Singapore Expats

Can I renounce my PR status?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Matzx

Can I renounce my PR status?

Post by Matzx » Sun, 17 Dec 2017 6:44 pm

I'm about to be 17 and I plan to study overseas just so I could get this job that I really want because it seems that it would be close to impossible to get if I actully studied in singapore and I'm a second generation PR who is NS-Liable and I wanted to know if I could renounce my PR status that is linked to my parents, while my parents and siblings also stays as PRs.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Can I renounce my PR status?

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 17 Dec 2017 7:24 pm

Pretty sure it is possible. However, there is something called ‘consequences’ you should look up, which may affect the rest of your life with your PR family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Can I renounce my PR status?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Dec 2017 10:33 pm

I think you will find one of two things happening. Either your renunciation will not be accepted. Or all hell will pay with your family as they will probably not be able to get Reentry permits renewed and they will be force out of the country (unless the breadwinner can somehow manage to get an EP (there was one case a couple of days ago on this forum, where the guy who renounced, was rejected, with good experience, because he renounced his Citizenship (not PR) and was rejected on his PR application and making a good 18K/mo in the financial sector. It's their ball, their court, and their rules, run foul of the rules and they will make somebody pay. It this case your entire family. Think carefully - it's not just about you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers