Singapore Expats

Choosing Cellular Service Provider

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
prateekcool007

Choosing Cellular Service Provider

Post by prateekcool007 » Mon, 04 Dec 2017 3:20 pm

Hi Everyone

Since this is my first time in SG (& am hoping to stay for 15+ months at least).
Can you advice on what mobile service should I go for? I currently own a 4G compatible phone (OnePlus 2) but would like to upgrade to newer one if its useful/better to use there in SG.

I have seen SingTel & StarHub websites for offers (SIM + Phone - with 2 year contract). Prices do differ on both quite significantly and I am unable to find any trick/catch if going with Contract with phone against SIM only plans?

Can you advise what would be better (I am an average mobile user i.e. casual FB/Gmail checking not more than 2 GB per month usage)?
Please advice on SingTel vs StarHub for mobile services and for TV services (would prefer Hindi Channels, English + Hindi Movies & Sports).

prateekcool007

Re: Choosing Cellular Service Provider

Post by prateekcool007 » Wed, 06 Dec 2017 2:09 am

prateekcool007 wrote:Hi Everyone

Since this is my first time in SG (& am hoping to stay for 15+ months at least).
Can you advice on what mobile service should I go for? I currently own a 4G compatible phone (OnePlus 2) but would like to upgrade to newer one if its useful/better to use there in SG.

I have seen SingTel & StarHub websites for offers (SIM + Phone - with 2 year contract). Prices do differ on both quite significantly and I am unable to find any trick/catch if going with Contract with phone against SIM only plans?

Can you advise what would be better (I am an average mobile user i.e. casual FB/Gmail checking not more than 2 GB per month usage)?
Please advice on SingTel vs StarHub for mobile services and for TV services (would prefer Hindi Channels, English + Hindi Movies & Sports).
Is there no favorite Mobile Service Provider? #-o :roll: ](*,)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Dec 2017 5:47 pm

they all suck! :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 19 Dec 2017 5:53 pm

just go prepaid. it makes it easier (and cheaper) to maintain if you leave singapore in future and need the phone number for OTP (banking, singpass, etc).

i'm using m1 (both prepaid and post-paid), but starhub has a good roaming package on their prepaid service, so that's what i recommend.

if one company's coverage doesn't work well in your area, dump it by porting to another telco.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

BaptisteB

Post by BaptisteB » Tue, 05 Jun 2018 7:09 pm

I recommend M1 too. I know a lot of people using their services and they are satisfied so.. M1 :)

xl5899

Post by xl5899 » Sun, 28 Jul 2019 10:17 pm

is MNP (mobile number portability) available in sinagpore ?

rrainmaker

Post by rrainmaker » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 2:58 pm

Full Mobile Number Portability is an enhanced mobile number portability solution that will allow you to retain full use of your existing phone number, even when you switch service providers. As such, you will not have to go through the hassle of updating all your contacts on a new number from your new service provider.

Prepaid and postpaid mobile subscribers can make use of this solution to retain their original phone numbers. However, the service is only applicable for prepaid to prepaid and postpaid to postpaid mobile subscribers only.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:05 pm

rrainmaker wrote:
Tue, 30 Jul 2019 2:58 pm
Full Mobile Number Portability is an enhanced mobile number portability solution that will allow you to retain full use of your existing phone number, even when you switch service providers. As such, you will not have to go through the hassle of updating all your contacts on a new number from your new service provider.

Prepaid and postpaid mobile subscribers can make use of this solution to retain their original phone numbers. However, the service is only applicable for prepaid to prepaid and postpaid to postpaid mobile subscribers only.
You could have simply said, "Yes", number portability is available in Singapore. And has been for a long time.

rrainmaker

Post by rrainmaker » Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:33 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:05 pm
rrainmaker wrote:

You could have simply said, "Yes", number portability is available in Singapore. And has been for a long time.
Ha, thank you Strong Eagle. Just wanted him to know it is not coming from me, as in not an opinion.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Post by Wong_Jnr » Wed, 31 Jul 2019 3:49 pm

rrainmaker wrote:
You can port your mobile from prepaid to postpaid.
Both my wife and I have done exactly this

rrainmaker

Post by rrainmaker » Wed, 31 Jul 2019 4:32 pm

Wong_Jnr wrote:
Wed, 31 Jul 2019 3:49 pm
rrainmaker wrote:
Yes I heard about this, may I ask if it is same telco or it works for cross telco?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 31 Jul 2019 9:29 pm

rrainmaker wrote:
Wed, 31 Jul 2019 4:32 pm
Wong_Jnr wrote:
Wed, 31 Jul 2019 3:49 pm
rrainmaker wrote:
Yes I heard about this, may I ask if it is same telco or it works for cross telco?
It should be across the board for all mobile numbers. The telcos fought any kind of number portability for years because they felt that they would lose their grip on their customers. And, they lost the advertising revenue associated with the number when someone moved on. Then they opposed prepaid/postpaid changes, much for the same reason.

Switching a number on the technical side is easy... add a new phone EMEI and number into the database, just like adding a new phone. Delete same out of old database.

What is tougher is dealing with all the promos that the customer signed up for. Those have to be cancelled. Billings have to be cancelled, or in the case of prepaid, closing the SIM tracking for usage.