Singapore Expats

Arrested in Singapore for swearing at police officers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JayGmoney

Arrested in Singapore for swearing at police officers

Post by JayGmoney » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 8:34 pm

Hi all. I’m new to this forum and need some advice form anyone who knows the answer.

Last night I was arrested for swearing at a police officer. I was a little drunk at the time so was not aware of my actions. To make things worse, I was told in my interview the following morning that I spat at the police office too! I must have been very drunk to to that!

They’ve released me out on a personal bail.

I am British, on a tourist visa but was born in Singapore and am trying to set up a company here. I’ve been coming to Singapore a lot in the last 7 years to visit relatives and friends I’ve made here. I now have a Girlfriend who im planning to marry.

This similar incident happened to me last year where I was arrested for the same thing, but minus the spitting at the officer.

Last time, they let me off with a verbal warning and no record.

I’m currently on bail and they’re holding my passport.

My question is this:

- does the part where I spat at the officer make this worse?

- after a repeated offence but with no record, will they know about that last incident thus making this one worse?

- will I be banned from coming back to Singapore and what can be the charge?

- if I get any charges, will they ask me to leave the country?

Thanks guys looking forward to your feedback.

Jay

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Arrested in Singapore for swearing at police officers

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 11:34 pm

Sounds like a typical night out on the lash back in London. I would wager the folks here appreciate being gobbed at somewhat less than the London Fuzz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 9:27 am

Read 'em and weep.

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... d-to-know/
3. Disorderly behaviour in public
A person commits an offence of disorderly behaviour when he or she exhibits annoying or insulting behaviour in any public place, place of public amusement or resort, or in or nearby any court, public office, police station or place of worship. This is punishable under section 20 of the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act.

For a first-time offender, this offence is punishable with a maximum sentence of six months’ imprisonment, a fine of up to $2,000, or both. What constitutes as disorderly behaviour is illustrated in Public Prosecutor v Mohammad Azimmi bin Jamaluddin and others [2013] SGDC 269 where the accused was sentenced to one week’s imprisonment for his disorderly behaviour of shouting vulgarities at the police officer who was interviewing him near a carpark, waving his hands in the air and refusing to calm down despite the police officer’s instructions.

In Public Prosecutor v Perumal Naidu Surendra Sean Clinton and Others [2004] SGDC 129, one of the accused persons was found guilty of disorderly behaviour when he shouted and gesticulated at a police officer who had received a complaint from a stall holder in a hawker centre that the accused person had refused to pay for food that he had ordered. He was arrested when he ignored the police officer’s warnings to calm down.

4. Abusing a public servant
A public servant serves the public’s interest and are protected by the law in the discharge of their responsibilities. Any acts committed to prevent them from discharging their duties is punishable under criminal laws. Verbal and physical acts against public servants will not go unpunished. This was reiterated by the Minister of Law and Home Affairs K. Shanmugam in December 2016 who had asked for a review of the law on assault of public officers. To this end, some of the offences against public servants include:

(a) Threatening, abusing or insulting a public servant or public service worker: section 6 of the Protection from Harassment Act

A person who speaks, behaves or communicates in any indecent, threatening, abusive or insulting manner towards a public servant or public service worker when he or she is executing his duty is guilty of an offence, punishable with a maximum sentence of 12 months’ imprisonment, a fine not exceeding $5,000, or both. In Public Prosecutor v Harvinder Singh s/o Pritam Singh [2016] SGMC 11, the accused was found guilty of this offence when he behaved in an agitated and disorderly manner and shouted vulgarities at a police officer on the way to the police station after being placed under arrest. He even challenged the police officer to a fight. In light of his lack of genuine remorse and previous convictions for misconduct in public, he was sentenced to one month’s imprisonment. The court emphasised that such conduct towards police officers should not be tolerated, or it would translate to undermining police dignity and authority.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:15 am

Where does one go to see any cops on a night out in Singapore, let alone abuse them!!

Maybe I am in the wrong places but I think i can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have seen police out and about in the drinking areas in Singapore.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:33 am

JayGmoney wrote:Last time, they let me off with a verbal warning and no record.
You may have no formal record, but a dollar to a dog turd says that you are in the system. It's probably why you're on bail and your passport is held. They know it's your second offence and they are not going to be lenient this time.

PS: You need to wake up and grow up. Didn't you learn a lesson the first time?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:00 pm

Barnsley wrote:Where does one go to see any cops on a night out in Singapore, let alone abuse them!!

Maybe I am in the wrong places but I think i can count on the fingers of one hand the times I have seen police out and about in the drinking areas in Singapore.
My son can tell you. He learned the hard way. Not only verbally abused a cop but kneed one in the groin. He did 6 weeks but was released on home arrest for the final two weeks (without electronic bracelet - only because we have a wired landline - not dect). Oh, this was outside OT as well apparently. The whole episode was caught on CCTV and it took 5 cops to hold him down (which I found surprising). Apparently it looked like a US 'piling on' except they didn't beat the crap out of him like they sometimes do in the US. He's been out just a hair over one years and he's not had a drink since the episode happened on the eve of last years CNY. He knows he cannot drink 'fire water' now. We've known it for a long time! :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JayGmoney

Post by JayGmoney » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 3:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JayGmoney wrote:Last time, they let me off with a verbal warning and no record.
You may have no formal record, but a dollar to a dog turd says that you are in the system. It's probably why you're on bail and your passport is held. They know it's your second offence and they are not going to be lenient this time.

PS: You need to wake up and grow up. Didn't you learn a lesson the first time?
I was let out on bail last time and for the same bail amount of $1000 and had to report back for 6 weeks until they let it go.

I really hope it doesn’t effect me being in Singapore after this.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 7:22 pm

There are plenty of expats who hang on with a criminal record and even time served here. It's not the end of Singapore by any means. It will be a nuisance because you'll have a conviction for sure which needs to be declared for many visa applications and jobs etc.

I would definitely seek legal advice from a criminal defense lawyer. The law society can help with a list of them. IT's about mitigation now, not whether you're guilty or not. I won't make predictions for your actual sentence but you need help to stay out of Changi for sure.

What's happening now is the IO is making a report to the AGC. The AGC is the one who decide to prosecute or not. The IO should be reporting the matter factually without exaggeration. That is perhaps where a barrister can help. If the AGC recommends charging you then you'll need to appear in court. This is also where an experienced barrister can help dissuade the magistrate from a stiff sentence. If you are sentenced to time honestly I don't recommend appealing unless it's an absolutely obvious mis-sentencing.

Time to give up the booze mate. I gave it up when I was told it will definitely give me stomach cancer if I keep drinking and I've got a lot of other friends who've also stopped drinking. All my stupid mistakes have been when I was drunk. I would like to see bars and such forced to stop serving intoxicate patrons myself (although this is enough of a nanny state as it is).

(PS I have a son who is keen on joining the SPF).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JayGmoney

Post by JayGmoney » Wed, 15 Nov 2017 7:31 pm

PNGMK wrote:There are plenty of expats who hang on with a criminal record and even time served here. It's not the end of Singapore by any means. It will be a nuisance because you'll have a conviction for sure which needs to be declared for many visa applications and jobs etc.

I would definitely seek legal advice from a criminal defense lawyer. The law society can help with a list of them. IT's about mitigation now, not whether you're guilty or not. I won't make predictions for your actual sentence but you need help to stay out of Changi for sure.

What's happening now is the IO is making a report to the AGC. The AGC is the one who decide to prosecute or not. The IO should be reporting the matter factually without exaggeration. That is perhaps where a barrister can help. If the AGC recommends charging you then you'll need to appear in court. This is also where an experienced barrister can help dissuade the magistrate from a stiff sentence. If you are sentenced to time honestly I don't recommend appealing unless it's an absolutely obvious mis-sentencing.

Time to give up the booze mate. I gave it up when I was told it will definitely give me stomach cancer if I keep drinking and I've got a lot of other friends who've also stopped drinking. All my stupid mistakes have been when I was drunk. I would like to see bars and such forced to stop serving intoxicate patrons myself (although this is enough of a nanny state as it is).

(PS I have a son who is keen on joining the SPF).
Thank you for that lengthy reply mate.

I have handwritten an apology letter which i hope will show my side of the incident and also included a lengthy apology.

I am also hoping that the IO who interviewed me saw that i am a genuine bloke with no criminal intent and she hopefully decides to have them let it go...

I guess i'll have to wait till the 27th when I report for Bail.

Thanks again for the reply

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 6:20 am

While you wait for the 27th please see at least one solicitor or barrister. You need to have one on a retainer or contracted to represent you should you not be able to leave the police station on the 27th (it's possible and legal for your bail to be revoked on the 27th or even prior).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 9:26 am

^^^ This especially so, since there have been a fair number of runners while on bail. PNGMK is giving you sound advice.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^ This especially so, since there have been a fair number of runners while on bail. PNGMK is giving you sound advice.
I think the OP is playing Ostrich. Hopefully he signs up a lawyer. There's nothing worse than being in the lockup realizing no one is on the outside looking after your interests.

JayGmoney

Post by JayGmoney » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 4:42 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^ This especially so, since there have been a fair number of runners while on bail. PNGMK is giving you sound advice.
I think the OP is playing Ostrich. Hopefully he signs up a lawyer. There's nothing worse than being in the lockup realizing no one is on the outside looking after your interests.
thanks for that piecee of advise, I am in contact with one and have a meting with her tomorrow.

Will keep you updated!

One question - Does my Bail amount of $1000 indicate that this is a minor case? vs one that would be lets say $5000 or $10,000 Bail amount?

Or does it not matter?

Also, is there any chance the 2 week Bail is a test to see if i will get arrested again or even show up on the 27th? As a sort of way for them to see if i comply with their instructions?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 4:50 pm

Yeah, it's a jail-able offence, but apparently they don't really think you are a flight risk and as long as you didn't pull a dumb on like my kid did, you will probably only have a fine, but, again, they may also slap it to you to make an example. With the courts here, you can never quite tell as the punishments don't always fit the crime. Sometimes they are light and sometimes they seems a bit over the top. Just don't antagonize anybody. It's yes ma'am, yes sir, yes your honour. ALL THE WAY.

JayGmoney

Post by JayGmoney » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 4:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, it's a jail-able offence, but apparently they don't really think you are a flight risk and as long as you didn't pull a dumb on like my kid did, you will probably only have a fine, but, again, they may also slap it to you to make an example. With the courts here, you can never quite tell as the punishments don't always fit the crime. Sometimes they are light and sometimes they seems a bit over the top. Just don't antagonize anybody. It's yes ma'am, yes sir, yes your honour. ALL THE WAY.
I am hoping my good behavior and politeness in the police station counts for something too!