Singapore Expats

6 month work visa to S visa for new college grad?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
JoeCoolest

6 month work visa to S visa for new college grad?

Post by JoeCoolest » Mon, 04 Dec 2017 4:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a new college grad (graduated from top 150 school according to shanghai index, for whatever that is worth) who would like to live and work in Singapore. I'm an English major who currently works at JP Morgan stock plan services explaining peoples' equity compensation plans to them, though soon I'll probably work at AXA selling life insurance.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to come on a 6 month holiday work visa and try to turn it into something permanent (hopefully sponsorship for an S visa).

As for the job, I don't really care what it is as long as it gives me the PPP of my current 40k a year salary, though of course I'd prefer marketing/PR jobs.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: 6 month work visa to S visa for new college grad?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 12:26 am

I hate to rain on your parade, or piss in your punch bowl, but your chances of living and working in Singapore are somewhere between zero and none, unless you can hook up with a company that will transfer you to Singapore.

Singapore has lots of college grads who don't have much choice but to live and work in Singapore, and the government wants to make sure they have jobs. They also don't want to see their graduates leave Singapore to go to work elsewhere. Were a company to be interested in you for some strange reason, they would have a very difficult time getting any kind of a work permit for you.

You have an English degree... strike two... Singapore thinks that science related degrees have more value... your application for an employment pass wouldn't check enough boxes.

And finally, the types of jobs that you have done, or are considering doing, don't require any sort of specialized expertise. There is no reason to hire a foreigner to do these jobs... in fact, there is plenty of reason not to hire a foreigner (what do you know about the Singapore mindset when it comes to insurance or investments?).

If you want to get to Singapore, hookup with a multi-national that has an office in Singapore (or a competitor that has an office in Singapore) and plan your career to get transferred.

JoeCoolest

Re: 6 month work visa to S visa for new college grad?

Post by JoeCoolest » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 2:59 am

I suspected as such, just wanted to get some verification.