Singapore Expats

Advice about visa for my child

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Natisu

Advice about visa for my child

Post by Natisu » Sat, 25 Nov 2017 4:55 am

Hi all,
I got a potential job possibility in Singapore and would then be on an employment pass or skilled pass.
However I will earn less than 4K and thus can’t apply for a dependent pass for my 3,5 years old child as I need to earn 5 k to apply for a dependent pass.
I would sign her up for kindergarten - can she then get a student pass or Is she too young for that?
Or is there any other visa or way to bring my child along.
It can’t be the case that a mother can’t bring her child...my partner earns also less and will in any case come much later.
Really need advice how to bring my child with me. I can of course proof That I can financially support both of us.

Thanks
Hope to get some advice. I looked already at the immigration website but can’t find the answer there.
Cheers
Nat

luckycricket

Re: Advice about visa for my child

Post by luckycricket » Sat, 25 Nov 2017 10:38 pm

Natisu wrote:Hi all,
I got a potential job possibility in Singapore and would then be on an employment pass or skilled pass.
However I will earn less than 4K and thus can’t apply for a dependent pass for my 3,5 years old child as I need to earn 5 k to apply for a dependent pass.
I would sign her up for kindergarten - can she then get a student pass or Is she too young for that?
Or is there any other visa or way to bring my child along.
It can’t be the case that a mother can’t bring her child...my partner earns also less and will in any case come much later.
Really need advice how to bring my child with me. I can of course proof That I can financially support both of us.

Thanks
Hope to get some advice. I looked already at the immigration website but can’t find the answer there.
Cheers
Nat
The only way for you to find a job that pays you at least 6K per month (dependent pass limit from 1st Jan 2018 will be 6K).

BTW check this: viewtopic.php?t=118060 where mother is not able to bring her child even after working in Singapore for years.

Natisu

Post by Natisu » Sun, 26 Nov 2017 5:10 am

That will be impossible to earn 6K as I am a nurse.
How about applying for a student pass for my child to go to kindergarten when she is 4 years old ?
Would that be possible?

Any advice greatly appreciated

luckycricket

Post by luckycricket » Sun, 26 Nov 2017 7:29 am

You can try ... You can find some info on this here viewtopic.php?t=111994

Natisu

Post by Natisu » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 6:53 am

Thanks a lot for your answer and the links ...
Have to research more if it would work with bringing my child on a student pass to Singapore

angelina009

Post by angelina009 » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 11:16 pm

Hi, I have your tried for Student pass? My case is about similar to you ,our salary not eligible for DP , hence we were trying to apply Student pass.
1st tried in this year Sept , a private child care “ my first Skool “ , rejected in 2 wk , I submitted appeal with supporting letter from my boss , rejected too.
2nd try on end Oct this year , another private Kindergarden, rejected around 2 weeks , didn’t appeal .

Hope you can share to me on your application outcome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natisu

Post by Natisu » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 6:28 am

Hi,
Sorry to hear your applications got rejected. Did they tell you why it got rejected?
I didn’t apply yet for a kindergarten and student pass for my child as I first wanted to hear other people’s experiences if they got a student pass for their child.
Don’t understand why your application got rejected ...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 8:40 am

The reason the SP are rejected in these cases is that this is an attempt to go around the DP salary limits.

Singapore has been clear that the collateral affects of extra pop'n of DP's is not desirable - the PAP almost lost the GE last time because of it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

luckycricket

Post by luckycricket » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 9:01 am

angelina009 wrote:Hi, I have your tried for Student pass? My case is about similar to you ,our salary not eligible for DP , hence we were trying to apply Student pass.
1st tried in this year Sept , a private child care “ my first Skool “ , rejected in 2 wk , I submitted appeal with supporting letter from my boss , rejected too.
2nd try on end Oct this year , another private Kindergarden, rejected around 2 weeks , didn’t appeal .

If I am not wrong then I think you are applying the student pass for your kid who is not even 2 years old (you mentioned in your previous post). It could be a reason behind the rejection.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:53 am

No, the reason for the rejection is simply the fact that if they don't qualify for the DP for the child then obviously ICA doesn't think that they can support the child in school as well. All it takes is a little (very little actually) common sense to see through your ruse of trying to pull the wool over the eyes of ICA. They've seen it all. If they wanted your dependent here they would make the income level lower instead of increasing it. If you came here thinking you could trick ICA, the best thing you can do is pack your bags. I know it sucks, but it's their ball, their playing field and their rules. That just the way it is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

angelina009

Post by angelina009 » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, the reason for the rejection is simply the fact that if they don't qualify for the DP for the child then obviously ICA doesn't think that they can support the child in school as well. All it takes is a little (very little actually) common sense to see through your ruse of trying to pull the wool over the eyes of ICA. They've seen it all. If they wanted your dependent here they would make the income level lower instead of increasing it. If you came here thinking you could trick ICA, the best thing you can do is pack your bags. I know it sucks, but it's their ball, their playing field and their rules. That just the way it is.
However not eligible for DB actually doesn’t mean you can’t support your kid . DP asked for 5000 or 6000$ ( next year)/ mth income of one person , pure salary , no bonus no allowance, that’s quite difficult for young couple . In fact , I have singaporean Friend working 10+ yr now pure salary is 4500$ , more in on bonus.

How about both working , combined salary 8000$ ?
Do you really need 5000$ a mth salary then only can support your kid ?
If so I think no one can effort to have a kid !

I noticed that you always look at people with suspect eye , think people want to trick Ica , that I can’t agree with !
We are just trying available different options, there’s no rule saying you can’t give a try .
Please a little more objective!

angelina009

Post by angelina009 » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:09 pm

luckycricket wrote:
angelina009 wrote:Hi, I have your tried for Student pass? My case is about similar to you ,our salary not eligible for DP , hence we were trying to apply Student pass.

If I am not wrong then I think you are applying the student pass for your kid who is not even 2 years old (you mentioned in your previous post). It could be a reason behind the rejection.
I think that might be the reason, he’s not 2 yrs yet, I will wait for a few more mth after he’s 2 and try again.
Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:32 pm

angelina009 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:....
However not eligible for DB actually doesn’t mean you can’t support your kid . DP asked for 5000 or 6000$ ( next year)/ mth income of one person , pure salary , no bonus no allowance, that’s quite difficult for young couple . In fact , I have singaporean Friend working 10+ yr now pure salary is 4500$ , more in on bonus.

I noticed that you always look at people with suspect eye , think people want to trick Ica , that I can’t agree with !
We are just trying available different options, there’s no rule saying you can’t give a try .
Please try to use a little common sense. We are not here to be objective, we are giving out information and collective opinions gathered over lots of time and input be our readers. ICA puts those rules there for a reason. If one half of the couple loses their job (in this economy very easy to happen - happened to 22K here last year) then there are three people on one mediocre income. ICA only uses basic income as anything else is likely to disappear if the jobs or economy tanks, commissions are likely to disappear. Unlike a resident who have subsidies for housing and CPF to help pay for it, foreigners have to pay exorbitant rents (due to greedy LLs) thereby taking a big chunk of a single earners salary off the top. We're not telling them not to try, but we are telling them if we think, based on anecdotal evidence collected here, that chances of success are good or bad.

I look at all posts with a suspect eye because after 14 years on this board I've seen just about everything. We are not here to blow smoke up someones arse. You come here asking questions, we try to give you honest and the most accurate information that we have access to, trends that we see, and generally straightforward answers. We find we are right probably 90% of the time. Most want to hear the truth, other tend to want confirmation of what they want to believe, like yourself for instance, and get all uppity when they don't hear the confirmation that they want to hear.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

angelina009

Post by angelina009 » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 3:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
angelina009 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:....

Please try to use a little common sense. We are not here to be objective, we are giving out information and collective opinions gathered over lots of time and input be our readers. ICA puts those rules there for a reason. If one half of the couple loses their job (in this economy very easy to happen - happened to 22K here last year) then there are three people on one mediocre income. ICA only uses basic income as anything else is likely to disappear if the jobs or economy tanks, commissions are likely to disappear. Unlike a resident who have subsidies for housing and CPF to help pay for it, foreigners have to pay exorbitant rents (due to greedy LLs) thereby taking a big chunk of a single earners salary off the top. We're not telling them not to try, but we are telling them if we think, based on anecdotal evidence collected here, that chances of success are good or bad.

I look at all posts with a suspect eye because after 14 years on this board I've seen just about everything. We are not here to blow smoke up someones arse. You come here asking questions, we try to give you honest and the most accurate information that we have access to, trends that we see, and generally straightforward answers. We find we are right probably 90% of the time. Most want to hear the truth, other tend to want confirmation of what they want to believe, like yourself for instance, and get all uppity when they don't hear the confirmation that they want to hear.
Ica may have their reason, but please for yourself, don’t keep thinking people are trying to trick ICA. I have no intention to trick ICA at all.
Out there a lot options, no harm trying.
Your 90% is still not 100% .

angelina009

Post by angelina009 » Tue, 28 Nov 2017 3:09 pm

And more to add on , I will pay school fee for student pass , not FOC , what’s the point to spend money and do tricking act ?