Singapore Expats

Question about breach of employment contract

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
yarli38

Question about breach of employment contract

Post by yarli38 » Sat, 04 Nov 2017 10:07 pm

I signed an employment contract with a company but not yet commence to work. The date of contract is the date of my first day. Now I got another offer, which is what I really wanted. There is no specific clause that mention the penalty if I reject before commencement.
I need to know is there any consequences if I tell the company I cannot work for them? I understand it will reflect bad on my reputation but I really want the other job.
The other way is once I start on the first day I can resign and it only needs 7 days notice. Any suggestion?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Question about breach of employment contract

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 12:23 am

yarli38 wrote:I signed an employment contract with a company but not yet commence to work. The date of contract is the date of my first day. Now I got another offer, which is what I really wanted. There is no specific clause that mention the penalty if I reject before commencement.
I need to know is there any consequences if I tell the company I cannot work for them? I understand it will reflect bad on my reputation but I really want the other job.
The other way is once I start on the first day I can resign and it only needs 7 days notice. Any suggestion?
Companies can let you go Scot free or sue you depending on their resolve.

Nobody can predict that