Singapore Expats

Public School in Singapore for Foreigners

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
TangoDown

Public School in Singapore for Foreigners

Post by TangoDown » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 11:09 pm

Hello Fellow Citizens,

I am a Foreigners working in Singapore for last 4 years married and with young kid. We are not Permanent residences. on EP pass, Wife and my daughter on DP. I am sole bread winner. Hoping to understand if my daughter have any chance to apply for local school as we cannot afford International Schools. What are my chances to get a local school admission. If there is any chance, do i have to goto each school and apply? or is there any centralized system where i can apply online?

I could see other users talking about phases when applying for primary school. what are they?

Your advise will be much appreciated. :)

Regards

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Public School in Singapore for Foreigners

Post by bcheng74 » Thu, 02 Nov 2017 11:14 pm

Go to Facebook and join the Singapore Expats in Local Schools group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 1:33 am

TangoDown,

You can go to MOE website and you can take a look at the links on the left side. Which will give you more information on the Phases and application procedures.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/prima ... gistration

You can try apply at newer and new schools or schools which are popular/have a higher intake of expatriate families, which might give you a better chance.

You can read up on MOE site as some phases are through visits to the school and some phases are through online applications.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 1:44 am

joop wrote:TangoDown,

You can go to MOE website and you can take a look at the links on the left side. Which will give you more information on the Phases and application procedures.

You can try apply at newer and new schools or schools which are popular/have a higher intake of expatriate families, which might give you a better chance.

You can read up on MOE site as some phases are through visits to the school and some phases are through online applications.
Primary school intake for foreigner (i.e. DP) can only be done through either phase 3 of primary one intake, or AEIS examination for primary two to five.

Both windows are closed now for 2018 intake. The next one will be 2019 intake which will happen from June 2018 onwards. Other than this, there is no other way to apply for primary school.

SarahMW

Post by SarahMW » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 7:10 am

Those who can't afford private schools keep looking until they find they can can afford, increase their income or home school (whether done by a parent or tutor/s)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 8:40 am

Look at the MOE website for school registration procedures for foreigners.
To summarize, P1 must go through P1 registration exercise which has 3 phases. Foreigners are on phase 3 where most of the slots have already been taken.
P2-P5 must go through the AEIS route. Basically, your child takes the AEIS exam, and you pray that he/she gets a slot.
There is no admission for P6.
It is very difficult for a foreign child to get into a local school nowadays unlike in the past (bef 2011) when they try to accommodate most foreign children. So have a plan B for your child.

If your child did not get a slot, your options would be
- home schooling
- private schools with local curriculum (e.g. San Yu)
- International Schools
- other alternative learning institutes/centres such as Open Primary, SFA Eduhearts, Invictus

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 03 Nov 2017 12:50 pm

Worst case scenario , wife and child have to head back to the homeland for schooling.

With the changes to salaries required for Dependent passes and the closure/merging of schools in Singapore, maybe the Govt think its time some folk moved on!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown » Sun, 05 Nov 2017 1:12 am

thanks guys..
keep rocking..!

Kochi

Post by Kochi » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 4:58 pm

bcheng74 wrote:

Primary school intake for foreigner (i.e. DP) can only be done through either phase 3 of primary one intake, or AEIS examination for primary two to five.

Both windows are closed now for 2018 intake. The next one will be 2019 intake which will happen from June 2018 onwards. Other than this, there is no other way to apply for primary school.

I read here that there is a supplementary AEIS exam coming up in February 2018. If a student qualifies it s/he will be considered for April 2018 admission.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... s-exercise
Last edited by Kochi on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kochi

Post by Kochi » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 5:12 pm

Is anyone selling used P1 and P2 books prescribed by MOE for local schools in Singapore? I guess, there is no legal restriction in selling/buying used school books. I am coaching my daughter for Supplementary AEIS in February 2018.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... on-process

In addition, can someone advise me on the test and the preparation? She's currently following CBSE curriculum in India (Class 2). She is doing good in her studies. Is S-AEIS tough?

Thank you.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sun, 12 Nov 2017 9:36 am

Kochi wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:

I read here that there is a supplementary AEIS exam coming up in February 2018. If a student qualifies it s/he will be considered for April 2018 admission.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... s-exercise
Yes there is S-AEIS but the admission rate is even lower. Anyway, good luck!

tsoching

Post by tsoching » Mon, 20 Nov 2017 8:18 am

bro75 wrote:Look at the MOE website for school registration procedures for foreigners.
To summarize, P1 must go through P1 registration exercise which has 3 phases. Foreigners are on phase 3 where most of the slots have already been taken.
P2-P5 must go through the AEIS route. Basically, your child takes the AEIS exam, and you pray that he/she gets a slot.
It is very difficult for a foreign child to get into a local school nowadays unlike in the past (bef 2011) when they try to accommodate most foreign children. So have a plan B for your child.

- home schooling
- International Schools
- other alternative learning institutes/centres such as Open Primary, SFA Eduhearts, Invictus

Would you be able to give me an idea on roughly how much the tuition is for local school, private school with local curriculum, and International Schools at primary level? And how do the three types of schools compare in terms of quality of education? I am hoping to get a better idea before negotiating a job offer. My child is 5 and can speak some Chinese if that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 20 Nov 2017 8:56 am

tsoching wrote:
bro75 wrote:Look at the MOE website for school registration procedures for foreigners.

- home schooling
- International Schools

Would you be able to give me an idea on roughly how much the tuition is for local school, private school with local curriculum, and International Schools at primary level? And how do the three types of schools compare in terms of quality of education? I am hoping to get a better idea before negotiating a job offer. My child is 5 and can speak some Chinese if that matters.

Go and join the Facebook group called “Singapore Expats in Local Schools”. It has the right resources to discuss about local schools.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 20 Nov 2017 10:28 am

tsoching wrote:

- home schooling
- International Schools

Local school fees for international students see the link below

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... chool-fees

School fees for private school and international school ranges from 12K/year to 50K/year.

I cannot say about the quality since it is very subjective and there are no common metrics to compare local vs private vs international. Join the facebook group mentioned by bcheng. It is very informative.

Kochi

Post by Kochi » Mon, 20 Nov 2017 5:16 pm

Anyone knows this:

Even if a foreigner student passes S-AEIS test, I understand that the chances of getting selected for any school is slim. Is it possible to select 'No location preference' at the time of registering for the exam? Does that improve the student's chance of admission to any public school wheresoever in Singapore?

I am especially interested about chances of primary school admission.

Thank you.