Singapore Expats

Best place to stay for job hunting?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
tempodev

Best place to stay for job hunting?

Post by tempodev » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 1:47 am

I’m planning to be in Singapore for a few months while looking for work (tech/software).

Should I forsee any issue in getting work authorization or especially receiving relevant letters if my address were a hotel? Could that pose any problems?

I wonder also if it is the smartest / most frugal method. Tentatively I’m thinking of booking a cheap hotel. Should I be looking for a room to rent instead? Can I rent a room on a visiting visa?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Best place to stay for job hunting?

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 2:44 am

How are you going to be in Singapore for a "few months". The longest social visit visa granted is 90 days.

tempodev

Post by tempodev » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 3:48 am

Perhaps I have not thought the plan through enough. Reading some things on the web was under the impression that one can apply for an extension after 30 days visit but it is not guaranteed. I assumed that 90 days might be long enough to get hired, given my field. But honestly I don't know how realistic that is (?) or even 30, if that is the real rule. I definitely want to obey the law.

I was considering the idea based on things I have read about the possibility of finding work on visiter visas. Thinking perhaps I could contact recruiters a few weeks in advance to set up interviews, and get an offer. (I can usually find a job within a month in the States).

But maybe not a realistic plan. What do you think? Not feasible?

— (edit) yeah this seems like a pretty unreasonable plan and not how most work is found in SG. Not impossible but not a great plan. My apologies if it contributes to an inaccurate view of how things work.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 9:37 am

People have done this. Make sure you have a strong linked in profile with the location set as Singapore and a Singapore SIM card (phone number) then spend some time travelling the region. You can't do border runs to JB or Batam now but you can certainly spend 6 months to a year travelling between a number of countries that have longer visas with stop overs back to Singapore to reside in a backpackers for interviews. Look for cheaper off the beat towns. I have an Aussie friend who is in business out here and needs to be in and out of Singapore regularly for extended periods and he uses towns like Hattyai (just across the MY/TH border), Perth and the PI as a general circle route through Singapore.

The general view on this board is anti visa runs but it's possible. Just be prepared for a U Turn.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 6:57 pm

Four years ago I came to Singapore and looked for work. I spent 2 months popping in and out of Singapore travelling the region while interviewing and went home after the 2nd interview. The last one was conducted over the phone with offer made. I didn't have any issues with immigration though the last 2 trips back into Singapore, they started to ask what my business was (I told them job interviews). I suspect it may not have been much longer before I started getting asked more detailed questions. I was usually out of Singapore for 3-7 days at a time.

I used a youth hostel address, but only put the address not the hostel name and a Singapore phone number. Employers will bin your CV if your address is outside Singapore, but even if you don't live at it (I didn't always stay at the hostel) it shouldn't be an issue. They communicate via email and telephone.

My offer came via E-mail but at that point the employer was aware of my situation so wasn't an issue. They care(d) more about my being contactable in Singapore for in-person interviews rather then the particulars of my living situation.

Be aware that unlike most countries I've been in, Singapore companies will require copies of your pay stubs in order to confirm your current / last salary is as reported. If you miss-report it, you'll be in a world of trouble with them and will likely lose your offer.