Singapore Expats

Canada-born minor applying Sg citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
erencie

Canada-born minor applying Sg citizenship

Post by erencie » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 1:04 am

Asking on behalf of friend. What is the chance of a newborn baby girl (<1 years old) getting SG citizenship if:

1. She's born in Canada.
2. Her mother is a SG citizen by registration.
3. Her mother stays in Canada for the past few years because she has a high-paying professional job in Canada.
3. Her father is a foreigner to Singapore.

The whole family is planning a re-location back to Singapore in the future because of cultural/educational/career-wise reasons.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Canada-born minor applying Sg citizenship

Post by bcheng74 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 4:02 am

erencie wrote:Asking on behalf of friend. What is the chance of a newborn baby girl (<1 years old) getting SG citizenship if:

1. She's born in Canada.
2. Her mother is a SG citizen by registration.
3. Her mother stays in Canada for the past few years because she has a high-paying professional job in Canada.
3. Her father is a foreigner to Singapore.

The whole family is planning a re-location back to Singapore in the future because of cultural/educational/career-wise reasons.
Quoted from wiki. Please validate with ICA

If the parent from whom the child derives citizenship is a Singaporean citizen by registration, the child will be granted Singaporean citizenship by descent only if they do not acquire citizenship of the country of their birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erencie

Post by erencie » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 6:28 am

bcheng74 wrote: Quoted from wiki. Please validate with ICA

If the parent from whom the child derives citizenship is a Singaporean citizen by registration, the child will be granted Singaporean citizenship by descent only if they do not acquire citizenship of the country of their birth.

Hmmm...Both Canada and US have this automatic birthright citizenship law; that's the problem.

So, if a Singapore citizen parent (by registration) comes to US/Canada to work or pursue PhD study, and then gives birth to a baby during the overseas stay, the baby will not be eligible to get Singapore citizenship by descent. Is this right?

I'm sure there are a lot of Singaporeans studying/working in US/Canada; some of them are naturalized citizens. I'm wondering why nobody seems to have this concern.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:20 am

Quite a few countries over that last few decades have modified their citizenship by descent rules to limit unending chains of "citizens" that have never been to the country at all, a case in point, your friend's daughter.

I'm old enough to have full UK citizenship by right of descent. My daughter cannot exercise that same right as she would be second generation born out of country. However, I was born in Canada and she is a Canadian citizen by right of descent, but my granddaughter cannot exercise that option... second generation.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:43 am

erencie wrote:

Hmmm...Both Canada and US have this automatic birthright citizenship law; that's the problem.

So, if a Singapore citizen parent (by registration) comes to US/Canada to work or pursue PhD study, and then gives birth to a baby during the overseas stay, the baby will not be eligible to get Singapore citizenship by descent. Is this right?

I'm sure there are a lot of Singaporeans studying/working in US/Canada; some of them are naturalized citizens. I'm wondering why nobody seems to have this concern.
https://www.ica.gov.sg/apply/citizenshi ... enship_who

Based on the ICA link, I think the SG parent can apply citizenship for her child. I believe they simplified the requirements. I do not see the additional qualifications regarding eligibility.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:11 pm

erencie wrote:

I think you still can but don’t expect dual nationality. ICA may request the child to relinquish foreign citizenship. In any case, best for your to consult with ICA or the embassy if you are overseas.