Singapore Expats Forum

Living with Type 1 Diabetes in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

Jemzor

Living with Type 1 Diabetes in Singapore

Postby Jemzor » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 7:45 pm

I am currently self-employed in the UK and am considering closing the business down and taking on permanent employment in Singapore. I am trying to find out a little more about what living with diabetes there will mean.

In the UK all my medication is free through government subsidy. I am aware in Singapore that all medication and consultations have to be paid for personally as medical cover for local companies are generally quite poor and expat packages have become more and more rare. I was wondering whether anyone here has lived/lives in Singapore and can tell me about their experience with diabetes and in particular the ease of of obtaining medication and cost.

Thank you!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Living with Type 1 Diabetes in Singapore

Postby BBCDoc » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 7:50 pm

Your bigger issue is how to move to Singapore in the first place for permanent employment. Do you have a job offer already? Or some connection to bring you over?

For diabetes, everything comes at a cost to foreigners. Get a job with high enough salary and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Jemzor

Re: Living with Type 1 Diabetes in Singapore

Postby Jemzor » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:14 pm

I am aware that it starts with securing employment. But before committing to the process I need to understand it is feasible and would also like to understand first hand what experience people have had in going through the process previously.