Singapore Expats Forum

Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 1:28 am

.

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 1:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:saynotocat,

I'll just bet you are from a 'reputed' university in India as well, correct? :lol:

The rest of the world, outside of the sub-domain/sub-continent, usually refers to that letter as only a Testimonial letter and it is ALWAYS taken with a grain of salt (or more likely a teaspoon of salt). It is generally disregarded if provided (most don't and none of my Indian S pass holders (degrees, all) have ever bothered to submit nor do we bother to ask, as has been already been noted, it is virtually worthless. Salary vouchers and reference checks work better (if warranted). So, in your own words, Ignorance is bliss if you think it's going to make a difference in your application. [-X


A Moderator with such a good sense of humor, slow claps :D

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 1:32 am

BBCDoc wrote:Not all job functions require experience letters. I’ve worked for 2 large MNCs and they do not provide such for departure. In my current one, they would not either.

For candidates, we would rely on reference follow up, since as alluded to before, letters can be faked. If the reference sounds fishy, the candidate will be out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks for inputs

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 18 Nov 2017 9:14 am

saynotocat wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:saynotocat,

I'll just bet you are from a 'reputed' university in India as well, correct?

The rest of the world, outside of the sub-domain/sub-continent, usually refers to that letter as only a Testimonial letter and it is ALWAYS taken with a grain of salt (or more likely a teaspoon of salt). It is generally disregarded if provided (most don't and none of my Indian S pass holders (degrees, all) have ever bothered to submit nor do we bother to ask, as has been already been noted, it is virtually worthless. Salary vouchers and reference checks work better (if warranted). So, in your own words, Ignorance is bliss if you think it's going to make a difference in your application. [-X


A Moderator with such a good sense of humor, slow claps :D
Deleting posts isn't generally against forum ethics.

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Sun, 19 Nov 2017 2:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:
saynotocat wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:saynotocat,

I'll just bet you are from a 'reputed' university in India as well, correct?

The rest of the world, outside of the sub-domain/sub-continent, usually refers to that letter as only a Testimonial letter and it is ALWAYS taken with a grain of salt (or more likely a teaspoon of salt). It is generally disregarded if provided (most don't and none of my Indian S pass holders (degrees, all) have ever bothered to submit nor do we bother to ask, as has been already been noted, it is virtually worthless. Salary vouchers and reference checks work better (if warranted). So, in your own words, Ignorance is bliss if you think it's going to make a difference in your application. [-X


A Moderator with such a good sense of humor, slow claps :D
Deleting posts isn't generally against forum ethics.


Just to update.
I requested background verification agency to carryout my verification of current employer in advance (before my last day at current employer).
Last week my office received a call from them and, in addition to other details, my joining date and relieving date was asked. My office informed about my joining date and informed that I am still working there so no information on relieving date was provided.

I hope it went fine & they may not call again in future :-) and its over

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:29 am

My background check agency sent an email to my current employer expecting an acknowledgement from them and by mistake, in email content, they mentioned the name of my future employer.

For some reasons, I wasn't comfortable to reveal my future employers details to my current employer but these stupid background check people mistakenly did that :x

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby BBCDoc » Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:34 am

Never understood why people are reluctant to reveal their next employer. One company I know proudly broadcast their next hire immediately on LinkedIn after offer acceptance.

Guess it probably depends on one’s industry. My one (healthcare) is so small, it is ridiculous how connected people are that any move is immediately on the grapevine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:23 am

BBCDoc wrote:Never understood why people are reluctant to reveal their next employer. One company I know proudly broadcast their next hire immediately on LinkedIn after offer acceptance.

Guess it probably depends on one’s industry. My one (healthcare) is so small, it is ridiculous how connected people are that any move is immediately on the grapevine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


There are many reasons for the same. Business interest conflicts making your exit tougher due to unproductive exit interview/ increments/ promotion offers from current employer which you dont want to consider while exiting, shrewd manager who may approach with wrong comments with friend manager in future company.

Particularly as one grow up in ladder, generally people dont reveal these details....because of many reasons...exceptions are there like Raja Kaduri, AMD joined Intel as chief architect, senior vice president and it was celebrated by Linkedin even before he joined Intel

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35227
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 3:36 pm

Yeah, I'm beginning to understand. That is why you only see it on the sub-continent or in overseas unit that happen to have Indian Managers trying to hire more of there own (like they did here and caused the current backlash since the 2015 GE). From what I see, you all need it as a lot will screw their own MiL if they think they can get a leg up. Based on all the news we see over here, this type of mentality is the norm there. Just like Employment agents over there screwing their own countrymen with fake IPAs from Singapore's MOM and charging 5 to 8K in placement fees, to be paid up front and when they get here there isn't any job at all.

Yeah, you are right, your people need the Relieving Letter. The rest of the world finds that they can operate just fine without it.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3946
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 4:01 pm

I have experience letters from 3 companies in Singapore. 2 of then global banks and 1 local bank. So it is not an Indian thing. I have also used these as supporting documents for my Singapore PR application. It is probably the US that is different.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35227
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Nov 2017 4:19 pm

I thought it was those companies that had Indian Nationals in charge of HR that caused all the flack at the last GE? :lol: As others have attested to on here already, it's not the norm in the rest of the world and relatively rare here. Maybe your company has been burned by your countrymen before?

I thought your PR apps had been rejected? :???:

saynotocat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 12 Nov 2017

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby saynotocat » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 1:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, you are right, your people need the Relieving Letter. The rest of the world finds that they can operate just fine without it.


You may like to exclude US/ Canada/ India/ Some of the Singapore (I only dealt with these handful of countries so cant comment on other countries) since they seem to be not falling in "your rest of the world"

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, I'm beginning to understand. That is why you only see it on the sub-continent or in overseas unit that happen to have Indian Managers trying to hire more of there own (like they did here and caused the current backlash since the 2015 GE).

I wish "your people" soon reach at that position (like Indians) to hire more talent, if any,from your own :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35227
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 8:15 am

I look at what's happening in your country and only pray other countries don't follow suit. :roll:

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby Sporkin » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 8:17 am

saynotocat wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, you are right, your people need the Relieving Letter. The rest of the world finds that they can operate just fine without it.


You may like to exclude US/ Canada/ India/ Some of the Singapore (I only dealt with these handful of countries so cant comment on other countries) since they seem to be not falling in "your rest of the world"

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, I'm beginning to understand. That is why you only see it on the sub-continent or in overseas unit that happen to have Indian Managers trying to hire more of there own (like they did here and caused the current backlash since the 2015 GE).

I wish "your people" soon reach at that position (like Indians) to hire more talent, if any,from your own :)
Talent...hard to sort out the chaff, my own sampling I have seen candidates that seem like outright liars on what they can do. To consolidate their position by nepotistic hiring, you betcha

Sent from my G8342 using Tapatalk

yesitsme
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri, 10 Jun 2016

Re: Is Experience/ Relieving Letter mandatory?

Postby yesitsme » Thu, 21 Dec 2017 9:43 pm

OP, from my experience too with 4+ employers in Singapore, it is normal to issue experience/employment/relieving letters. (with some it is standard part of the process and some they do on request). However rarely do next employers ask for those.. As long as you have cleared the referral checks and not have any contractual issues with previous employer, you should be ok..


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests