I suggested.

allanyeowjj

Post by allanyeowjj » Wed, 27 Dec 2017 7:41 am

Yes but since i register my own business, as a sole proprietor then my residential address is what i am using to register. Although what i need is a registered address i cannot be taking some other address and use it to register for my business right?

And if i register using residential, do i have to apply for home office scheme as well?