Singapore Expats Forum

Living in Singapore for a year, starting to miss my previous relocation alot. Help?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

DrJanice

Living in Singapore for a year, starting to miss my previous relocation alot. Help?

Postby DrJanice » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 1:42 pm

I am originally from the UK, 13 years ago I came to Indonesia for expatriate work. I lived in Indonesia for 12 years.

I absolutely loved Indonesia with the depths of my heart, it became my home especially as I was there for 12 years. Last year I was relocated to Singapore, it's been approximately a year. For the first say 11 months it was different to Indonesia obviously, but I still liked it a lot. But this week I feel different. I went to Thailand last week for vacation, it reminded me so much of Jakarta back in Indonesia. I came back yesterday, and I feel like Singapore is not my home. It feels like the apartment I live in is just a hotel, and it's not the same. I can't describe it, I can't put my finger on what it is that's upsetting me. It feels like I am on permanent vacation. I love Singapore a lot, and the people are nice I prefer it to the UK, however I don't know how to say it in words but maybe I don't find comfort in such a busy city. Maybe I got too used to living in Indonesia.

Will this feeling pass in due time? :(

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Living in Singapore for a year, starting to miss my previous relocation alot. Help?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 2:14 pm

I'm still waiting and I've been here 35 years. (However I did work in Indonesia from 1982 to 1992 - 2 months there working and 1 month off in Singapore). :-k

DrJanice

Re: Living in Singapore for a year, starting to miss my previous relocation alot. Help?

Postby DrJanice » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 3:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm still waiting and I've been here 35 years. (However I did work in Indonesia from 1982 to 1992 - 2 months there working and 1 month off in Singapore). :-k

When you say waiting, waiting for the feeling to wear off?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 4:16 pm

Yeah. Still hasn't. Been married to a local for 34 years, have two grown children and a grandson and it still doesn't feel like home. I grew up on a dairy farm. I inherently don't like cities. But sometimes you have to live where the work is.

DrJanice

Postby DrJanice » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 4:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah. Still hasn't. Been married to a local for 34 years, have two grown children and a grandson and it still doesn't feel like home. I grew up on a dairy farm. I inherently don't like cities. But sometimes you have to live where the work is.

You are very much right so, and maybe I will never become accustom to it like I did to Indonesia. It's hard to find a city homely I suppose. Thank you :)

bgd
Editor
Editor

Postby bgd » Tue, 24 Oct 2017 6:46 pm

When I first joined this forum there were a few threads talking about the novelty of living in Sg wearing off. If memory serves me correctly it was 1-2 years for most people.

After 10 years I still like it here but it will never be home. Would love to try Jakarta. Think I'd fit in there very well. :)