Singapore Expats

ON EP - RESIGN - LEAVE NEXT DAY

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

ON EP - RESIGN - LEAVE NEXT DAY

Post by martincymru » Fri, 10 Nov 2017 5:26 pm

I have an offer overseas pending.

Scenario.
EP, one week notice per Employment Contract.
Give notice today 10Nov2017, then leave employer office 16Nov2017 & hand back EP, leave overseas next day.

Are there any issues / problems / papers I need associated with this in order to leave Sg cleanly?

Btw all tax, bills etc. fully paid up to date. Question is not about the money since I already know employer will hold final salary.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: ON EP - RESIGN - LEAVE NEXT DAY

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Nov 2017 9:51 pm

You may get held up at immigration as you cannot cancel your EP until the Tax Clearance is done. That will take from 7 to 10 days. Otherwise you stand a chance of being held up at immigration. Having said that, as long as the employer is holding your final cheque until that time, as long as it's sufficient then you might get through okay. IRAS requires 1 month advance notice for tax clearance by law, so most anything could happen, I suppose. I think you will find that IRAS takes precedence over your employment contract.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:48 am

just a thought, what if I remit 5k to IRAS through my account today (tax will only be 2k max) would that help/assist?

is it legal to hold someone here against their will?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 3:15 pm

martincymru wrote:I have an offer overseas pending.

Scenario.
Give notice today 10Nov2017, then leave employer office 16Nov2017 & hand back EP, leave overseas next day.

Are there any issues / problems / papers I need associated with this in order to leave Sg cleanly?

Btw all tax, bills etc. fully paid up to date. Question is not about the money since I already know employer will hold final salary.
It won't help.

But IRAS does provide fast clearance if you got your last employment pay slip in advance.

And send the tax calculator filled it.

6 days I got for somebody

But the assessment comes by post, so 6 days includes all.

PS, who will hold you here ? Didn't get that part

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 4:41 pm

I actually gotten the employer's assessment in 4 days but that is by continual checking of the company IRAS site. It will be on there 3 days before you receive the hard copy by post. While there is not payment voucher with the online version, I reckon a company cheque in the correct amount should take care of it. But leaving the day after and before having tax clearance,....

like I said, you might get away but that is a chance you would have to take. I don't have any anecdotal evidence otherwise.

There is another option, but I'm loath to mention it. We've had S pass holders who have left without filing and we've had to file tax clearance for them after they have already left the country with a valid pass still in their possession. When we filed the tax clearance there are two boxes, on of which has to be filled out. "Did the employee give one month's notice" if yes that's all that's needed for the two questions. however if the answer is no, then the employer needs to answer the 2nd question, "What was the reason for not giving one month's notice? It has a drop down menu, with think like "Employee gave short notice", Employee was overseas and resigned as well as around 4 other reasons to chose from. I supposed the could file you tax clearance that way. They would still have your final cheque to pay the taxes from and deduct from whatever monies available. However, I don't know how/if that would impact your return at some point in the future. It shouldn't, considering they are still getting their full measure of tribute. But this IS Singapore and as we all know, they have their own ball, court and game rules.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:24 am

I have good relationship with my present Employer and I'm not keen to leave Sg without having tax clearance.

Is it worth contacting IRAS directly, explain the situation to them or ask my Employer to do so on my behalf? Advance payslip and me calculating tax and remitting is a way forward but I am committed to a flight 26nov2017 for start date overseas on 27Nov2017. It's a worry.

luckycricket

Post by luckycricket » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:59 am

martincymru wrote:I have an offer overseas pending.

Scenario.

My friend did the same in July this year and did not face any issue at immigration. Her company was holding her last month salary and used it for her tax clearance and deposited the rest in her account after 2 weeks of her departure. If you are planning to do so then remember to update the corresponding address at IRAS to your friend's address who can inform you about it. Your SingPass will also remain valid for some time (may be 4 weeks .. not sure about this duration) so you can also check and clear your dues (in case your company don't do it) or ask your friend here in Singapore to help you with this.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Nov 2017 9:16 am

martincymru wrote:I have good relationship with my present Employer and I'm not keen to leave Sg without having tax clearance.

Is it worth contacting IRAS directly, explain the situation to them or ask my Employer to do so on my behalf? Advance payslip and me calculating tax and remitting is a way forward but I am committed to a flight 26nov2017 for start date overseas on 27Nov2017. It's a worry.
IRAS won't care who pays as long as it's paid.

You can't get a provisional pay slip ?

carolynb

Post by carolynb » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 8:29 pm

Hi there, could you let us know how it went?

My employer may not be able to file my taxes one month in advance due to end-year bonus not being announced yet although i gave a 3 months notice. I am also leaving a day after my last day and do not wish to be held at customs.

I was once held at customs because my employer neglected to give me the cancellation letter. That was pretty horrible.

carolynb

Post by carolynb » Thu, 16 Nov 2017 8:34 pm

They have also withheld last month's pay so that should not be the problem but bureaucratic logic defies me sometimes. Been trying to get a straight answer from my HR, IRAS and MOM but have been given vague answers. My HR even said i may have to stay til March 2018 as it will take them 3 months to clear tax. That is clearly ridiculous as well as illegal.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 8:29 am

"held" is one thing, being stopped/prevented is another for which I am not clear as to the legality.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 10:25 am

carolynb wrote:Hi there, could you let us know how it went?

My employer may not be able to file my taxes one month in advance due to end-year bonus not being announced yet although i gave a 3 months notice. I am also leaving a day after my last day and do not wish to be held at customs.

I was once held at customs because my employer neglected to give me the cancellation letter. That was pretty horrible.
Being held for pass not being properly cancelled isn't the same as OPs case

Many people leave without clearing tax as it's the employers responsibility to hold last month pay and settle if employee can't clear on time.

In your case, if your employer is medium or large size company, they know how to do it.

No fret. No sweat.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 10:27 am

carolynb wrote:They have also withheld last month's pay so that should not be the problem but bureaucratic logic defies me sometimes. Been trying to get a straight answer from my HR, IRAS and MOM but have been given vague answers. My HR even said i may have to stay til March 2018 as it will take them 3 months to clear tax. That is clearly ridiculous as well as illegal.
How big Is your company ?

Unless your pay is being held for bonus, 1 week to 2 week max it should clear.

No, Forget Mom and all.

Read up on IRAS.

Oh, SMS did post a few times about staff leaving without clearing tax and employer's role in that situation

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:37 am

My [OP] situation is decided.....

Fact:
When I entered Singapore Sept 2017 (after short holiday) as a tourist, immigration gave me "frequent traveller" loose ticket. I started work with present Employer on 01 Oct 2017 (agreed 7 day resignation notice). Last day of employment 05 Dec 2017.

When I exit (10 Dec 2017) then I only need scan through my passport (even on a tourist visa they said). IC is to be handed back to present Employer 05 Dec 2017.
Question: Do you perceive this will still be the [smooth] process in the event my Employer notifies IRAS, say 06 Dec 2017?

Question:

Considering the above and to prevent uncomfortable issue arising on exit (10 Dec 2017) is it best to just let my Employer "slow time" inform IRAS who will "slow time" do the assessment? Of course I will be safely out of Sg by then. If I request HR (on say 01 Dec 2017) to ask IRAS for advance tax clearance (will probably not receive clearance in time i.e. before 10 Dec 2017) then this may actually create a ["new"] problem at immigration when I exit 10 Dec 2017. Correct?

Note: I dread any issue on exit. Re-entry is no problem 'cos my Employer is reliable (aside, Employer is holding 7k, tax is ~1k).

luckycricket

Post by luckycricket » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:01 am

Unpaid tax is not a criminal offence and ICA is not going to stop you because of this. But if you don't clear it within the period given to you by IRAS and IRAS declares you a defaulter then it will cause you the problem with your future entry/exit or your employment pass applications.