Singapore Expats Forum

EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
avinashjha
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 20 Nov 2017

EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby avinashjha » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 3:03 am

Hi


I have a job offer with XXXXX Consulting Pte. Ltd.. They hired me as a Senior Consultant (I work in the field of Data Analytics with SAS/Big Data) for a project with NCS. It's an year long contract with offered salary 6000 SGD. I am an Electronics and Communication BTech graduate from a recognized Indian university with a work experience of 7 years. Presently I am working with one of the Big 4 organisation in India. My date of joining is 12th December. Also, I have another job offer based in India with date of joining as 13th December.

What are my chances of EP approval? I could have waited but considering I have to take a decision to join one of the firms, I am asking the question to experts here. if my EP pass approval chances before 10th December looks possible, only then will I accept the Singapore offer and ask the employer to file for EP.

Your comments and thoughts please.

Thanks.

SarahMW
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 15 Jul 2017

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby SarahMW » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 6:46 am

They are unlikely to process your applic before mid Dec, it's only a contract and not a permanent offer, and SG doesn't like Indians. I'm Caucasian and on a lot more than $6k and my E Pass took a month. Personally I'd accept the Indian job and then move internally later on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 9:10 am

SarahMW wrote:They are unlikely to process your applic before mid Dec, it's only a contract and not a permanent offer, and SG doesn't like Indians. I'm Caucasian and on a lot more than $6k and my E Pass took a month. Personally I'd accept the Indian job and then move internally later on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


SG is trying to curtail foreign influx in certain sectors.

Not specifically Indians, though Indians seem to be a big number of applicants for most sectors

PS, what's the difference between contract and permanent ?

In Singapore context, both have no guaranteed employment.

And, more than a month for YOUR pass is long ;)

My Indian colleague's pass took 7 working days.

SarahMW
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 15 Jul 2017

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby SarahMW » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 9:22 am

Who knows why my applic took so long. At that time (2nd quarter 2017) it was the norm - according to this forum, various FB groups and my employer.

I'd certainly never take a contract over a permanent, but I'm not desperate for work/ money and favour stability. If my EP isn't approved next time then my employer would just transfer me to another country.

Of course, the poster may have different goals to me. It's just my opinion and they can ignore at will.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

avinashjha
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 20 Nov 2017

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby avinashjha » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 1:54 pm

SarahMW wrote:Who knows why my applic took so long. At that time (2nd quarter 2017) it was the norm - according to this forum, various FB groups and my employer.

I'd certainly never take a contract over a permanent, but I'm not desperate for work/ money and favour stability. If my EP isn't approved next time then my employer would just transfer me to another country.

Of course, the poster may have different goals to me. It's just my opinion and they can ignore at will.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


No, even I am not desperate for work/money. I do have another job offer and I am currently in a job, so work wise I ain't DESPERATE. I am already getting paid handsomely in current job and have a offer with considerable hike, considering I have my home here so expenses would be less, thus I ain't DESPERATE for money too. People have other reasons too to move out. I never told you what new challenges,role, responsibilities, benefits, opportunity I would be getting if I join the Singapore offer. I am not sure if i deserve more or less than SGD 6k, but what I know is that I am not desperate for money so the offer seem pretty good to me to cover my expenses and save for later.

Stability - I don't look forward to. I have worked for 3 organisations till now and have given 3 years each to 2 of them, and was pretty stable (won't be posting my resume here), yet I looked for further opportunities. If you have good skill set and keep yourself updated with technology, there won't be a dearth of offers and stability won't be an issue.

So thank you for taking out time to reply.

avinashjha
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 20 Nov 2017

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby avinashjha » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 1:57 pm

ecureilx wrote:
SarahMW wrote:They are unlikely to process your applic before mid Dec, it's only a contract and not a permanent offer, and SG doesn't like Indians. I'm Caucasian and on a lot more than $6k and my E Pass took a month. Personally I'd accept the Indian job and then move internally later on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


SG is trying to curtail foreign influx in certain sectors.

Not specifically Indians, though Indians seem to be a big number of applicants for most sectors

PS, what's the difference between contract and permanent ?

In Singapore context, both have no guaranteed employment.

And, more than a month for YOUR pass is long ;)

My Indian colleague's pass took 7 working days.



SG is trying to curtail foreign influx in certain sectors. - Yes I too read that, thus was apprehensive.
And I too had a word with a guy whose EP was approved in 4-5 working days. So, I think I would accept the offer. If the EP is approved on time - great.

Thanks a lot. :)

avinashjha
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 20 Nov 2017

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby avinashjha » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 7:28 pm

My EP status changed to "Approved" today. :D :D :D

SarahMW
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 15 Jul 2017

Re: EP - To Apply or Not to Apply

Postby SarahMW » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 7:29 pm

avinashjha wrote:My EP status changed to "Approved" today. :D :D :D
Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests