Singapore Expats Forum

Career 2005 job fair - worth going?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

e.

Career 2005 job fair - worth going?

Postby e. » Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:08 pm

Hi there,

I am a communications (traditional and new media), project and event manager with 5 + years of experience in the arts and culture sector as well as in an international pharmaceutical company and with some newspapers and magazines and plan to move to Singapore. Although I have already done quite a bit of research on job opportunities I have not yet started writing applications and/or contacting recruiting agencies.

Now I have heard that the Career 2005 job fair will take place at the beginning of March in Singapore and I am thinking about going there. Yet I am a bit hesitatant as I would have to fly from Europe (Austria) and the whole trip would cost me approx. EUR 1.400 (S$ 3.000, USD 1.800) (which is quite a lot of money for me). Has anyone ever been to any of these job fairs, especially this one? Is it worth going there? Are they also designed for professionals or only for recent graduates? Will it be a problem that I am a foreigner? Do S'porean government bodies also hire foreigners? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure that I invest my money wisely.

I'd be very grateful for any kind of advice.
Best regards,
e.

ps: If anyone wants to contact me aside this board my e-mail is e@strg.at

Bumper

Postby Bumper » Fri, 25 Feb 2005 4:33 am

I'm also interested in the replies to the above post as I'm thinking about travelling over from the UK. Any advice is most welcome.

Thank you.

Freak

Postby Freak » Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:12 pm

I'm not too sure what sort of career opening would be available at this coming career fair but from past experience, it's really not worth going unless you're looking for a government job like military or teaching.

If you're interested in looking for a job in Singapore, http://www.jobsdb.com might be a better place. Some companies do have positions open for foreigners. It might be good to travel to SG first though to find out if you like living here.

expat

Postby expat » Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:33 am

Some additional details are available at the following link

http://careers.asia1.com.sg/newest/news ... 7_001.html

However the question whether it is worth to come all the way from outside to attned the fair only, may depend on one's own choices and perferences. But I do belive it will give you some first-hand opportunities to introduce yourself to potential employers and can even get some breakthrough. You may also be able to meet some head-hunters as well, so you can get some better ideas.

Good luck

expat

expa

Postby expa » Tue, 01 Mar 2005 5:40 pm

here is the very detailed info.

http://www.careerseries.com.sg/index_of.htm#p

hope this helps