Singapore Expats

Average duration of stay of expats in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Average duration of stay of expats in Singapore?

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 11:43 pm

I was wondering, on an average how long do expats stay in Singapore (PRs not counted)?

I tried to find this statistic but as always such things are opaque in Singapore.

I was quite surprised about middle east statistic

https://trendsmena.com/culture-society/ ... s-10-years

I wonder how people mange to stay there for so long with PR?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Average duration of stay of expats in Singapore?

Post by brian_singapore » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 2:24 pm

I'd guess similar in Singapore, but if you drop PRs from the mix it may distort things as it was very easy to obtain up until relatively recently. So a lot of people who would have only stayed on EPs if PR were not available likely switched to PR.

I also know a lot of people who have stayed on EPs for an extended period of time here including a lot of my co-workers.

They have no intention leaving so I'd guess they will only leave when their children move out or they retire.

Unless the job market turns so bad they are made redundant and can't find a new role. Or the SG government starts refusing to renew EPs for people who are already here.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 4:13 pm

I think the biggest hindrance with staying on EP is that you have to leave the country within one month if you lose your job. With this kind of uncertainty, how can you really plan long term like buy a house, car etc?

In the gulf, I believe you can stay longer even if you lose your job. People there buy houses and multiple generations stay there on visas.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 6:42 pm

Another question I have, my role has been pretty stagnant in the 8 years I have been here. This is by my choice though, I am not those ambitious career oriented types. Although I have had to change 4 companies. My salary went up by about 30% in this time mainly because of a one time big jump from contractor to permanent. For my experience level though I should become either a manager or architect level and earn a lot more. So my question is how long will MoM let me keep renewing my EP if my salary is only 8k with around 15 years experience?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 7:43 pm

Wd40 wrote:Another question I have, my role has been pretty stagnant in the 8 years I have been here. This is by my choice though, I am not those ambitious career oriented types. Although I have had to change 4 companies. My salary went up by about 30% in this time mainly because of a one time big jump from contractor to permanent. For my experience level though I should become either a manager or architect level and earn a lot more. So my question is how long will MoM let me keep renewing my EP if my salary is only 8k with around 15 years experience?

In my opinion you are already over the limit and I'm surprised it has been renewed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 8:13 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Another question I have, my role has been pretty stagnant in the 8 years I have been here. This is by my choice though, I am not those ambitious career oriented types. Although I have had to change 4 companies. My salary went up by about 30% in this time mainly because of a one time big jump from contractor to permanent. For my experience level though I should become either a manager or architect level and earn a lot more. So my question is how long will MoM let me keep renewing my EP if my salary is only 8k with around 15 years experience?

In my opinion you are already over the limit and I'm surprised it has been renewed.
I am actually hoping something breaks this state of constant limbo. 8 years is too long to live a temporary stop gap kind of life. I wouldn't leave on my own. I need some push or pull factors. If my EP gets denied that will be a good excuse to get out of here.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 8:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:. If my EP gets denied that will be a good excuse to get out of here.
I hope THAT doesn't make it to ASS. And get interpreted differently Image

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 9:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:. If my EP gets denied that will be a good excuse to get out of here.
I hope THAT doesn't make it to ASS. And get interpreted differently Image
What other interpretation is possible? It is so clear.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:51 am

My EP has been approved again for another 3 years.

Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:59 am

For me as long as it makes financial sense, I will stay in SG. I am not sure SG likes me that much. My daughter's PR applications have been rejected. Our family's citizenship application has been rejected (17 years in SG + 12 years PR for me). When our daughter's P1 registration for local school failed, I seriously thought of going home. But now while we have to send our daughter to International School, it just happens that our incomes have kept pace with the additional expenses because of small career improvements. So we will stay here for now.

Congrats WD40

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 9:05 am

bro75 wrote:For me as long as it makes financial sense, I will stay in SG. I am not sure SG likes me that much. My daughter's PR applications have been rejected. Our family's citizenship application has been rejected (17 years in SG + 12 years PR for me). When our daughter's P1 registration for local school failed, I seriously thought of going home. But now while we have to send our daughter to International School, it just happens that our incomes have kept pace with the additional expenses because of small career improvements. So we will stay here for now.
I am anxiously waiting for my daughter's P1 application result. It will be out this week or the next. They have jacked up the price and also removed the 1st 2 year PR rate for foreigners. So now that arbitrage between local school fees and the cheaper international school fees is gone. Still if we get a seat we will put her to local school.

It is really sad what they are doing to PR's non PR kids. LTVP holders cannot even go to non edutrust schools and that whole student pass crap.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 9:23 am

Yes DP kids have more choices for schools than my daughter.

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:43 pm

Wd40 wrote:My EP has been approved again for another 3 years.

My EP used to only be renewed for 2 years at a time. Then after 5 years of living in SG they made me a PR.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:22 pm

CashewNut wrote:

My EP used to only be renewed for 2 years at a time. Then after 5 years of living in SG they made me a PR.
They made you a PR, or you applied as was granted PR? Big difference. In fact I've never hear of anyone having be 'made' a PR. Forced down you throat was it?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
CashewNut wrote:

They made you a PR, or you applied as was granted PR? Big difference. In fact I've never hear of anyone having be 'made' a PR. Forced down you throat was it?

He attained PRhood :)