Singapore Expats

Not suitable for the declared occupation

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jnkrzlr1225

Not suitable for the declared occupation

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Mon, 30 Oct 2017 8:47 pm

Hi everyone here.

I saw the result of my S Pass application today and it was rejected. The reason given was that I was not suitable for the declared occupation. It was a job as a Veterinary technician. I graduated with BS in Medical Technology and the company that hired me also has someone there working as a Veterinary technician with the same degree I finished. My employer was disappointed too about the result their HR will try to communicate to MOM about the reason of rejection. Will it be considered if my employer will make an appeal?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Not suitable for the declared occupation

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 30 Oct 2017 10:17 pm

Jnkrzlr1225 wrote:Hi everyone here.

I saw the result of my S Pass application today and it was rejected. The reason given was that I was not suitable for the declared occupation. It was a job as a Veterinary technician. I graduated with BS in Medical Technology and the company that hired me also has someone there working as a Veterinary technician with the same degree I finished. My employer was disappointed too about the result their HR will try to communicate to MOM about the reason of rejection. Will it be considered if my employer will make an appeal?
Do you have experience?

Yes, the employer can only appeal and see how it goes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Oct 2017 11:16 pm

How long as the other person been working there?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jnkrzlr1225

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Tue, 31 Oct 2017 10:34 am

Yes I have 2 yrs and 5 months experience as a medical technologist and when I went to the animal center for my work orientation, the job is pretty much the same with my experience like bloos chemistry tests, blood analysis and other stuff it's just that the samples are from animals not humans. My employer said their HR will try to talk to MOM for other their reason of rejection. Because they also had applied before for someone who has the same educational background and experience as I have. And she is still currently working for them as a Veterinary technician for 6 yrs now. That's what made me wonder why the remarks for rejection was not suitable for the declared occupation. :(

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:34 am

it sounds as though MOM have either tightened up the criteria to require a more specific qual or decided that the occupation (a very small niche here) should be filled by a local in due course. I expect the other EP will have issues renewing eventually.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Jnkrzlr1225

Post by Jnkrzlr1225 » Tue, 31 Oct 2017 12:18 pm

If that's the case then maybe i should just accept things and move on. Thank you for all your responses. :)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 31 Oct 2017 1:24 pm

By this logic, most people in the IT industry and not computer science grads should have a problem. Many of us have studied something totally different from what we are working on.

I guess the education requirement is more stringent for S pass. Try to get an EP.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 31 Oct 2017 1:27 pm

Wd40 wrote:By this logic, most people in the IT industry and not computer science grads should have a problem. Many of us have studied something totally different from what we are working on.
Oh, you don't know MOM Is making it harder and harder for foreign IT personnel, in line with their serious ongoing PCP .. for PMETS ??

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 31 Oct 2017 1:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:By this logic, most people in the IT industry and not computer science grads should have a problem. Many of us have studied something totally different from what we are working on.
Oh, you don't know MOM Is making it harder and harder for foreign IT personnel, in line with their serious ongoing PCP .. for PMETS ??
One of my colleagues wife was working in project management through a consultant for a foreign bank here. Her salary was 5k. MoM rejected her EP renewal. Then the company gave her a hike of 1k and the EP was approved. Imagine her delight, she got a hike thanks to MoM. Many people from companies like tcs, Infy and Wipro have got nice hikes last couple of years thanks to MoM. Rents are going down meanwhile. This is huge win win. In my own case my rent is now 18% of my salary. During the peak of 2013, it was 27% of my salary. So I am loving it so far.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk