Singapore Expats

Stateless person PR renewal

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
roye123

Re: Stateless person PR renewal

Post by roye123 » Tue, 09 Jan 2018 11:43 am

Lattest update.

I manage to get through their immigration hotline, spoke to one of their ‘boss’. She mentioned under the new ruling they do not extend any TPP passport or issue them anymore.

So i checked with them does this render my mum stateless as when she took up this passport back then she gave up her chinese citizenship.

Now i am just waiting for their reply for an official email to state that they do not renew any TPP passport.

I wonder what are the next steps from here base on her PR here. Should she try applying SG citizenship(she has been rejected twice) or should she seek reinstatement of her China Citizenship if SG doesnt goes through?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jan 2018 6:07 pm

She will probably have a much better chance of getting her PRC citizenship reinstated than anything else, truth be known.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Jan 2018 9:50 am

roye123 wrote:Lattest update.

I manage to get through their immigration hotline, spoke to one of their ‘boss’. She mentioned under the new ruling they do not extend any TPP passport or issue them anymore.

So i checked with them does this render my mum stateless as when she took up this passport back then she gave up her chinese citizenship.

Now i am just waiting for their reply for an official email to state that they do not renew any TPP passport.

I wonder what are the next steps from here base on her PR here. Should she try applying SG citizenship(she has been rejected twice) or should she seek reinstatement of her China Citizenship if SG doesnt goes through?
This is nuts. The Tonga government should be dragged over the coals for this, they are going to push a lot of folks into statelessness with this rule.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mingnge

Post by mingnge » Thu, 11 Jan 2018 7:36 pm

Hi sorry for tagging on this thread.

My husband is a PR from Myanmar. He has been stateless but recently received his IPA for Myanmar re-citizenship. He is given a Myanmar CI (valid for 1 month, one way) to go back and process his IC and passport. He was also told to give up his Singapore CI. Today we went to ICA to apply for a re-entry permit for his Myanmar CI.

However, he will not be able to enter Singapore with this CI as it will be surrendered to the Myanmar authorities when he gets his Myanmar passport.
The ICA officer explained to us that he will have to return to Singapore on a SVP. Does that mean without a re-entry permit on his Myanmar passport, he will lose his PR? I am a Singaporean and his PR sponsor but I have not been working for the past 8 years to take care of our children. Will it affect his PR application if we have to apply again?

Appreciate any help and advice.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 3:29 pm

mingnge wrote:Hi sorry for tagging on this thread.

My husband is a PR from Myanmar. He has been stateless but recently received his IPA for Myanmar re-citizenship. He is given a Myanmar CI (valid for 1 month, one way) to go back and process his IC and passport. He was also told to give up his Singapore CI. Today we went to ICA to apply for a re-entry permit for his Myanmar CI.

However, he will not be able to enter Singapore with this CI as it will be surrendered to the Myanmar authorities when he gets his Myanmar passport.
The ICA officer explained to us that he will have to return to Singapore on a SVP. Does that mean without a re-entry permit on his Myanmar passport, he will lose his PR? I am a Singaporean and his PR sponsor but I have not been working for the past 8 years to take care of our children. Will it affect his PR application if we have to apply again?

What's a CI? If you mean a certificate of identity that should not matter. He carry a copy of his REP anyways - when he comes back in on an SVP (if necessary) he can update his REP online to his new Myanamar PP no. I think.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mingnge

Post by mingnge » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:44 pm

PNGMK wrote:
mingnge wrote:Hi sorry for tagging on this thread.

What's a CI? If you mean a certificate of identity that should not matter. He carry a copy of his REP anyways - when he comes back in on an SVP (if necessary) he can update his REP online to his new Myanamar PP no. I think.
Thanks for your help. We have another problem. I understand the length of the REP is given based on the validity of his CI, which is 1 month. ICA told us the REP renewal will take 4 weeks for his case, by which time his Myanmar CI would have almost expired. Even if it doesn't and he manages to enter Myanmar, his REP would have also expired while he is outside Singapore. Will he be able to pay a fine and apply for a new REP upon his return to Singapore? He has been living and working in Singapore for 14 years.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:13 pm

Normally, if an REP expires while out of the country, a fine would be payable and it would be then reinstated. This obviously isn't a normal situation, but I reckon the same would probably the case. It's different if you try to leave with an expired REP than it is if you happen to get caught up out of the country and it expires before you are able to return.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers