Singapore Expats

Flights home included?...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mrs_Rich

Flights home included?...

Post by Mrs_Rich » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:29 am

Hi
I’m interested to find out if it’s the norm to have flights Home once a year included in relocation packages? I think my husband’s company should pay for return flights every year back to the uk....
Cheers, Kelly

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Flights home included?...

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:39 am

Mrs_Rich wrote:Hi
I’m interested to find out if it’s the norm to have flights Home once a year included in relocation packages? I think my husband’s company should pay for return flights every year back to the uk....
Cheers, Kelly
What you end up with is entirely dependent upon what you are able to negotiate. At one time, it might have been a "norm"... my sense is that the norm these days is not so generous.

From a Singapore tax perspective it's all taxable anyway... more salary/paid flight home... same difference.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 2:44 pm

Mrs_Rich wrote:Hi
Cheers, Kelly
Admittedly I am a bottom feeder , but I don't know anyone who gets this anymore.

As already said , its taxable so folks now just negotiate for more cash to spend as they see fit.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 4:30 pm

I know of a few cases but in less desirable locations than Sg. I would assume the companies had to offer better packages to get the right candidates.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 7:57 pm

The days of being offered six weeks leave and pay to return to old blighty are long gone mostly.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 02 Dec 2017 12:06 am

I think my company should be paying for my housing allowance, school fees for my kids, company car, and flights back to the UK. Guess what I got? Jack S**t from that list.

Hope your husband is a better negotiator, I could only get a 40% pay rise...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

dmitryberlin

Post by dmitryberlin » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 1:39 pm

I negotiated a once per year flight home for two. The flight is booked by my head office in Europe rather than me being reimbursed for the purchase myself, that way it’s not taxable.

But based on the research I did prior to sorting this out, it seems like these types of perks are dying off as we globalise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 2:02 pm

dmitryberlin wrote:I negotiated a once per year flight home for two. The flight is booked by my head office in Europe rather than me being reimbursed for the purchase myself, that way it’s not taxable.

But based on the research I did prior to sorting this out, it seems like these types of perks are dying off as we globalise.

That plane flight is taxable to you in Singapore... it is in kind compensation that has a dollar value associated with it. The flight is part of your Singapore compensation package, and Singapore, like most other countries, doesn't care where the money is paid into, nor who pays it... it is still taxable to you.

Example: You can be working for Dell Singapore but paid out of Dell, USA, paid into an account you keep in Australia... your income is taxable in Singapore. A flight given to you by Dell USA as part of your compensation package in Singapore would also be taxable.

dmitryberlin

Post by dmitryberlin » Tue, 05 Dec 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks, good to know. In any case I think that depending on the rough costs of your home travel, it may be worth it vs. cash.