Singapore Expats Forum

Has anyone on a UK passport had a 3 month entry stamp?!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jumping into the void

Has anyone on a UK passport had a 3 month entry stamp?!

Postby Jumping into the void » Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:56 pm

I'm coming to Singapore to (HOPEFULLY!) find work. I've got a few interviews lined up but I'm just a bit worried about the entry/visa procedure - I have a UK passport, but no family in Singapore, only friends who I'll be living with during my job search. Will I be able to get a Social Visit Pass?

Also, I've been reading over the posts and it's a little disheartening - are employment prospects in Singapore really that bad right now?

If I could kindly ask for someone's personal opinion; I have a Masters (Anthropology/History) and five years experience in IT, research and education (both teaching and course creation/management). I'm 26 - what are my chances?!!

votentia

Postby votentia » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 7:04 am

Apply for a long term social visit pass (LTSVP) that specifically allows you to seek employment. This would buy you about six months and it can renewed. It should cost no more than £15-£20.

However, this can only be issued in Singapore (the immigration office) and you would need a Singaporean or a Singapore PR to sponsor your application (i.e their pink/blue identication card and a signed form).

The good news is that this can be completed in the day if you arrive early enough and it would not take more than two if you have all the necessary documents in place (e.g original educational cetificates, previous employment references, proof of income, sponsor etc).

Good luck!

Jumping into the void

Re

Postby Jumping into the void » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 2:46 pm

Hi Votentia,

Thanks very much for your help! :D

Is the job market in Singapore gettiong better do you think? I'm just not sure if I should wait until I have a firm job offer in SG, or is i easier to apply for jobs once you're there?

Cheers again,