Singapore Expats

So damn confusing is the visa extension rules !! need some help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
senya

So damn confusing is the visa extension rules !! need some help

Post by senya » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:03 pm

sorry guys, i couldn't get any clarity, i called up ICA and they confused me more.

I have 9-week multi entry is what has been granted. Each stay is 30 days.

Now pls correct me ....

1. Essentially one can use this VISA legally a MAX MAX of (9 weeks + 30 days + 30 days extn) .i.e. Assuming I enter singapore DAY1 do multiple entries in/out of singapore, enter on the last day of 9th week and get 30 day stay. And if extension is approved in this entry, one can get 30 day stay more. Legally is this what it means or any catch or limitations ?!!

2.Multi-entry visa given is as straight as - applicable during the validity period per stay stay 30 days - or do we have any untold conditions like
- max number of exits
- 30 days stay may not be applicable for all subsequent entries. it may be reduced.
- cannot return immediately after exit before x days
- any other may or may not provide reentry depending on officer etc.

3. ICA mandates all multiple entries has to be not less than 5-day exit period only for people under extensions ??!! when I have legally valid multiple reentry permit of 9 weeks, why I should stay for 5 days outside to come back in? assume not

4. At the end of my first 30 day stay I do a trip to malaysia and reenter within the visa validity period and get a 30 day reentry stay. Now is this considered as fresh entry & can I apply for VISA extension (still within the 9 week period) and get another 30 days stay?!!

thanks in advance. Just want to plan my vacation nearby based on what is legally allowed. I have no intention beyond 30+30 days. But
- during the extension period I am not allowed to do any short trips < 5days.
- if I do any short trips before extension, then will I be eligible for 30 days extension ?
Last edited by senya on Tue, 21 Nov 2017 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: So damn confusing is the visa extension rules !! need some help

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 2:56 pm

senya wrote:sorry guys, i couldn't get any clarity, i called up ICA and they confused me more. wonder if the ambiguous stance on not sharing data is intentional.

9-week multi entry is what has been granted. Each stay is 30 days.

Now pls correct me ....

1. Essentially one can use this VISA legally a MAX MAX of (9 weeks + 30 days + 30 days extn) .i.e. Assuming I enter singapore DAY1 do multiple entries in/out of singapore, enter on the last day of 9th week and get 30 day stay. And if extension is approved in this entry, one can get 30 day stay more. Legally is this what it means or any catch or limitations ?!!

2. ICA mandates all multiple entries has to be not less than 5-day exit period only for people under extensions ??!! when I have legally valid multiple reentry permit of 9 weeks, why I should stay for 5 days outside to come back in? assume not

3. At the end of my first 30 day stay I do a trip to malaysia and reenter within the visa validity period and get a 30 day reentry stay. Now is this considered as fresh entry & can I apply for VISA extension (still within the 9 week period) and get another 30 days stay?!!
If you are trying to do visa runs, you are going to be in deep problem. All you can get is 30 days once. Extension, etc is not guaranteed. So, dont have high hopes

senya

Post by senya » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 3:09 pm

I have no intention beyond 30+30 days. But
- during the extension period I am not allowed to do any short trips < 5days.
- if I do any short trips before extension, then will I be eligible for 30 days extension ?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 3:24 pm

senya wrote:I have no intention beyond 30+30 days. But
No guarantee...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 6:06 pm

The odds are you are going to get burned. Make sure when you go on your sojourns across the causeway, you carry ALL your luggage as they may ask to see your onward journey ticket OR they may not even let you back into the country hence the reason for taking all your belonging with you when you start doing your visa runs because that is what you are doing. A lot of us have lots of experience in the old days before they clamped down on it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

senya

Post by senya » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:51 pm

I have no intention to stay beyond the legally possible 60 days. All I want to do is 3 day short trip to penang Malyasia, 2 days short trip to indonesia batam, and a legal extension for singapore stay. All within the permissable limit of 60 days. However becos of all the visa runs, i am unable to do do this.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 22 Nov 2017 8:49 am

You should run them back to back, or stay longer to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:28 am

My daughter was here for a month (seemed longer :) ) and came and went as she pleased. She traveled around, sometimes only 1 or 2 day trips. She had no issues and not even an onward ticket initially. She got either 90 or 30 day extensions (I don't recall now) each time.

So it's certainly possible as long as it doesn't look like a visa run. Her travel looked liked someone exploring the region and using Sg as a base - which was exactly what she was doing.

senya

Post by senya » Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:27 am

Thanks. Hoping after my trips i am given an extension.

Its relatively easy to get an extension for additional 30 days. But I am restricted to do any short trips in the 30-60 day period. Extension is given on condition that if you move out, you cannot come back before 5 days... even if I have my 9-week multiple entry visa is valid. How silly is that. genuine trips are spoilt because of "expected" visa-run

This as a problem, when things are not clear black & white as what you can do and cannot. Entry/exit cannot be purely depending on subjective conditions like your luck, mood of the ICA officer etc. If there are loopholes it is legal.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 8:16 am

[quote="senya If there are loopholes it is legal.[/quote]

And this, my friend, is exactly why ICA automatically looks at short trips across the border as VISA runs, too many of your countrymen have abused the facility until they decided now to tighten it up. Those who follow only have their own countrymen to thanks for the difficulties. Don't forget to thank them if you know them. It's your statement (and thinking) above that created your own difficulties. ICA used the spirit of the law, not just the text. Just as we do here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:19 am

Off topic slightly, sorry OP.

Scenario:
Uk Citizen. Lives in JB. Travels every other day to visit a friend in Sg. for next 6 months. What type of VISA to apply for?
Will his passport be stamped (lots of them I guess!)?
What problems? When?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:40 am

I used to do most weekends, Sg to Malaysia. It does fill up the passport pretty quickly. Had to replace mine early, but they do add the remaining time onto the new one. :D

I don't know about the rest of your question but every second day will look like work, I suspect he will run into problems at some point.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 2:43 pm

Citizenship also matters a lot. People from certain countries may face higher scrutiny than others. So don't go by what you read online. What worked for them may not work for you.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 2:45 pm

bgd wrote:I used to do most weekends, Sg to Malaysia. It does fill up the passport pretty quickly. Had to replace mine early, but they do add the remaining time onto the new one. :D

I don't know about the rest of your question but every second day will look like work, I suspect he will run into problems at some point.
SG to Malaysia is poles apart from Malaysia to SG.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk