Singapore Expats

PR chance for Korean-American

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 5:24 pm

Hi All,

After reading many of the posts, I was curious to see if nationality or ethnicity matters more for PR applications. I applied along with my wife and child about 8 months ago - still pending.

I have US citizenship but am ethnically Korean, my wife is a S. Korean national. I'm on an EP and my wife and kid (in local school) are both DP. We've been here for more than 7 years and we're both college graduates (I have a masters and my wife has a BA). Annual salary > 100K.

As we don't fall into the big 4, are our chances fairly low? I'm optimistic that since we weren't rejected right away and that I've paid many years of taxes that I'll have a decent chance

Thanks

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: PR chance for Korean-American

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 7:31 pm

How did you get your US citizenship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 7:49 pm

3rd generation. All of my family has been in the U.S. for years

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 7:53 pm

Hanmi1974 wrote:3rd generation. All of my family has been in the U.S. for years
This will be a minus for you because PR is given to people who is more likely a future SG citizen. Do you envisage yourself eventually giving up your three generation root in US and become a SC? And your race is not one of the four big races here...

That’s of course my view only. I could be wrong.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 8:11 pm

Is your child a boy or girl? If a boy, it could possibly remotely help if 'he' is on the application as well. How old is the boy?

Not a pertinent question but it could be in a remote sort of way. You indicate you wife is a Korean National. If you married in the US before coming to Singapore, what was her status in the US? Or did you marry while here in Singapore? Where was the child born? Korean or American or dual citizenship?
Sorry for being 'nosey' but we are, or at least I am, trying to see if there is any reason why they may think it's a waste of their "unofficial quota". Or if there is anything there that could be compelling for acceptance.

Additionally, what are your view on mandatory military service (NS)? After all, if you are 3rd Generation American citizen you already know that the Draft was mothballed in 1975 and can only be resurrected in a declaration of War. Singapore has mandatory NS for all Male Citizens or PRs. If you are against military service would you be able to accept that it would definitely be on the cards if your child is a male. ICA would also be looking at that as you are an American Citizen and the vast majority of Americans are against military service today, or at least from my view. (I'm a AmVet from 65~68).
(I'm an old coot today!) ;-)

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 8:17 pm

My daughter is in primary and has dual citizenship but uses her U.S. passport here and on the pr application. She was born in Korea. I was in Korea for work which is where I met and married my wife. I was transferred here to the SG office. Since then I left and now work for a SG company

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 8:28 pm

Okay, I've exhausted my quest for a good reason for rejection, but I don't see any compelling reason for acceptance. The biggest thing I do see it the fact that you originally were seconded to Singapore but later transferred here. With a 7 year track record and a (pardon the expression) potential baby oven in two decades or so, the only detrimental thing I can see is whether assimilation is going to be easy and the fact that you have already been here 7 years pretty much answers that. So, with that, and the fact that you have been waiting for 8 months already, keep hoping that they "DO" have a quota and they are holding off until January and a new year to push the accept button. Just hang there.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Wed, 06 Dec 2017 9:10 am

Hi SMS

Thanks for your comments. I wish Singapore had a points system like Oz and while not perfect at least it allows you to glimpse behind the curtain and see how strong your application is.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 06 Dec 2017 5:36 pm

Hanmi1974 wrote:Hi SMS

Thanks for your comments. I wish Singapore had a points system like Oz and while not perfect at least it allows you to glimpse behind the curtain and see how strong your application is.
The Government doesn't want every application to be the same with only the name changed as there is no fixed criteria.

Thus it stays opaque to give them flexibility on rejecting/accepting whomever they wish to :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Dec 2017 6:01 pm

It's also how the control the demographics here. It's not left up to chance as to why a country in which the majority race manages to maintain their stranglehold on 78% of the population demographic when they have the lowest TFR of all the races here over the past 50 years (and the combined the TFR is only 1.13) currently the lowest in the world and has been in the bottom three ever since I've been here (34 years).

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 7:26 am

There seems to be a whole lot of negativity here. I would say absolutely go for it. You have a decent shot.

As an Asian American myself (2nd generation) married to an East Asian wife (still holds her non US passport) we were approved after 3 years of living here.

We do have a son and want him to do NS.

Both top University grads (Masters) from marquee schools in US/Asia, I assume in high-demand industries (tech). We waited 6 months and our app was approved.

Anecdotal evidence- our Korean American (2nd gen) friend and his wife (also East Asian but with US citizenship) with no sons (only daughter’s) received their PR in about 1 year just a few months before us last year.

Don’t count your American status as a negative. Highlight your affinity to the Asia region, and if you have truly adjusted and sincere in your intent to be here permanently, haven’t broken any laws, have high earnings, and work in growth industries, you have a good shot. Definitely apply.

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Tue, 20 Feb 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks. I don't think the other respondents were being that pessimistic. The number of PRs for Americans does seem quite low. However, I have already applied some time ago - still pending after 10 months - so I do hope to have some good information soon.

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Mon, 12 Mar 2018 3:30 pm

Just an update - after 11 months, the online system notified me that we've been rejected. I'll see what the letter says when I receive it. Is there any point re-applying right away or should I wait until there's been an improvement in terms of salary or title, etc...

smartyjones18

Post by smartyjones18 » Mon, 12 Mar 2018 3:43 pm

Hanmi1974 wrote:Just an update - after 11 months, the online system notified me that we've been rejected. I'll see what the letter says when I receive it. Is there any point re-applying right away or should I wait until there's been an improvement in terms of salary or title, etc...
My first attempt was rejected after 13 months. I waited for 6 more months and got rejected again after about 8 months. Third time was approved in exactly 5 months. Cheers.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 9:18 am

Hanmi1974 wrote:Just an update - after 11 months, the online system notified me that we've been rejected. I'll see what the letter says when I receive it. Is there any point re-applying right away or should I wait until there's been an improvement in terms of salary or title, etc...
Reapply immediately?

You realise you are now on record and the applications will be compared.

If there were significant changes outside of Job, perhaps you have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more