PR via PTS vs Spousal Route

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 06 Aug 2017 6:08 pm

PR via PTS vs Spousal Route

Post by Gentleman7 » Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:59 pm

Dear sirs and madams,
I submitted my application for PR as a skilled worker despite being married to an SC, for the obvious reason that neither my wife nor I want me to be away for two years while she raises our infant (s). I also finally managed to get the job I wanted and have been there for a while now. As far at I can tell I'm a valued employee there. (apply under the skills PTS scheme and you are exempt)
Today I received a letter asking whether I would rather apply using the family path, and if not, state why not in writing, or fill in the form for the family path.

I wonder whether this is a lifeline implying I'd be rejected otherwise, or a not so subtle way of asking why I am avoiding NS.

I'm thinking of showing up with both options in hand and asking the person who sees me what my options really are. I'm in my thirties. Is there a risk of being called up for Service?

Any advice much appreciated.


User avatar
Posts: 8286
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR via PTS vs Spousal Route

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 14 Dec 2017 8:04 am

Apply under family path lah. Colloquially the understanding I have is that when you retire you can continue to renew REP. Under PTS once you stop work you're done.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Posts: 38862
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR via PTS vs Spousal Route

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Dec 2017 3:34 pm

I have had that told to me directly by an officer at ICA while being unemployed and over 55 and my REP expired for 15 months because I didn't have a job. I was then told because I received my PR via Family Ties (even though I had an EP at the time) I wasn't required to 'have gainful employment'. PTS means you are as long as you are valuable. If you don't apply for FT PR they may look askance at it as it doesn't make any sense not to as the card are all stacked pro family here.

I was also told basically exactly that. If you apply via FT your EP is considered additional backup, but if you apply as PTS then only the PTS will be used regardless of your spouse's status here. So, yeah, it was probably a way to subtly let you know you better file using FT as you are probably skating on thin ice otherwise. If you tell them you are doing it to avoid NS you will die right there on the spot even though if you are a family man and over say 28 years old, you will have to register but you will not be called up for NS duties even though you are using Family ties. It's the second generation that get screwed by NS.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests