Singapore Expats

Average duration of stay of expats in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Average duration of stay of expats in Singapore?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: They made you a PR, or you applied as was granted PR? Big difference. In fact I've never hear of anyone having be 'made' a PR. Forced down you throat was it?
more than 15 years ago know 'Better become SC' thing.

Especially during the economic crisis.

Never heard of PR forced.

Only by invite.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Tue, 07 Apr 2020 1:26 am

Article link in original article is now gone - what did it say?

('+10 years' in the Gulf countries?)

I've been here since 2005 - westerner, own company, 15 years on EP. (& 3 rejections for PR, so far...I should have applied in 2006-09)

I used to think 15 years was a long time on EP. However, I've met quite a few who's been here for +20 years.

Living on EP is fine. Worst part is the penalty for buying real estate - basically you'll be paying a 24% "fine", which feels a somewhat incongruent expense when officialdom basically sees you as a sponsored, disposable transient.

More to the point, most overseas EP holders wouldn't even be let back into the country due to current COVID-19 restrictions.
Last edited by BigginHill on Tue, 07 Apr 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 07 Apr 2020 9:44 am

I know someone who has been on an EP since about 1990. That would be 30 years. I can't believe it. He runs his own company as well and was married to a local for ages. Some people just don't see any value, I will check in with him now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 May 2020 11:42 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Tue, 07 Apr 2020 1:26 am
Article link in original article is now gone - what did it say?

('+10 years' in the Gulf countries?)

I've been here since 2005 - westerner, own company, 15 years on EP. (& 3 rejections for PR, so far...I should have applied in 2006-09)

I used to think 15 years was a long time on EP. However, I've met quite a few who's been here for +20 years.

Living on EP is fine. Worst part is the penalty for buying real estate - basically you'll be paying a 24% "fine", which feels a somewhat incongruent expense when officialdom basically sees you as a sponsored, disposable transient.

More to the point, most overseas EP holders wouldn't even be let back into the country due to current COVID-19 restrictions.
This is a thread I started more than 2yrs ago and I dont even remember now starting it. Just saw it because you bumped it up. :)

I have now completed close to 11 years on EP. Now I have kind of become very numb, being here for so long, now I am pretty neutral whatever happens. I have made enough money, feel like any more time spent here, will be like kind of not experiencing anything new or adventurous, but playing the samething in a loop again and again and again. While the momentum of continuing here, will mean easy money adding to my retirement kitty and thats awesome. But, having to leave this place will mean something new to explore.